• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you value a NM 98 CGC 9.8 with OW to W pages compared to WP?

95 posts in this topic

Oh right, that there is absolutely no discernible , significant , or consistent differences in prices based on the so-called "PQ" on the label.

I'm curious why you continue to share this tidbit of information multiple times in multiple threads. Are you doing it as some kind of public service announcement?

Yes. (thumbs u

I can perform the analysis on virtually any book from any age and reach the same conclusion.

I heart myth busting. :cloud9:

-J.

I know you always reach the same conclusion. That's pretty evident from your posts.

Though anyone with a basic understanding of statistics would think what you're being generous with the word analysis.

Feel free to post any competing data points or stats to support whatever it is your personal position is supposed to be. (thumbs u

-J.

Oh right, that there is absolutely no discernible , significant , or consistent differences in prices based on the so-called "PQ" on the label.

I'm curious why you continue to share this tidbit of information multiple times in multiple threads. Are you doing it as some kind of public service announcement?

Yes. (thumbs u

I can perform the analysis on virtually any book from any age and reach the same conclusion.

-J.

I know you always reach the same conclusion. That's pretty evident from your posts.

Though anyone with a basic understanding of statistics would think what you're being generous with the word analysis.

Feel free to post any competing data points or stats to support whatever it is your personal position is supposed to be. (thumbs u

-J.

You're the guy making all the claims about page quality. The only claim I'm making is that you keep making the same claim. And if anybody needs support for that, they can check your posting history. They can also google terms like sample size and selection bias.

Yes. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

You're the guy making all the claims about page quality. The only claim I'm making is that you keep making the same claim. And if anybody needs support for that, they can check your posting history. They can also google terms like sample size and selection bias.

Actually, I'm the guy who responded to the OP's question. If you're not doing that as well why are you even posting here ? And if you took even three minutes to run a check of closed comps you would have seen that I used every available sales comp from the last 90 days. And although there aren't many examples of this book with the absolutely meaningless "OW/W" on the label, of those that do have it, they by and large sell for the same as the books with "white pages" on the label.

In other words, no difference in price.

-J.

I just started a Poll in Comics General where folks can become their own data point in regards to this subject...... and to politely point one thing out, I'd like to add that using data based on slabbed sales, where the pages aren't even intended to be viewed, may be excluding a significant and important part of the buyer's pool..... is counterintuitive the term I seek ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yes. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

Actually, I'm the guy who responded to the OP's question. If you're not doing that as well why are you even posting here ? And if you took even three minutes to run a check of closed comps you would have seen that I used every available sales comp from the last 90 days. And although there aren't many examples of this book with the absolutely meaningless "OW/W" on the label, of those that do have it, they by and large sell for the same as the books with "white pages" on the label.

In other words, no difference in price.

-J.

I'm putting a poll right here, but before I do, please fill in the options:

JayDog is a _______________.

:makepoint:

Has Jaydog actually convinced anyone that the PQ does not factor in to the price ? If so, show yourself.

I'm still waiting for someone to actually show that it consistently does, or to any meaningful extent whatsoever (and no, just saying that it does, doesn't count). :tonofbricks:

-J.

That still doesn't alter the fact that certain collectors will and do pay more for white pages. It's been stated on this board many times. I've seen it time and time again in the 10+ years I've been here. I'm not saying these folks are a majority but they do exist. Now, if you want to claim that all of those people are lying or don't really exist, then I guess this conversation can't really progress any further.

You are a little too married to the data. You can't see any possibilities beyond that. Not to mention, the existing data doesn't always cover all sales.

Has Jaydog actually convinced anyone that the PQ does not factor in to the price ? If so, show yourself.

I'm still waiting for someone to actually show that it consistently does, or to any meaningful extent whatsoever (and no, just saying that it does, doesn't count). :tonofbricks:

-J.

That still doesn't alter the fact that certain collectors will and do pay more for white pages. It's been stated on this board many times. I've seen it time and time again in the 10+ years I've been here. I'm not saying these folks are a majority but they do exist. Now, if you want to claim that all of those people are lying or don't really exist, then I guess this conversation can't really progress any further.

You are a little too married to the data. You can't see any possibilities beyond that. Not to mention, the existing data doesn't always cover all sales.

I'm a collector that falls in the category of paying a premium for White's since that's all I collect, but again, they must be BA/SA, beautifully centered, with great colors! I can't see paying any premium for CA or Modern whites. Just my personal collecting preference (thumbs u

-J.

Again, this thread specifically applies to NM 98 and not SA super grails and rare GA where books with "cream", "tan" and even "brittle pages" on the label also can and do set GPA highs.

I never said that "certain collectors" don't label chase "PQ" either. I typically make it a point not to speak in absolutes. We should learn by the time we're older than 25 that things are usually not black or white. I only respond when someone makes incorrect and sweeping statements that are easily debunked with actual data (as opposed to anecdotes and/or personal preferences that a few seem to confuse with "the norm"). At the end of the day if someone says "I will pay a 'premium' for a slabbed book with 'white pages' on the label", bully for them.

