• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix

22 posts in this topic

Dreamworks Releases Voltron Reboot Title

Originally announced last month, Dreamworks officially released the title of the new Voltron series on Netflix. The Voltron Force will once again ride into battle in Voltron: Legendary Defender.

Taking the cue from the original title of Voltron: Defender of the Universe and how Voltron was considered a "legend" in the original intro, naming it Voltron: Legendary Defender makes a ton of sense. The Nerdist exclusively revealed the logo and teaser poster of the series Monday afternoon.

Voltron-Legendary-Defender-Featured-Image.jpg

Little more is known of this show at this time.

Voltron and Guillermo del Toro’s Trollhunters Series Head to Netflix

Starting in 2016, Netflix will launch several new series from DWA, including a reimagining of Voltron, and the new series, Trollhunters, from master storyteller Guillermo del Toro, who will unleash a new, fantastical world wrapped around two best friends who make a startling discovery beneath their hometown.

Over the term of the new agreement, a number of new original series will be developed and produced by DreamWorks Animation for Netflix, based not only on recent and upcoming feature films from the studio, but also on other classic IP.

I have to say, I can't decide if I'm excited about this or not - let me provide some context:

Growing up, my brother and I LOVED Voltron. Best cartoon ever. Watched it, loved it, grew up loving it. Fast forward to college: The revival of our childhood cartoons in adult form is beginning with movies like Transformers and GI Joe being announced and on the horizon. We instantly remember Voltron was the coolest of them all. So, we search eBay, and find a complete set of all the episodes on VHS, order them and crank up the popcorn maker.

Results - IT. WAS. TERRIBLE. We were so disappointed in how corny and slow and just bad it was. In reality, we should have known this. There was a reason we loved it and were able to follow the plot lines as kids. But somehow, as adults, we thought the memory would translate to us still loving it.

From that day on, Voltron became a verb:

voltron - verb | \vōl · trän\

1. to ruin an especially awesome part of one's distant past by forcibly revisiting it in one's adult life

Voltron’s Gotta Brand New Bag

NETFLIX dropped their first image of their new take on the Legendary Defender, VOLTRON. Those of you who grew up in the glorious decade known as the 80’s know very well how much cartoons and toys went hand in hand in those days. Cereal boxes, candies that had nothing to do with it’s namesake, lunch boxes, the works! We we’re the first major market that screamed at our parents “I WANT THAT OR I’LL DIE.”

dco2a7b.jpg

I cannot wait for a new round of toys. Hopefully there will be a big Lion Voltron on my desk at work sometime in the foreseeable future. I refused to pay the money that Matty Collector wanted for the five premium lions.

Anyone seen the first season yet? It's been OK after about half dozen episodes with a whole new origin story. Also, not every episode is a formulaic monster fight, so that's another thing it has going for it.

I finished entire season!

It takes a long story aproach. Not the see a monster, fight a monster, repeat process.

There are actually 2-3 episodes where you don't see Voltron at all which I like.

I just dont like what they did with Coran.