• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your modus operandi?

42 posts in this topic

I buy back issues and I have a small pull list at my comic shop. The back issues are all from dollar bins so I am usually 5 years behind everyone else. I will pick up TPBs any time and give just about anything interesting a chance. TPBs do come from a used source so I am not breaking the bank. Since they are used and not a problem around the house my wife does not mind, which helps too. I even got some good reads from PIF when it was around and even got some books that my wife wanted to read too. I don't get things to flip because I am not the very most knowledgeable about all comics and passed up a key book for a buck because I didn't know it was Hellboy's first appearance.

If not noticed yet I buy to read, if I can make money off of something then wonderful.

I generally buy in spurts. Maybe a big splurge every two or three months.

Exclusively back issues. I couldn't care less about what's brand new be it comics, books, or video games. There's a ton of backlog that I'll never get through as is; why pay high prices when I haven't explored the stuff from a decade ago yet?

Read first, then collect. I'll one day get off my lazy derriere and sell some duplicates I've acquired over the years, but I buy to read pretty much 100% of the time. I do, however, derive some pleasure from my collection; I'd be a liar to claim otherwise. Material boy.