• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are TPB good investments or purely for entertainment value?

195 posts in this topic

I'm just getting back into comics and although I like to buy what holds value (so I'm not just chucking out $$) I do like to read most all that I get. In the 90's the TPB weren't in high demand and I never got into them, but now I think buying those would be the better route for me instead of trying to round up entire "runs" so that I can read in order. Is it just a given that once you buy the TPB that you've sunk your $$ into something that will not appreciate, or are TPB possible assets when discussing investments?

(BTW, I'm also looking for good reads so could you lmk what some good TPB's are to pick up..or omnibuses- I think that is what they are called???)

TPBs are for reading only-no collectible value whatsoever.

Best books going are the Brubaker/Phillips books.

Best books going are the Brubaker/Phillips BKV books.

Fixed :)

I agree with Kav about the TPB's. They are not to be looked at as an investment. If you keep your eye out you can pick up TPB's/HC's at significant discounted prices for great reads.

I agree with Kav about the TPB's. They are not to be looked at as an investment. If you keep your eye out you can pick up TPB's/HC's at significant discounted prices for great reads.

The only BKV books I've read are ex machina-not even close to Brubaker/Phillips level of story telling.

20 years ago, EVERYONE (except for the nutjobs :insane: ) would have agreed that reprints of current books are worthless. Reading purposes only. Now a mid-1990s 4th print of Man of Steel #18 sells for hundreds.

So who really knows when it comes to TPBs.

20 years ago, EVERYONE (except for the nutjobs :insane: ) would have agreed that reprints of current books are worthless. Reading purposes only. Now a mid-1990s 4th print of Man of Steel #18 sells for hundreds.

So who really knows when it comes to TPBs.

I hear Beanie Babies and McDonald's Toys are going to make a comeback...

You're right, anything is possible - but plausibility is a different story. Don't lead the OP down an implausible path of reasoning him/herself into "investing" in TPBs.

There are plenty of tpb's/HC's that hold their value, and some that sell for multiples of original retail. At shows it's rare that at least one dealer won't have a few boxes of $5 trades. Even if you do go full retail on a few, they make for more satisfying reading in arcs anyway IMO.

You should try the vol.1's of several. If you want to continue, you can generally get the next book or two at a discount without trying too hard whether it's ebay, or an actual book store.

The only BKV books I've read are ex machina-not even close to Brubaker/Phillips level of story telling.

Hard to make a fair comparison when you have only read one of their works.

I'll take every pre-1997 first printing Marvel trade you have. Since they have no value, just box them up and send them to me.

I'll take every pre-1997 first printing Marvel trade you have. Since they have no value, just box them up and send them to me.

There are quite a few TPBs, particularly some rare Dark Horse Star Wars, that have significant value.

There are also quite a few pre=2000 TPBs from Marvel and DC that have value, too.

Of course, there are TPBs like Magnus v. Predator...

Quite a few.

Post-2000, maybe not so much (except for those rare Star Wars TPBs), but prior to 2000? First printings? Yes, quite a few.

The Sandman hardcovers, especially the Season of Mists leather first printing...the Infinity Gauntlet first printing...and then there's the Diamond trades, like Vamiprella, Spawn, Spiderman, Unity, etc, that have quite a bit of value.

Hard to make a fair comparison when you have only read one of their works.

If you're saying that's their worst work the worst Brubaker/Phillips smokes it.

OOP editions have market value. Moreso with Hardcovers than TPBs, but if content is OOP it has value in the market more often than not.

For newer books, most or the OOP action is in the HC and oversized HC area since the publishers keep TPBs around and "green" for a loooong time for IP reasons. We saw this with Gotham Central and the Guardians of the Galaxy OHCs.

The problem with investing in the OOP market is that value is almost completely based on scarcity. If the publisher suddenly decides to print a new edition of an OOP book, the value of the first edition typically tanks. Most collectors care about the content and the format, not which printing the book is. So you can have an Omnibus be out of print and selling briskly for 2-3x retail (so $200-$300) and then Marvel announces they are going back to print and your book can now be purchased new for $50-60 (preorder with discounters like DCBS).

So the trick with OOP is [REDACTED]

;)