• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where to start Dr. Strange?

39 posts in this topic

For many years in the 80s and 90s, I worked at a comic store in Bethlehem, PA (Dreamscape Comics). Stern's wife's (I believe her name was Carlita) family was from there, and every time they came to visit, they would stop into the store.

He was extremely nice, always wanted to talk comics, the earlier days of fandom, and what he was working on (whether it was Spider-Man, the Avengers, or Superman).

And he loved comics.

I wish there were more writers like Stern in today's comics.

Hell, I wish Stern was writing more of today's comics.

The problem is today's comics are (in general) not written that way anymore. If Stern were given the leeway to write those kind of stories in comics today, paired with artists from the 70s/80s, I'd sit up an take notice. Not going to happen though. They probably wouldn't sell to today's audiences :(

The problem is today's comics are (in general) not written that way anymore. If Stern were given the leeway to write those kind of stories in comics today, paired with artists from the 70s/80s, I'd sit up an take notice. Not going to happen though. They probably wouldn't sell to today's audiences :(

It all depends on what you do, how you do it, and what you care about.

You can write for any audience if you care about the essential element of the Marvel age, and make it engaging for any kind of reader. It all resides in the ability of the writer AND the attitude of the publisher.

@David: I just love the late issues of Dr. Strange vol.1, you just have to read them in the right sequence, after the various phases of the earlier stories by Lee, Ditko, Severin et al.

The Englehart ones are pretty sophisticate, but I prefer the Thomas ones, and then vol. 2 and the second Strange Tales short lived run.

Strange Tales 115 and then 130-146

I'd say all the Ditko work but I can't argue with this selection (perhaps with #110 and Nightmare).

Seriously, if you don't read the Ditko issues, how can you appreciate the depth of the character?

If the focus is where to start on the Bronze Age Dr. Strange, I'd go with Premiere #3. It has cool Barry Smith art and a mind-bending story line, including a face appearing out of a tree and talking to the good spaced-out Doctor. After that ish, it's excellent Brunner art. I like those issues.

Those ought to lay to rest any doubts as where to start. (thumbs u:applause:

I believe there are good "entry points" in the various decades. Up to when they screwed up most or all characters, that is! lol

Dr. Strange ceases to be interesting and/or solid even in the hands of Roy Thomas: he should have never "showed" entities like Cyttorak / Agamotto et al…

Strange Tales 115 and then 130-146

I'd say all the Ditko work but I can't argue with this selection (perhaps with #110 and Nightmare).

I think Ditko's Dr Strange is one of the strongest comics of the Marvel age. Strong right out of the gate - every issue building on the last. Brilliant! Such a depth of character and scope and a solid groundwork for all the great writers and artists to follow.