• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Key File Copy Question

5 posts in this topic

Back in the late 80s I bought a Space Ghost #1 advertised as the Gold Key file copy. It was from a big dealer (at the time), who I trusted & had no reason to doubt. It came with the price catalog, with the book hilighted inside the catalog. I asked him if there was any type of certificate to verify that the book was the file copy & he said the catalog was the only thing he got with the book. If I was to send in the book to CGC, would the catalog be all I needed to get it noted as a Gold Key File copy? I have no reason to doubt his word on it, just wondering if any other verification is needed.

May be too difficult to prove provenance based on the original catalog/ price list. Think when Nadia Mannarino (All Star Auctions) submits Gold Keys & Harveys to cgc, they get the File Copy designation.

Yep, also I strongly doubt that the file copy designation is going to help any sales of the file copies. The grade should speak for themselves! smile.gif

Thanks for the help guys. After thinking about it, I went & dug out the copy to see if it has any other info. It also has a letter from Comics & Stories stationary with the name Joseph Mannarino. Letter makes reference to Dell file copy & "Poughkeepsie collection". It is signed at the bottom by Nadia. In the letter he states "please find our catalog authenticating the books you purchased," but no mention is made of the comic itself, except for the hi lighting in the catalog. Maybe if I send the letter & catalog in.

Just a suggestion...you may want to post a question in the "Ask CGC" forum and find out exactly what kind of proof they require to get the File Copy designation before sending in the catalog & letter.

Gene