• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HeritAge final sales

41 posts in this topic

anybody get any good deals? The book that I was following the closest Hulk 1 8.5 escaped me by $500. The last time it was up, I was also 2nd place but the "winner" allegedly failed to pay so Heritage had to sell it again. I got a few things at pretty good prices. Looks like the Spidey 1 9.6 and AF 15 9.4 both sold. Anyone actually there know how much of this stuff JP bought? I am betting at least half of it. I bid on severl books at the last minute and was high bid at end of internet sales but lost most by one bid increment at the live show. Funny how that works isn't it?

I won one or two of those Strange Tales books, a couple ASMs, and managed to pry away 2 of those G.A. Caps...there was some pretty stiff competition on that G.A. stuff..

Brian

Yeah I gave up on most of that. I got a Cap 50 something 9.0 with glue on the spine and a few other minor ones but got the Spidey 4 9.4, 50 9.2, Hulk 5 9.0 and a few others. Wanted that X-men 12 9.4 too but got zapped at the live show. Also put in a stiff bid on a Kirby Thor 152 page but someone else wanted it more.

I think this email from CBG is appropriate in this thread.

REPORT FROM THE ROAD: Heritage auctions Lee and Schwartz memorabilia

NEW YORK CITY - Heritage Comic Auctions began the second day of its four-day March Signature Auction at the Warwick Hotel in New York City with an afternoon movie poster session at 1 p.m. ET Friday. Heritage Director of Auctions John Petty told CBG that sales were strong and much interest was shown by bidders.

The evening session began at 7 p.m. ET and included CGC-graded Timely comics, as well as a selection of Silver and Bronze Age comics from Marvel, DC, and other publishers, a selection of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines, and some underground comics. More Stan Lee File Copies and memorabilia from the collection of DC Editor Emeritus Julius Schwartz were also sold in the three-hour session.

Lee's signed copies of Silver Surfer (1st Series) brought the most interest during that portion of the auction, with a CGC-graded 5.5 (F-) copy with cream to off-white pages of the first issue selling for $1,380, which included Heritage's 15% buyer's premium. Other copies in various grades of condition from the run sold for between $138 and $690.

In what Heritage dubbed the "treasure chest of Julius Schwartz," the highlight was the complete original art by Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson from Superman #411, including the cover, which was signed, not only by the artists, but also by dozens of DC personnel. The issue commemorated Schwartz's 70th birthday, and the original art sold for $4,370. Another unusual item in the Schwartz collection, a limited-edition presentation copy of the collected Batman: The Dark Knight (only 26 copies were produced) sold for $1,437.50. The book was in Very Fine condition.

After acquiring the third-highest-graded copy of Marvel Comics #1, as reported yesterday, Bill Hughes of Jay Parrino's The Mint acquired a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1, CGC-graded 9.6 (NM+) with off-white pages, for $92,000. It was one of two copies to receive the grade from CGC to date, with only one copy graded higher at 9.8 (NM/M).

A CGC-graded 9.4 (NM) copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 with off-white pages sold for $86,250.

Among DC's Silver Age comics, the highlight was a copy of Green Lantern #1 CGC-graded 9.4 (NM) with off-white to white pages, which sold for $18,975.

While bidding was active on the floor, from the Internet, and through live phone bids, several lots failed to meet their reserves and will be offered at a set price by Heritage beginning March 8. A list of the comics and their prices is available at (Heritage). The books will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Actually, I saw it earlier when I was looking through Bonds25's bids when he linked his winning in the "Have a Cigar" thread. tongue.gif

I'm constantly amazed at all these pieces that are selling for huge sums IN THIS HOBBY ONLY, in a depressed economy, with diminishing available jobs, and global unrest (possibly impending war). Of all the major auction houses on the planet dealing in all facets of everything you can consider collectible, Heritage seems to be the only one to have no problem at all under the current world economic climate STILL auctioning expensive items at a brisk pace.

I'm curious as well as to how many of the Heritage lots were "won" by Mega$aurus and how many of those $20,000+ items were won by NON-Mega$aur bids.

Interesting to note is that the AF15 in 9.4 sold for LESS (YES.....LESS!!!) than Dan Greenhalgh from Showcase New England Comics sold an identical appearing AF15 in CGC 9.4 over TWO YEARS AGO! Dan G. sold THAT copy (may be the same one...looks VERY similar) for $87,500 WITHOUT a buyer's premium.

I'm not surprised when the big items sell, but am amazed with all the other stuff that supposedly sells. Honestly, who wants a mid-grade copy of Captain Marvel #42 for over guide? A NM Funny Animals #69 for 3 times guide? Etc etc. I'd be shocked if these books were actually sold to interested parties, or if they're just cirulated among the same people, only to be auctioned off later.

51K is a far cry from what Mark Wilson was previously asking for the book last year, which was something in the neighborhood of 100K. But that was before a 9.4 popped up(the one Metropolis aquired).

And although big money is being spent, you can see that the current state of things is having somewhat of an impact. The ASM 1 9.6 and the AF 15 9.4 both sold for less than previous sales indicate.

I know for a fact that the owner of the AF 15 and Spidey 1 9.6 paid a whole lot more for those books than Heritage was able to sell them for. I would bet after the juice, the guy probably got about half his money back out of the books! Must be time for some major tax write offs!

Yeah I think that is a good question about the economy and who has the money and who is willing to risk really big money on collectibles now. I have seen several ebay auctions playing that up recently - a good investment in a shaky economy. If people aren't putting money in stocks or real estate, is it going into collectibles? I bet a lot is sitting in low interest saving accounts or there just isn't a whole lot of extra investment cash around. But you do see a lot of the high grade expensive books drift from reseller to reseller - it is more obvious on ebay. I think there are some deals to be had as long as you are on a level playing field and know who you are competing with. Pretty soon though we may be spending comic book money on gas and electricity - I paid like $1.89 for regular unleaded the other day and it took over $40 to fill up! I know it is much higher In California and NY but the war hasn't even started yet! I bet over $3 a gallon is not out of the question. If things get that tight I wonder if even the movie hype will help much. As fas as heritage's success, it is probably due to their magnificent catalogs! When you have a $50 catalog, things are bound to go big time. Either that or their patron saint helps keep it all afloat!

Regarding the sale of the Spiderman#1 and Amazing Fantasy #15 at Heritage, the painful amount of money the seller lost was due more to his initial purchase of those books than to the state of the market at the time he sold it.

The Fantasy #15 is the same book that sold at Sothebys a number of years back for $55,000. It is important to note that at the time of the initial sale, the holder had comments regarding tanning inside the front and back cover. I believe that the book still carried a stigma from being the 9.4 AF#15 with "tanning".

I believe the buyers paid slightly more than $100,000 for the AF#15, which is clearly more than it is worth in today's market. In fact, the price he paid was also clearly too much when he bought it as well.

The buyers paid way too much for the Spiderman#1 as well. He was raked over the coals so to speak.

The key is always in the buy, not the sell. If a collector paid $100,000 for an X-Men#1 in 9.6 today, it is pretty much a certainty that he would have a nice fat loss waiting for him down the road. When this book would eventually sell, there would be no need to analyze the state of the economy for reasons why. The real reasons are far more obvious.

To place the final nail on the coffin, placing the books in an auction 3 months after they both failed to sell in the last auction, may have been an error in judgement.