But if someone says "Books with 'white pages' on the label always sell for a 'premium'", or "usually sell for a 'premium'", or even "should sell for a 'premium'", well then again, that person is confusing their own personal opinion with unsupported generalisations for the whole market , and that kind of hubris is cat nip for a myth buster, especially since what that person is usually really saying is "I paid more for my book because it has 'white pages' on the label, so it's better than yours."

Oh behave. :shy:

-J.

-J.

I never said that "certain collectors" don't. I typically make it a point not to speak in absolutes. We should learn by the time we're older than 25 that things are usually not black or white. I only respond when someone makes incorrect and sweeping statements that are easily debunked with actual data (as opposed to anecdotes and/or personal preferences that a few seem to confuse with "the norm"). At the end of the day if someone says "I will pay a 'premium' for a slabbed book with 'white pages' on the label", bully for them.

But if someone says "Books with 'white pages' on the label always sell for a 'premium'", or "usually sell for a 'premium'", or even "should sell for a 'premium'", well then again, that person is confusing their own opinion into an unsupported generalisation for the whole market , and that kind of hubris is cat nip for a myth buster, especially since what that person is usually really saying is "I paid more for my book because it has 'white pages' on the label, so it's better than yours."

-J.

Your posts certainly do come across as if you speak in absolutes. You often post as if your position is unassailable.

You should also know that the existing data doesn't always tell the whole story

You guys are wasting your time with him. Its a circle with him.

By his logic if you can find sales data of books that have tape that outsold a book without tape, collectors don't mind. Find a book with marvel chipping that outsold a book without. Find a book with a grade of 8.0 outselling a book with a grade of 8.5. Nothing matters yet for some reason everything matters.

By his logic if you can find sales data of books that have tape that outsold a book without tape, collectors don't mind. Find a book with marvel chipping that outsold a book without. Find a book with a grade of 8.0 outselling a book with a grade of 8.5. Nothing matters yet for some reason everything matters.

It's a growing thing in our world today that everything needs to be backed up by numbers and metrics or it doesn't matter. It's quite irritating at times.

-J.

I never said that "certain collectors" don't. I typically make it a point not to speak in absolutes. We should learn by the time we're older than 25 that things are usually not black or white. I only respond when someone makes incorrect and sweeping statements that are easily debunked with actual data (as opposed to anecdotes and/or personal preferences that a few seem to confuse with "the norm"). At the end of the day if someone says "I will pay a 'premium' for a slabbed book with 'white pages' on the label", bully for them.

But if someone says "Books with 'white pages' on the label always sell for a 'premium'", or "usually sell for a 'premium'", or even "should sell for a 'premium'", well then again, that person is confusing their own opinion into an unsupported generalisation for the whole market , and that kind of hubris is cat nip for a myth buster, especially since what that person is usually really saying is "I paid more for my book because it has 'white pages' on the label, so it's better than yours."

-J.

Your posts certainly do come across as if you speak in absolutes. You often post as if your position is unassailable.

No. I provide counterpoint to purported absolutes. Thus demonstrating that there are no absolutes.

And interestingly enough, very rarely , if ever, does anyone provide any actual data points to support their own opinion beyond essentially saying "this is just what I do and what I think and what I believe and you're crazy and don't know what you're talking about Jaydog."

That's just lazy and weak.

-J.

It's a growing thing in our world today that everything needs to be backed up by numbers and metrics or it doesn't matter. It's quite irritating at times.

This comment , as disturbing as it is, probably sums up a lot of people's opinions on these boards. (thumbs u

-J.

This comment , as disturbing as it is, probably sums up a lot of people's opinions on these boards. (thumbs u

-J.

Funny how the world got along just fine when there wasn't this emphasis on metrics and numbers.

Thanks for the thumbs up. Enjoy your day!

-J.

-J.

No. I provide counterpoint to purported absolutes. Thus demonstrating that there are no absolutes.

And interestingly enough, very rarely , if ever, does anyone provide any actual data points to support their own opinion beyond essentially saying "this is just what I do and what I think and what I believe and you're crazy and don't know what you're talking about Jaydog."

-J.

Does the data as currently constituted tell the whole story or only part of it?

-J.

-J.

-J.

The data says what it says:

When it comes to NM 98 there are no significant price differences either way for the alleged "PQ" on the label.

This data is not presented as an attack on your personal opinions or your entire collecting philosophy.

It just is what it is.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

When it comes to NM 98 there are no significant price differences either way for the alleged "PQ" on the label.

This data is not presented as an attack on your personal opinions or your entire collecting philosophy.

It just is what it is.

-J.

Except when it's incomplete data. The data tells you a story and if you don't have all the data, that story might be very different.

-J.

-J.

-J.

It just is what it is.

-J.

Except when it's incomplete data. The data tells you a story and if you don't have all the data, that story might be very different.

As I said, I cited all available data from the last 90 days. That data handily demonstrates no difference in prices. Period.

And again, complaining about "incomplete" data, while citing "no data" is weak.

-J.