• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popped Staples

3 posts in this topic

I think this is my first time to have ever ventured here in over 12/13 years.

My question is twofold;

1. Is there a difference in meaning and grading between the terms "Popped Lower Staple" and "Cover detached at lower staple"?

2. If they mean different things, what is the grade impact for each on an otherwise legitimate 8.0?

I'm inventorying my SA books and have come across an alarming number of DC's that have such a defect on otherwise lovely books and want to be sure i don't embarrass myself by misgrading them.

Thanks for any and all thoughts...

A popped lower staple usually refers to an otherwise high grade book where the staple has pushed through the spine but the spine in good shape except for that; cover detached usually implies the spine has had enough wear or damage that it becomes separated from the staple.

Some books are prone to popped staples due to production; Batman #222 and Defenders #4 leap to mind.

I think sometimes the terms are used interchangeably even if they don't fit that strict description.

A popped lower staple usually refers to an otherwise high grade book where the staple has pushed through the spine but the spine in good shape except for that; cover detached usually implies the spine has had enough wear or damage that it becomes separated from the staple.

Some books are prone to popped staples due to production; Batman #222 and Defenders #4 leap to mind.

I think sometimes the terms are used interchangeably even if they don't fit that strict description.

Thanks so much for your insight... (thumbs u