• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Fan Expo 2016 - November 11 - 13th 2016

32 posts in this topic

Very happy to return in 2016 as your Comic Expo Coordinator. I was the Canadian Comic Guest Coordinator for the first Vancouver Fan Expo but had to leave because of workload at home (I had just opened a store that year). Needless to say we are working hard to acquire a great roster of comic book creators for the fans in Vancouver and I look forward to working with the local community of artists.

I'll let you know about any guest announcements here, and I am happy to help where I can if you have any questions.

Open for discussion! Hope to see you at this show. I do not know if they will improve up this year after last few years since, but let's see... Here is the link to get tickets.

Vancouver Fan Expo 2016

Thanks FanBoy for making this thread. Someone had posted on the other thread the logistics of bringing a long box of comics into Canada and then back into the USA.

If you are going up as a fan (non-exhibitor) you should not have a problem. Simply inform the border agent if asked that you are going to a comic book show in downtown Vancouver and that you are taking your comics to be autographed, if that is what you are doing. Coming back into the USA, you basically would tell the agent coming into the country the same thing.

As an exhibitor its an entirely different stoy. Remember they don't have to allow you into the country, they can deny entry for any reason so as an exhibtor heading up to do a show, such as the Vancouver Fan Expo, you have to make sure you have everything in order. Its a lot more work than doing a show locally, because you are technically entering another country to conduct business.

For me I went as an exhibitor setting up for years #1 and #2 for the Fan Expo Vancouver show. It was a new show and a friend of mine and I wanted to give it a try, but its not a long drive from Seattle and the city is beautiful and lots of great people up there. Entering Canada you have to have a bunch of paperwork filled out, etc. When you have a carload of product, its clear that the person isn't just a fan going to a show, but an exhibitor. The first year of Fan Expo I got through the border with zero problems, literally. The second year was the complete opposite. We got held up at customs and while customs cleared us, my friend made the mistake of originally going into the "Immigration" office rather than customs. They sent us to customs and then went back to Immigration to inform them we were clear to go. But the Immigration officer held us for two hours who debating with customs about us going in without proper paperwork, etc. You see as a fan, it would not be a problem, but as an exhibitor we were concerned, because our booths were paid for, it was the day before the show, hotels arranged so IF we were not allowed in, it would have cost us a fortunate, let alone lost revenue. We were told things such as we needed a Canadian resident at our booth to accept the money from customers, etc. It was all a nightmare. Ultimately, we were allowed to head up but we lost several hours of standing around going back and forth pleading our case. You also have to have a complete manifest of your inventory you are taking up and the value, we were not told we needed that the first time we went up.

Now this is not the convention's fault, but it doesn't surprise me why there are not very many USA dealers as exhibitors at the Vancouver Fan Expo show during the first few years mainly because of the logistics getting into Canada with the product. For the first year I think my friend and I were the only dealers from the USA, but it also was an unproven show at the time. We did quite well, what was interesting was the people. Having done ECCC for several years and continue to do it, I would say 99% of the people I saw at the first Vancouver show I had never seen before, and they all said they had never been to a con before and were unsure what to expect.

Come to think of it, I believe booth space wsa 8x8, but for some reason I thought it was 10x10. If memory serves me correctly it could have been because I think an exhibitor next to us didn't show up and they gave us his booth as well so it didn't appear empty so we had three booths instead of two for that first year. Year #2 we didn't care for the venue change, it wasn't as nice, and the guest list was not that great outside of Stan Lee.

Year #3 I sat out as an exhibitor but went up as a fan. I am glad I did because my friend who set up with me the first two years (who decided to in fact set up for year #3) got hit hard at the border and had to pay over $500 in fees to get across, something we had avoided for years #1 and #2. So that means right there, no only is the focus on making back the booth fee, hotel, and other expenses, now to turn a profit he had to make another $500+ to cover the fees charged to him at the border. It cuts into profit big time and with the booth fees increasing significantly from years #1 to years #3, I am glad I sat out that year as an exhibitor but another reason was that the guest list focused mostly on media guests, which tends to be a trend with shows, and not on comic guests. That is one of the big complaints I have been hearing about this years ECCC that the guest list is quite weak compared to years past and people are selling their tickets instead of going bacause the bulk of the guests either have been here multiple times before or live locally that fans have meet several times over before. If you bring in bigger name guests who haven;'t been out this way, fans will show up. I think cons are popping up all over the place, losing sight of the comic fans and focusing too much emphasis on C and D list actors. After entry fee and paying for an autograph, or photo with a celebrity, people tend to not have any left over for buying items from exhibitors.

