• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Fan Expo 2016 - November 11 - 13th 2016

32 posts in this topic

When I came on, there was talk of moving Vancouver back to earlier in the year, but the con schedule is pretty squashed this year as I mentioned before, and it's nice to have some space between events, as we are doing one a month between now and June, so I don't see how we could have had a Vancouver show in April or May with Toronto, Regina, Megacon and Dallas all taking place between March and June. We'll be one a month again September through December as well so it is a busy year all around for us

You consider one show, we have to consider five cities, three of which have more than one event a year.

We're used to 8x8s here in TO I guess. The 10x10s at the Toronto ComiCON are simply luxurious by comparison.

Pretty sure what precipitated the move of Van Fan Expo from Easter to Nov, 2016 was that it was hard to get quality media or comic guests competing against Wondercon on the same Easter weekend, as both comicons on the West coast. Also as previously mentioned, Van Fan Expo was just a few weeks after the mega-huge ECCC plus Vancouver attendance was not growing even though the Fan Expo moved to Easter long weekend in 2015.

Yes, the Vancouver vendors were squashed into their 8' x 8' booths literally butting :pullhair: into their comic buddy or sales helper. That is what u get when square footage for homes or condo/apartments in Vancouver is higher than San Fran or NYC.

It seems that a lot of shows want to be the first show of the year while others want to be the last. The conventon market is getting quite crowded, the established cons really don't have anything to worry about but so many start-up cons more than likely won't make it. Eventually the con market is going to be flooded, organizers will start having cons during months that generally are known not to have them.

I feel the Vancouver show moving to November will be better off than having the show in March/April when it was close to ECCC, WonderCon, and even Calgary Fan Expo as well as a few other shows. It was simply too crowded and moving Vancover to later in the year, while there is still competition with other cons but nothing severe, and it gives fans time to save up their funds and then with Christmas right around the corner, that is a big plus too.

October- November years ago used to be a dead time for cons, there pretty much was only one show and that was a one-day show in Portland (on a Sunday). Now the shows that are going on that I know are Rose City Comic Con in Portland which was nothing exciting last year who still seem to think local guests are the way to go which it isn't, and then a few smaller cons. I feel if Vancouver Fan Expo has solid strong guests this year, they are going to see not only a nice growth in attendence from fans all over the place.

Pretty sure what precipitated the move of Van Fan Expo from Easter to Nov, 2016 was that it was hard to get quality media or comic guests competing against Wondercon on the same Easter weekend, as both comicons on the West coast. Also as previously mentioned, Van Fan Expo was just a few weeks after the mega-huge ECCC plus Vancouver attendance was not growing even though the Fan Expo moved to Easter long weekend in 2015.

Yes, the Vancouver vendors were squashed into their 8' x 8' booths literally butting :pullhair: into their comic buddy or sales helper. That is what u get when square footage for homes or condo/apartments in Vancouver is higher than San Fran or NYC.

It seems that a lot of shows want to be the first show of the year while others want to be the last. The conventon market is getting quite crowded, the established cons really don't have anything to worry about but so many start-up cons more than likely won't make it. Eventually the con market is going to be flooded, organizers will start having cons during months that generally are known not to have them.

I feel the Vancouver show moving to November will be better off than having the show in March/April when it was close to ECCC, WonderCon, and even Calgary Fan Expo as well as a few other shows. It was simply too crowded and moving Vancover to later in the year, while there is still competition with other cons but nothing severe, and it gives fans time to save up their funds and then with Christmas right around the corner, that is a big plus too.

October- November years ago used to be a dead time for cons, there pretty much was only one show and that was a one-day show in Portland (on a Sunday). Now the shows that are going on that I know are Rose City Comic Con in Portland which was nothing exciting last year who still seem to think local guests are the way to go which it isn't, and then a few smaller cons. I feel if Vancouver Fan Expo has solid strong guests this year, they are going to see not only a nice growth in attendence from fans all over the place.

That was some of my thoughts like what you have said. I had wondered why Vancouver Fan Expo favor the April month in the last 3 years since. I was told by a staff member at Canada Place because that was the only opening they had to offer, many other events had took other dates many months before in advance in reserve. Few even pen in 2 years ahead!

