• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil #1 How much can this spineroll be improved?

9 posts in this topic

Difference being, unlike the X-Men 14 (which turned out looking great BTW), the paper at the staples of the DD 1 looks very weak, especially at the bottom. You may lose the spine roll and at the same time end up w/a detached cover.

Difference being, unlike the X-Men 14 (which turned out looking great BTW), the paper at the staples of the DD 1 looks very weak, especially at the bottom. You may lose the spine roll and at the same time end up w/a detached cover.

Agree with this - CCS did a great job with the xmen - and it helped that the book was slightly miscut - so the vertical lines ended up right on the spine.

The DD does look much softer on the spine - and I see a lot of horizontal damage one the spine as well. As for improving the flatness of the book - may work ok as long as the staple areas are solid - but as KPR pointed out - you may increase the damage on the tearing or even pop the staple on a soft cover. Might be one the experts have to see in hand before giving solid advice.

I appreciate the info KPR and W16227. Your X-Men book turned out very nice. Did you think it would come back from CGC with that grade, or was it a nice surprise? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something can be done with my DD #1. I do hope to hear from some of the experts on here that specialize in this, and/or some of you that may have had a book in a very similar condition that was improved upon.

I appreciate the info KPR and W16227. Your X-Men book turned out very nice. Did you think it would come back from CGC with that grade, or was it a nice surprise? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something can be done with my DD #1. I do hope to hear from some of the experts on here that specialize in this, and/or some of you that may have had a book in a very similar condition that was improved upon.

hard to say my expectations - as this was actually part of my very 1st CGC submission so I had no clue what to expect.....

If I look now - and assume I expected the spine roll to be fixed as it was - I would probably think it would end up 4.0 because of all the vertical creasing. I believe the "flat" of the book - ( where the fixed spine sits) - ended up being on top of a lot of the creasing - so this diminished the overall visual of those defects thus the grade bump.

I would recommend caution, I can't tell how strong the paper is vertically at the bottom staple, looks weak just to the right of the staple. Horizontal tears at both staples are not too concerning.

Is the plan to grade it? I heard they won't grade it when the roll is that bad. (shrug)

You could always send it in for an assessment and get Matt or whoever to determine what's possible. I would think the DD#1 is worthy of the effort.

That X#14 turn out fabulous! Any chance you could disclose the cost for such an effort... knowing that each book is unique. Just to give us an idea of what it could cost?

Thanks in advance ^_^