I am curious how the November show will be. If it was easier to get across the border with product and the guest list is substantial enough to warranty the costs, I would like to try the show again, it mainly falls on the border, its a toss up, you can get an agent who lets you with no problem, or you can get one who creates a nightmare for you. I may start looking into it soon because I do enjoy that city, nice being so close to Seattle too.

Very happy to return in 2016 as your Comic Expo Coordinator. I was the Canadian Comic Guest Coordinator for the first Vancouver Fan Expo but had to leave because of workload at home (I had just opened a store that year). Needless to say we are working hard to acquire a great roster of comic book creators for the fans in Vancouver and I look forward to working with the local community of artists.

I'll let you know about any guest announcements here, and I am happy to help where I can if you have any questions.

Congrats on returning Kevin, I am looking forward to the announcements as they occur. While local talent is always welcome at a show, its the bigger name guests that bring in the fan base, that I am sure you already know. For me a show should be about quality of guests, not quantity. You could have a show with 100 unknown guests or a show with 5-10 bigger well known name guests and the latter would make for a more successful show than the former. I have been setting up at shows for 25 years, I have my wish list for people I would love to meet but I am just one opinion, but I do hope we see some amazing talent at the show in November. Even if I don't set up, I will probably come for the show as fan since I rarely get to enjoy a show from a fan's perspective.

I've gone with dealers in the opposite direction, and from Ontario, not BC, into the US to set up at shows, and I can tell you honestly that every time was a different experience. Months in advance we had to contact a customs broker, and we were presented with different fees depending on the amount of merchandise being brought over the border, but let's say the average price at the time was about $650 in brokerage fees. They would advise on the level of detail required for paperwork and I would say 90% of the time it was never what was advised. There were some that said estimate content cost per box and indicate 300 misc. comic books valued between one and five dollars each. Others said list every item individually and the cost per item. We would always spend hours at the brokerage office at the border with the paperwork but usually there was no inspection - entering was simple, pay your fees, do your paperwork. Papers would be reviewed, questions asked and that was that.... off we'd go to Chicago, or New York, or Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

At certain shows state tax reps would question us about sales and require paperwork, at others nothing.

Coming back it was relatively easy, you provide the paperwork, an estimate of contents sold and moved through relatively easily. Canada Customs would on occasion ask to see a manifest and on some occasions say it wasn't good enough and send us through with a warning.

It is my understanding that you need to do the reverse as a vendor setting up in Canada, that you make arrangements with a brokerage firm. This issues for cross border vending for most are the brokerage fees and issues related to the collection of local taxes. Always good to talk to a professional at customs and see what is needed well in advance.

Now as a fan I've crossed the border many times with comics. If I'm just going to get stuff signed that's fine, my primary occupation is not comic book dealer so I've never had issues. Store owner friends of mine have been hassled by customs before and denied entry with half boxes as that is seen as commercial merchandise.

I've gone with dealers in the opposite direction, and from Ontario, not BC, into the US to set up at shows, and I can tell you honestly that every time was a different experience. Months in advance we had to contact a customs broker, and we were presented with different fees depending on the amount of merchandise being brought over the border, but let's say the average price at the time was about $650 in brokerage fees. They would advise on the level of detail required for paperwork and I would say 90% of the time it was never what was advised. There were some that said estimate content cost per box and indicate 300 misc. comic books valued between one and five dollars each. Others said list every item individually and the cost per item. We would always spend hours at the brokerage office at the border with the paperwork but usually there was no inspection - entering was simple, pay your fees, do your paperwork. Papers would be reviewed, questions asked and that was that.... off we'd go to Chicago, or New York, or Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

At certain shows state tax reps would question us about sales and require paperwork, at others nothing.

Coming back it was relatively easy, you provide the paperwork, an estimate of contents sold and moved through relatively easily. Canada Customs would on occasion ask to see a manifest and on some occasions say it wasn't good enough and send us through with a warning.

You are basicallly experiencing the same thing I have, but from the other side of the border. Getting into Canada for me was the hassle, getting back into the USA was simply, I just was told to pull over to the office, pay an $11 fee and that was it. They did a security search eyeing the content and having a dog walk around the vehcile but that was all. I am not in the comic side of the business, I specialize in a collectible that is not comic book-based. For you it sounds like the issues would be getting into the USA and then back into Canada was simple. I do wish it was easier for both sides of the border, more dealers from Canada would set up down here and vice versa.

Van Fan Expo year 1 booths were 10' x 10'.

Year 2 booth rate went up, size reduced to 10' across, 8' deep.

Year 3 booth rate went up, sized reduced to 8' x 8' which allowed much wider aisle space so less crowding problems on the busier Sat. and Sun. with media guests, photo ops, etc.

