• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby Sketches

29 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I took a chance on a ebay auction and bought a Kirby thing sketch. I am cautiously optimist that it is real. It was shipped today so I figured its safe to post. Its is about 4"x3" and looks like it was cut from a sketchbook or something. The seller has a low feedback but seems to only deal in autographs (Yes I know easily faked) and everyone has to start at the bottom sometime. He stated he got it from a creation con years back. It looked pretty good to me. The sign seems right compared to my other Kirby items. What do you guys think?

Also please feel free to show off your Kirby sketches.

s-l1600%205_zps7fc4qxtc.jpg

I thought that too about the face, but honestly I have seen much worse from Kirby in terms of sketches and oddities in the way they were drawn. Overall I think the Think looks really good for a quick sketch. Still I am no expert.

Well to start the signature looks off. Jack is sloping down, while Kirby is sloping up. Not to mention the pressure points don't look right on the K. Then there are issues with Thing's face as Vodou mentioned,

The fact that it is small and seems cut out is a red flag. Forgers draw a bunch until they get one that looks ok then cut it out.

I see your points here is another rendition of the thing by Kirby.

jack_kirby_zpsuyegtbyx.gif

You're probably sharing the signature here, but looking at the quick/loose sketch itself...even though it's exactly that, it "reeks" Kirby, all his shorthand is there. That's where you can "feel" a fake - it's not effortless.

Unless you really like it or got it so cheap it doesn't justify the return shipping -kick it back.

The fact that it is small and seems cut out is a red flag. Forgers draw a bunch until they get one that looks ok then cut it out.

But at the same time people cut up convention books all the time to just have the drawing. These are all valid points though and I understand the high likelihood of it being fake.

It was the roundness of the rocks, as opposed to the more typical jagged edges (as in the other sketch) that raised red flags for me. But even so.. the Thing is not a character you normally would see for a "quick" sketch so it's tough to judge.

Folks who can speak to the signature will hold a lot more authority here. Fingers crossed you didn't pay too much.

Just wait for Glen to post. He is literally the leading Kirby expert and can virtually smell a Kirby.

Both of those look pretty unlikely. The first one is a tracing out of FF 40, one of the latter pages where he's fighting Doom. Some clown on eBay was selling a forgery based on that last year. The latter one is also something someone wanted to believe was real. How good a signature looks generally doesn't mean much -- Jack would sign anything people put in front of him (famously including a Neal Adams cover) and one person I know well said the only easy thing to fake on a Kirby is his signature.

And btw, I love being so highly thought of, but I'm not the leading expert.

Both of those look pretty unlikely. The first one is a tracing out of FF 40, one of the latter pages where he's fighting Doom. Some clown on eBay was selling a forgery based on that last year. The latter one is also something someone wanted to believe was real. How good a signature looks generally doesn't mean much -- Jack would sign anything people put in front of him (famously including a Neal Adams cover) and one person I know well said the only easy thing to fake on a Kirby is his signature.

I don't know man.....only a leading expert would deny being a leading expert....

Thanks Glen, The image seemed familiar, but chalked it up to the standard pose and figured it was rough due to being so small and using a marker. I guess back it goes.

Yeah, and I shoulda stuck with my first post and kept my mouth shut otherwise. Suddenly the second one looks shtty too. So just fade me ha ha. I can probably spot a fake pretty good (I'm really risk adverse in all things) but not so good on authentic.