• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variant Cover Themes

10 posts in this topic

The first "variant theme" was Portacio's brilliantly done Wildstorm variants in 1994, the first "interlocking" set of variants.

Then, we had the same thing by Quesada the following year for the Extreme books.

Of course, the white variants by Marvel of 1999-2001 were very well done, and very, very nice.

And the Marvel Authentix Sketch Covers were nice, too.

Of course, you could make the case that Valiant's "gold" books were a theme, but I think that might be stretching it a bit.

I like variants/themes that exhibit good art and not gimmicks. I like Deadpool, but not on every book. same for Gwenpool, or Harley. I like sketch covers. not ink, sketch where you can see the linework. If i were in charge of marketing... i think it would be marketing... anyway, if i were in charge of whatever branch variants come from, I would have the comic industry booming with flavor. I'd love to see a legends month where comic legends draw legendary characters. Then a through the ages month were we see art of characters and how they've changed over time. an alternate costume month, but the costumes have a theme i.e. Canada Day! see where im going here?

Then a through the ages month were we see art of characters and how they've changed over time.

Marvel has already done that in a limited manner:

http://www.mylatestdistraction.com/?p=7779

Those are nice looking covers. Even though the '90s can sometimes be over the top, a lot of those costume designs were excellent imo.

Let's have a variant where EVERY BOOK that month has the same cover. For every publisher. And all actual issue data (Barcode ect) on the back cover.

I second the barcode and data on the back cover. I hate having a nice cover ruined by a big block of barcode.