Bringing long boxes from Vancouver down to Seattle con to sell is a royal pain, as the border wants a detailed manifest of your entire inventory and for your to use a Border Brokerage Service. In the past, Customs has requested that all comics be barcoded so Canada Customs knows exactly what product was sold in USA and what collectibles are being returned to Canada, so they can tax u on incoming fresh inventory to Canada. Can't let u bring untaxed USA sourced goods into Canada, as that would give u a 5 to 12% or more (if imported goods are assessed duty) competitive tax advantage over other Canadian businesses or hobby vendors (self-employed eBay flippers).

Fantasing facts to know from both a vendor's view of each other side of the border!

Now as a fan I've crossed the border many times with comics. If I'm just going to get stuff signed that's fine, my primary occupation is not comic book dealer so I've never had issues. Store owner friends of mine have been hassled by customs before and denied entry with half boxes as that is seen as commercial merchandise.

Had the same experience as a fan with some of my comics I brought from the cons or stores in the past in the U.S. The interesting difference is that in pre- 9/11 era was a breeze back to Canada home. After that, I had to have all documents or recipits in hand if a customs officer require to see. That is to pay customs duty fee if a certain amount is over limits. Other than that, it has been fine with me on many of my trips up north home. I got waived past the border often.

You are basicallly experiencing the same thing I have, but from the other side of the border. Getting into Canada for me was the hassle, getting back into the USA was simply, I just was told to pull over to the office, pay an $11 fee and that was it. They did a security search eyeing the content and having a dog walk around the vehcile but that was all. I am not in the comic side of the business, I specialize in a collectible that is not comic book-based. For you it sounds like the issues would be getting into the USA and then back into Canada was simple. I do wish it was easier for both sides of the border, more dealers from Canada would set up down here and vice versa.

Along while I am not a big vendor like you guys are, I have had my share of transporting the books to the U.S. (to ship them away within the States). I was stopped by the U.S. Customs and had them inspected my van. Paid the $11 fee ... That was more of a hassle for me than back to Canada, so you know that.

I learned it is important to have ALL documents or recipits all the time at both sides of border. Once I forget that - one time, and it was a nightmare I tell you.

Now, about the con with guest lists? I find that if a con come up with enough special guests be it an artist or a writer of a comic book or books. Any con that have more than 3-4 guests or higher, I will go for sure. Of course, having sufficient comic-related stuff is a factor of that. Last year I went to Calgary Expo because there were more guests and stuff, so I did the whole weekend full. Got my value worth it by attending. Vancouver Fan Expo last year? Zero guests that I'd be interested, very little comics browsing, so I spent only one day there. That's it.

I'm hoping this year with new dates in fall season will change that for the better. I got some faith in you, Kevin. Of course, vendors need the 10x10 tables, not the 8x8 ones! :baiting:

Not everyone is on Facebook orTwitter. For April, 2015, Fan Expo Vancouver just updated Facebook feed or tweeted that Berni Wrightson and George Perez would not be able to attend DAYS before the comicon. Mike Zeck had cancelled about 10 days before Van Fan Expo but thank goodness showed up to sign autographs, promote his art book, etc.

I know long time collectors who brought a knapsack FULL of Perez and Wrightson comics to get signed, prepaid for 1 day admission, then still :devil: lined up for 1.5 hrs to get in on the Sat. due to crowd control to be BITTERLY disappointed that 2 of 3 main comic headliners could not show up. Zeck was OK as he had not visited a Van comicon in over 20 years.

I can image the faces of these long time collectors with knapsacks full the moment they learn Berni Wrightson and George Perez won't be there for last year's con. Poor devils ... And to have lug heavy bags on their backs for nothing.

I did know both guests wasn't gonna be there as I had checked updates often. I already had met Berni many years ago at another show. He signed my Superman poster (his work) at the time.

We will do our best to let people know in advance, sometimes guests have personal matters that come up unexpectedly at the last minute. I wasn't on the team last year, but Mr. Wrightson's illness has been discussed elsewhere online, and George Perez was very apologetic. I'm hoping things will align for him to attend.

I recall there being some confusion over booth size, but I believe it is 8x8, the same as Fan Expo Canada.

Van Fan Expo year 1 booths were 10' x 10'.

Year 2 booth rate went up, size reduced to 10' across, 8' deep.

Year 3 booth rate went up, sized reduced to 8' x 8' which allowed much wider aisle space so less crowding problems on the busier Sat. and Sun. with media guests, photo ops, etc.

