• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curt Swans first published work?

5 posts in this topic

I don't post in this section much as its not really an area of interest to me.However.....

I noticed in Overstreet that COLE#1 is listed as Mr Swans first work yet he wrote in an essay for Superman At Fifty that his first work was on BOY COMMANDOS circa 1945/46.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Here's a quote from "Curt Swan: A life in Comics":

"Though Curt's first assignment was a Boy Commandos story in [Dec.?] 1945, it was probably not published until 1946 (see Raul Wrona's Curt Swan index)."

This goes along what Curt's saying in the Superman in the Fifties (but it could simply be that the book used that quote as source).

Nonetheless, it is possible that his first assignment was not his first published comic work (or the OS is off on this). Check out the publication date for King Cole to see if that's what's going on here.

Here's the earliest Swan listing in the Grand Comic Book Database, for the April 1945 cover for Star-Spangled. thumbsup2.gif

214_4_043.jpg

The first full story citation is World's Finest 21 from Mar/Apr 1946, a Boy Commandos story:

Brooklyn and Columbus Discover America

(Sequence 5 - Story , 12 pages

Feature Story: Boy Commandos

Credits:

Jack Kirby (-script), Curt Swan (Pencils), George Klein (Inks),

Genre: war; adventure

Indexer notes:

inker id by Curt Swan to Craig Delich

If I understand the indexer note, Curt himself identified his inker of this work as George Klein, so it very likely is Curt Swan pencilling!