• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battlestar Galactica: The Movie (2018?)

11 posts in this topic

Hollywood Is Trying To Make A Battlestar Galactica Movie—Again

The Hollywood Reporter broke the news of this new film adaptation. This time around, producer Michael DeLuca (The Social Network) is teaming up with Bluegrass Films (Ted, Battleship) to mold the property into a franchise starter at Universal Pictures. However, they’re so early in the process there aren’t even any writers on board.

Battlestar has had a twisted journey over the past 15 years. Bryan Singer almost made a Battlestar TV show in 2001, until the 9/11 attacks spooked execs because it begins with a terrorist attack. Singer later tried to make a movie version that would unite the original 1970s show and the Syfy version. And meanwhile Syfy’s television version made huge waves, but Syfy’s attempts to follow it up—with TV movies, a prequel called Caprica, and another prequel called Blood and Chrome—fell flat.

If this film is just going into development now, best case scenario the movie wouldn’t be out for at least three or four years. Or, in three or four years, we link back to this story, when another attempt to make a BSG movie is launched.

God I loved the reboot.

A decade later, it still stands up too.

Recently tried to watch the first few episodes of the original series and couldn't make it past episode 3. Biggest surprise was seeing Jane Seymour.

God I loved the reboot.

A decade later, it still stands up too.

Recently tried to watch the first few episodes of the original series and couldn't make it past episode 3. Biggest surprise was seeing Jane Seymour.

Rewatching it now on Hulu, it kind of falls apart late but up to a little past when the Pegasus shows up it's phenomenal (I think Michelle Forbes knocks it out the park as the Admiral - very intense).

Kind of hated the original series but I view it from a "this is really old" angle, also turned off by the original Starbuck and his comments.

I think this might fall kind of like Stargate for me. They will probably make a movie, but I kind of like the TV show universe more.

Lisa Joy To Write Battlestar Galactica Movie; Francis Lawrence Circling To Direct

According to Deadline, Universal Pictures has hired Lisa Joy, the writer and executive producer of HBO’s Westworld series, pen the latest -script for their Battlestar Galactica movie. Deadline also reports that I Am Legend and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 director, Francis Lawrence, is "circling the movie to direct."

The last -script was written by Jack Paglen (Transcendence), who was hired by the studio in April 2014. Universal has been working on a feature film adaptation of Glen A. Larson's science-fiction property since February 2009. At one point, the studio had enlisted X-Men movie director Bryan Singer to develop and direct the film, but as of 2014 Singer is no longer involved.

'Battlestar Galactica' Movie Still in the Works, Director Confirms

Battlestar Galactica fans still have something to look forward to as director Francis Lawrence has confirmed the film adaptation of the 1978 cult classic science fiction series is still in the works.

Lawrence is currently out promoting his spy thriller Red Sparrow, but in an interview with ComingSoon Lawrence confirmed that he is still working on the project and that he has a personal connection to the Battlestar Galactica franchise.

“Yeah, I’m working on that, that’s something I’m developing,” Lawrence said. “I’m working on that with Lisa Joy, who is one of the creators of Westworld. The original series was actually one of the first sets that I ever went on. I remember being a kid and loving that show and they were filming near my house and my mom took me down there and I got to try on a Cylon helmet.

Lawrence went on to say that while his take on Battlestar Galactica will be his own, there will definitely be visual references to the original series, and Ronald D. Moore’s early 2000s reboot as well.

“Oh of course!” Lawrence said. “There will definitely be visual nods. We’re all fans of both series so there will definitely be nods, but for it to be worth doing for us we have to have our own take on it. Without getting into too much detail, there is thematic kind of stuff to make it relevant today. What makes something interesting to do is if there’s a relevance to the world we live in now.”

He also talks about his time as director of the Constantine movie with Keanu Reeves.

constantine-1200-1200-675-675-crop-00000

CS: I wanted to talk about Constantine for a minute, just because I was thinking back on it and it seems almost like a comic book movie without a country, in that it sort of had one foot in and one foot out of the source material. If you could shoot that movie again would you go harder R, make John blonde? What other ways do you think you could push that movie now that audiences are more immersed in comic book iconography?

Lawrence: Wow. It’s a tricky question. Now I’ve made seven movies, that was my first. I think there’s definite story issues, I would change some things there. I would definitely give it more levity, things like that. It’s tricky because if I’m starting from scratch I would have had him, like in the material, be blonde and English. Right? I wasn’t the first one hired on the movie, so it’s a whole different thing, but it’s tricky because I love Keanu and I think he did a great job in the movie and all of that, but it’s a tough tough thing. I think the biggest things I would change are in the story, I think it gets too bogged down in supernatural gobbledygook at the end of the movie. If I’d known we were getting an R I would have really made an R-rated movie. We followed all the PG-13 rules, but still got an R so it’s not really an R. That’s what I would suggest.

CS: Since I saw the film, I’ve always wondered if you were referencing the artist Zdzisław Beksiński?

Lawrence: Oh yeah, 100%! I definitely had one of his books, and that was a bit of the inspiration — we ended up doing something a little different — for when you go to hell and there’s some of that weird growth? That was definitely influenced by Beksiński.

Fresh from shepherding the “X-Men” franchise for over a decade, Simon Kinberg has signed on to write and produce Universal’s feature adaptation of the sci-fi franchise “Battlestar Galactica,” Variety has confirmed.

Kinberg is joining producer Dylan Clark (“The Batman,” “War for the Planet of the Apes”), who has long overseen development on a “BSG” movie for the studio. While Kinberg has also branched out into directing with 2019’s “X-Men” feature “Dark Phoenix” and 2021’s spy thriller “The 355,” he is not looking to direct this project.

“‘Battlestar Galactica’ is one of the holy grails in science fiction, and I couldn’t be more excited about bringing something new to the franchise, while honoring what’s made it so iconic and enduring,” Kinberg said in a statement. “I’m so grateful that Dylan and my partners at Universal have trusted me with this incredible universe.”

The “BSG” franchise has passed through many hands since it first launched as a live-action TV series for ABC in 1978. Seen at the time as a blatant “Star Wars” rip-off, “BSG” has grown into wide esteem in its own right after the acclaimed basic cable reboot of the series in the 2000s, starring Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell and Katee Sackhoff. Both shows followed a fleet of human starships, let by the Galactica, as they flee a race of genocidal robots called the Cylons and seek to find a mythical planet called Earth.

The feature film version of “BSG” is not connected to plans for a new “Battlestar Galactica” TV series currently in development for NBCUniversal’s streaming service Peacock by executive producer Sam Esmail (“Mr. Robot”).

Kinberg intends to start from scratch with his -script for the feature, which has been in development for years. Lisa Joy (HBO’s “Westworld”) and Jack Paglen (“Transcendence”) recently took passes at a screenplay, and Kinberg’s old “X-Men” colleague Bryan Singer was attached to direct as early as 2009.