Bringing long boxes from Vancouver down to Seattle con to sell is a royal pain, as the border wants a detailed manifest of your entire inventory and for your to use a Border Brokerage Service. In the past, Customs has requested that all comics be barcoded so Canada Customs knows exactly what product was sold in USA and what collectibles are being returned to Canada, so they can tax u on incoming fresh inventory to Canada. Can't let u bring untaxed USA sourced goods into Canada, as that would give u a 5 to 12% or more (if imported goods are assessed duty) competitive tax advantage over other Canadian businesses or hobby vendors (self-employed eBay flippers).

Yeah I somehow recall year #1 for Vancouver as being 10x10 booth space as that has generally been the noorm. Looking back my friend and I each had that size booth at that show, and on the third day we got lucky as the exhibitor to our right didn't show as it was some sort of local promotional company giving away items and we aborbed their booth (wiwth permission of course). I had my doubts about that show based on how small it was, but it turned out to be a pretty good show, same with year #2. I don't know why I keep thinking there was a fourth show, when in fact they have had only three, and I sat out year #3 as an exhibitor but went up as a fan to do a commissioned signing with Tony Moore and see some creator friends of mine.

Depending on the guest list and the costs for this year's show I may consider it, but a lot has to do with that damn border crossing. ;-)

We will do our best to let people know in advance, sometimes guests have personal matters that come up unexpectedly at the last minute. I wasn't on the team last year, but Mr. Wrightson's illness has been discussed elsewhere online, and George Perez was very apologetic. I'm hoping things will align for him to attend.

I recall there being some confusion over booth size, but I believe it is 8x8, the same as Fan Expo Canada.

8x8 for years 2 and 3 it sounds like, they should reconsider going back to 10x10, Fan Expo Canada I can understand with the amount of dealers and attendees going with 8x8, for Vancouver, that show isn't nearly the size of their main show in Toronto and having 10x10 would be expected I would imagine.

Guest list wise, there are always guests who cancel out, same with media guests but I generally can understand why media guests cancel, due to filming, but comic guests generally set their own time schedule. But the Wrightson appearance not happening was because of Bernie's illness at the time so the man deserves a pass on that. Perez is a very nice man and hates to miss a show too but there are times when its just not meant to be and something comes up, be it illness, or a family emergency that prevents them from attending a show and fans should know that is always something that could happen and be respectful of it.

How about JSC? :wishluck:

Re: 10x10s - I'll pass that along.

I agree, J. Scott Campbell would be a great!

Thanks Kevin, I just was a bit surprised when I saw how crammed the exhbitor space seemed to be. When I approached my friends booth, it looked more like a 6x6 than even an 8x8 and the flow of traffic was all appearing to be away from the exhibitors than people walking the aisles between the various exhibitor booths. Some other exhibitors were not very happy about the layout and said they would complain officially but I have no idea if they did.

Guest-wise, ultimately if they put a stronger emphasis in bringing bigger name guests, especiallly those who have not been to the Seattle/Vancouver area, or those who have not been there in quite some time, it would pull in more fans from the Seattle and Portland areas.

I'd love to see Brian Bolland, Warren Ellis, Dave McKean, and several others appear but that is wishful thinking and probably won't happen, but I do feel Vancouver Fan Expo was wise to move the show as far off from ECCC as possible, because having it a few weeks after was not enough time. Moving to November could be a much better move ith the Christmas holiday then just around the corner after the show.

I'm not sure what prompted the move to November, but I am aware with all of the US election requirements a lot of facilities all over the USA had to adjust their show dates earlier in the year, causing a big trickle down effect on bookings. So it works in our favour in the opposite way as there won't be many other events happening elsewhere then.

I love Vancouver, I grew up in East Vancouver (lived there for five years as a child) and as I talk to comic pros it is the show they are most intrigued in because who doesn't want to visit Vancouver?

Often booth sizes are determined based on floor plan, working with the facility, the fire marshalls, etc. I liked the first one we did a lot, but haven't been since the first show.

As I mentioned we've got some pretty cool guests signed on so far, I will continue to work with the team on getting some interesting original, never been there before comic guests for west coast fans to meet. Suggestions are always welcome!

Pretty sure what precipitated the move of Van Fan Expo from Easter to Nov, 2016 was that it was hard to get quality media or comic guests competing against Wondercon on the same Easter weekend, as both comicons on the West coast. Also as previously mentioned, Van Fan Expo was just a few weeks after the mega-huge ECCC plus Vancouver attendance was not growing even though the Fan Expo moved to Easter long weekend in 2015.

Yes, the Vancouver vendors were squashed into their 8' x 8' booths literally butting :pullhair: into their comic buddy or sales helper. That is what u get when square footage for homes or condo/apartments in Vancouver is higher than San Fran or NYC.