• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC "Qualified Grade"

12 posts in this topic

Anybody seen this before?

I have never seen a qualified grade myself.

I am interested because I have a copy of Hulk 181 that would grade a 8.0 if it wasn't for the value Stamp being cut out by the original owner. This value seal is on a page that doesn't affect the story or the artwork.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2164093999&category=3983

Starting bid is way too high for a qualified book. Although he does include Origin and Wolverine Mini-Series!

I wouldn't place a bid on this book. Qualified books are just as "bad" as a restored book when it comes to re-sale. If you are just looking to get a copy of #181 for your personal collection, and don't mind a qualified comic, I suggest you keep waiting. This book is too expensive. I think $500 is what a qualified 9.0+ should bring.

Or better yet, with the same amount of money (probably less), you could get a raw copy at a show. Maybe not an 8.0, but it won't be qualified either. JMO.

Chris

Or, maybe he's got a Very Good or Fine copy with a value stamp, and just needs to replace the cover? Can this be done by a pro and still pass CGC's restoration grade? I think so. (but I'm not sure) Anyone?

I had a Hulk 181 come back from CGC that was in an 8.0 condition. They graded it as a 1.0 incomplete because the MVS was missing! Really not happy with that grade. I think this was before they started giving missing MVS issues a qualified label?

That is strange. If that is the case, I would call CGC and ask about possible re-submission for a qualified grade. A qualified 8.0 is much nicer than a universal 1.0, IMO.

Chris

They graded it as a 1.0 incomplete because the MVS was missing!

According to overstreet guidelines, this is the correct grade for the book. Check the latest grading guide, the highest a book with a coupon clipped can grade at is a FAIR.

Strange that Cgc would grade a coverless ASM 1 or key golden age at cgc 0.5 BLUE label instead of green. Saw a cgc coverless ASM 1 sell for 1.5 x the price realized for a raw ASM 1 that was structurally better without any spine roll. Sales were about 1 month apart on eBay last Feb/March/02.