• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strangest or poorest shipping packaging you have seen?

26 posts in this topic

I purchased a eBay book about a week ago. Felt like a little bit of a gamble because the pictures were not the greatest, but the price seemed right even on the lowish side. I get the book and granted the issue is what I though it was, an easy 9.0, with an outside shot at a 9.4. But the packaging was just weird. Bubble envelope, no cardboard, sandwiched between several dreck Malibu comics, I guess he judged as worthless. Then wrapped in newspaper. Like I said it looked like no damage was inflicted in the mail, but odd.

What is your worse packaging experience?

Mine was The Walking dead #2. No bag or board and put in bubble envelope. Seller sold a Nm/Mint 9.8

I was so upset. Seller said, "The post office said this would be sent securely and that is all I needed to do" I will never forget that. I wasn't as experienced with feebay back than so I kept the book. I sent the book to Joey who turned it into a 9.4 and about broke even on the transaction or lost a little from what I remember.

Mine was The Walking dead #2. No bag or board and put in bubble envelope. Seller sold a Nm/Mint 9.8

I was so upset. Seller said, "The post office said this would be sent securely and that is all I needed to do" I will never forget that. I wasn't as experienced with feebay back than so I kept the book. I sent the book to Joey who turned it into a 9.4 and about broke even on the transaction or lost a little from what I remember.

The feebay sellers that advertise 9.8 are likely the ones that will disappoint you. lol

I prefer to buy my raws on the forums. Guys that advertise 9.8 candidates are pretty legit. I.E. beachbum

Not a comic, but I ordered 1 of these off eBay, It was posted in an envelope and arrived completely damaged, I then returned it and ordered another from another seller, requesting it be boxed, and it came in an envelope, also completely damaged, so I returned that, and ordered another from another seller, again requested a box, and again it came in an envelope... I don't know what the problem is with some people... luckily the last one some how survived with a minor crease, and I just kept it. Its not particularly valuable, but it was limited to 4500, and was only available in Sainsburys in the UK. Based on sellers on eBay, I doubt many will survive.

Empire-Kylo-3D-Box-Mockup.jpg

Had a slab with two slab-sized pieces of cardboard taped to the slab, the address written on the cardboard, and off it went.

Yes, the slab was smashed to hell.

And the seller fought me anyways.

lol

So no outer cover? Just the taped cardboard?

Had a slab with two slab-sized pieces of cardboard taped to the slab, the address written on the cardboard, and off it went.

lol

Yes.

Single sheet of cardboard.

Slab.

Send.

lol

Yes.

Slab.

Send.

I have had some I thought were bad but nothing that holds a candle to that.

lol

Yes.

Slab.

Send.

So.... what I'm hearing is you got a good deal on shipping costs! :grin:

When I buy books off eBay, I always ask the seller to ship in a box, not a mailer....noting paper based collectibles easily become damaged if not shipped correctly, spines can get tics if cardboard sheets are tightly taped together.... blah blah etc etc.

I state that I will pay extra for boxed shipping....

..this usually works.

Well, the packing jobs still suck but for the most part they don't totally half it.

When I buy books off eBay, I always ask the seller to ship in a box, not a mailer....noting paper based collectibles easily become damaged if not shipped correctly, spines can get tics if cardboard sheets are tightly taped together.... blah blah etc etc.

..this usually works.

Well, the packing jobs still suck but for the most part they don't totally half it.

:whatev:

..this usually works.

Even a box needs to be properly packaged. Some of the worst damage I have encountered was slabs inside a box. If slabs are allowed to bounce around inside the box the results can be horrifying.

..this usually works.

Even a box needs to be properly packaged. Some of the worst damage I have encountered was slabs inside a box. If slabs are allowed to bounce around inside the box the results can be horrifying.

Priority boxes are the worst. I've shipped and had shipped many damaged by the carrier and even bubble wrapping bricks I make inside are not damage proof. Those comic book mailers are some of the strongest types I'd had shipped to me as they fit inside the mailbox and can only be bent in half by stomping on them while lifting up at the same time.

..this usually works.

Priority boxes are the worst. I've shipped and had shipped many damaged by the carrier and even bubble wrapping bricks I make inside are not damage proof. Those comic book mailers are some of the strongest types I'd had shipped to me as they fit inside the mailbox and can only be bent in half by stomping on them while lifting up at the same time.

I see it all the time, but Medium Flat Rate Priority boxes ARE NOT big enough to safely protect slabs.

Besides...one slab is usually 2 lbs or less, which is CHEAPER than MFR Priority.

Use the 1095 box.

I once received a book wrapped in newspaper and shipped in a flatened cereal box with postage attached to the "box"

I think I have bought from this seller. Purchased a bronze age horror mag I needed on ebay. No bag and board, cover taped (directly to cover) to a cereal box and wrapped in newspaper and shoved in an envelope. UGH!

There is this seller on feebayand he ships his slabs in a cardboard mailer type with Styrofoam at the top and bottom of the slabs. My slabs always arrive safely. Guess it depends on how it is packaged.

I had a 3k book sent me to this way. Slab was pristine.