This year, in November should be good. It do allow me to build up funds for this show. I like time space in between con shows to build up funds for each con. But this year is interesting with that many shows marked in dates to attend. I have not seen so much in local area! Fun times, eh?

But there is one thing that I am baffled ... The PNE grounds. I had wondered why didn't any of comic book con managers considered this place to host their shows there? Take Calgary Comic Expo as an example ... They had used the Calgary Saddledome grounds for 10 years since, the buildings there were fine for the use with few problems. It is much like the colsiusum at PNE and it did have similar buildings (like Big 4 at Saddledome). I mean, other events had used PNE as a place for their shows ... Cars, boats, different kinds ... Right? I believe EEEC has the same type of place in hosting their show, correct?

I realize that PNE isn't close to Skytrain like B.C. Place or Canada Place do. This is one of the big reasons for many people to attend. But there are buses going by PNE, shouldn't that count? Plus, there are parking spaces on the lots. I am just curious is all. Thanks.

The Convention Center seems like a logical place it is quite nice but I will admit I am not familiar with other venues there that could host it. Perhaps because the convention center offers a lot of parking is one reason and is close to so many hotels. Perhaps the show will be bigger in size utilizing more room than last year's show. A bit too soon to tell, I am sure we will get information as it is released.

The PNE and Coliseum grounds are occupied by the PNE, dog shows, music concerts, vendor displays, food concessions during potential peak comicon season which is summer Aug. to Labor Day Sept. There may be opportunity to run a pop culture show out of 1 of the Showmart buildings in June or July like there used to be a large sportscard show there during the hockey card spec craze circa 1990-93.

Yes, downtown quality Vancouver hotels are 20 minutes drive away from PNE grounds but this is equivalent to C2E2 where the closest Chicago hotel and McDonald's is about 1 mile from the convention center built over an industrial area surrounded by train tracks and metro rail lines.

Bottom line is that downtown Vancouver convention centre along the water and hiking distance from Waterfront skytrain and Seabus stations, or BC Place next to skytrain is more central and prestigious (pay for union labor) to entertain the masses and media/comic guests compared to the modest rental of all 3 halls of Croatian Cultural Centre in East Vancouver :foryou: like the quarterly Antique and Collectibles Fleamarket.

USA 'standard' 100 square feet of display space per vendor booth vs. Vancouver Fan expo's tight 64 square feet (8' x 8'). Vendor just lost a big :tonofbricks: 36 sq ft of precious retail space, thus pot-bellied vendors can't fit between their 8' x 2' table and A-frame wall rack so they sit in their chairs outside of their booth. :facepalm:

USA 'standard' 100 square feet of display space per vendor booth vs. Vancouver Fan expo's tight 64 square feet (8' x 8'). Vendor just lost a big :tonofbricks: 36 sq ft of precious retail space, thus pot-bellied vendors can't fit between their 8' x 2' table and A-frame wall rack so they sit in their chairs outside of their booth. :facepalm:

Trust me though when you are an exhibitor at a show, every inch of space is vital. Having x amount of space to display everything properly isn't easy, so every bit helps, the more room there is, the more product can be displayed.

Fan boy,

Regarding using the PNE grounds for a big Fan Expo:

the de-iced Coliseum ice rink (last renovated right before 2010 Winter Olympics) is now available for rent for events year round as the Vancouver Giants hockey team is relocating out of that rink to the suburbs (Langley ice rink and stadium?).

Fan boy,

Regarding using the PNE grounds for a big Fan Expo:

the de-iced Coliseum ice rink (last renovated right before 2010 Winter Olympics) is now available for rent for events year round as the Vancouver Giants hockey team is relocating out of that rink to the suburbs (Langley ice rink and stadium?).

Good to know that. Maybe someday we may find out if whenever a comic fan expo will take place.

Geez, the coliseum ice rink ... haven't thought about it. I used to skate on it as a kid years ago. Had great memories playing with old Canucks in their pratice games. :preach:

I was touring the mechanism UNDER the rink. That was how they freeze water on surface.

The attendance at Van Fan expo moved to rainy Nov/16 would be far too low to be able to afford a steak dinner with Frank Miller for $1k per person meet and greet. Think Vancouver can afford inker/penciler Klaus Janson, as he has not been here since about 1989 last time Dark Knight was hot. (thumbs u