• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books that went to 2nd print with no reprint indication

25 posts in this topic

I remember reading an article in an Oversteet Update (from 90? 91?) and the author mentioned Ghost Rider 1 was so scorching hot that Marvel went back to press with a new printing but it wasn't notated. I THINK the difference was in the lower-left box, but my memory is definitely fuzzy. That's the only one that comes to mind.

Did the JCPenney/Stridex reprints of Silver and Bronze books have "Second Printing" in the indica? It's been a while since I got rid of my sets. It was clear they were second printings, but I remember not seeing the notation. Granted, it was a long time ago, so my mind could be mixing things up.

I was just going through some old Chuck newsletter pieces from the early 90s and came across an article where he complained about books which went to 2nd printings without having them notated as being reprints. Is anyone here aware of any books such as these?

I love it . . you are a TOTAL geek! ;)

Did the JCPenney/Stridex reprints of Silver and Bronze books have "Second Printing" in the indica? It's been a while since I got rid of my sets. It was clear they were second printings, but I remember not seeing the notation. Granted, it was a long time ago, so my mind could be mixing things up.

Just checked one of my JC Penney copies and it was marked as a second printing inside.

I remember reading an article in an Oversteet Update (from 90? 91?) and the author mentioned Ghost Rider 1 was so scorching hot that Marvel went back to press with a new printing but it wasn't notated. I THINK the difference was in the lower-left box, but my memory is definitely fuzzy. That's the only one that comes to mind.

My recollection is that the "A Spirit Reborn" at the lower front cover changes color, white to yellow (or vice versa, I can't remember which is which).

GhostRider_vol_2_issue_1.jpg

Just checked one of my JC Penney copies and it was marked as a second printing inside.

My recollection is that the "A Spirit Reborn" at the lower front cover changes color, white to yellow (or vice versa, I can't remember which is which).

So is there a 2nd print to the second print?

Meaning, were these "reprinted" with no notice of 2nd print and then had an ADDITIONAL 2nd print notated as such?

Interesting that when you go to MHC he lists 1st print, 2nd and "misprint"

http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=35247645664&snumber=1

hm

Also, anyone has any info on Crow #2 2nd print distinguishables?

Meaning, were these "reprinted" with no notice of 2nd print and then had an ADDITIONAL 2nd print notated as such?

http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=35247645664&snumber=1

hm

The misprint was a page mix up. The only reason I remember this, is my brother was working at Comic's North here in Sudbury doing a placement for school, and at the time that Ghost Rider #1 came out they had a full shipment with mixed up pages and were told to throw them out as they would be getting replacements the following week.My brother managed to snag one for me to see, but I felt it was garbage too as it was too annoying to read. Had to keep looking through the book for the right order. Wish I would have kept it now.

hm

The misprint was a page mix up. The only reason I remember this, is my brother was working at Comic's North here in Sudbury doing a placement for school, and at the time that Ghost Rider #1 came out they had a full shipment with mixed up pages and were told to throw them out as they would be getting replacements the following week.My brother managed to snag one for me to see, but I felt it was garbage too as it was too annoying to read. Had to keep looking through the book for the right order. Wish I would have kept it now.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was not aware of any shenanigans that happened with this book, well at least I cant remember, as I used to be glued to those MHC editorials.. Guess Im getting old.. Any info on that Crow #2 reprint/misprint he mentioned?

I think Chuck's ire was misplaced here.

1) The second printing to Ghost Rider # 1 is noted in the indicia.

2) How is this any different than a publisher intentionally over-printing from the jump?

For example, two big 1988 books -- Punisher War Journal # 1 and Wolverine # 1 -- were both available for reorder for several months after publication.

So much so, that CBG reported it as news when the books finally were no longer available.

As in, does it really matter whether a book is marked as a second printing if an alternative is for publishers to just intentionally over-print to keep in stock for several months?

I think Chuck's ire was misplaced here.

1) The second printing to Ghost Rider # 1 is noted in the indicia.

2) How is this any different than a publisher intentionally over-printing from the jump?

For example, two big 1988 books -- Punisher War Journal # 1 and Wolverine # 1 -- were both available for reorder for several months after publication.

So much so, that CBG reported it as news when the books finally were no longer available.

As in, does it really matter whether a book is marked as a second printing if an alternative is for publishers to just intentionally over-print to keep in stock for several months?

Not too sure I follow, first, according to Chuck's claim, there were Ghost Rider #1 reprinted with no notes in the indicia.. And as some have mentioned earlier, this has been an issue that was brought up back then when they came out. I just dont know what the outcome was. Was it a false rumor? or were they further reprinted past the 2nd batch which wasnt notated?

Most recently, a book called Humans #0 was reprinted with no notes as well. It wasnt pretty, some guys made a big stink of it. And there was a HUGE debate over it (well, maybe not so huge, but the argument was there). So, not to argue whether its ethical or not, do we know which books were rperinted with no notations of being 2nd print. And were they not distinguishable past the lack of notation?

G.I. Joe #3-5 that came in three packs are the most famous of the reprints that weren't noted as such on the inside. You can tell because the checklist on the inside notes G.I. Joe #11 and the back cover ad matches to that of G.I. Joe #11. The #3 looks different on the cover because the original direct edition had a diamond shape while the reprint had the "M". The #4 and #5 are harder to tell from the front cover as they all had the "M" price box.

CGC sometimes misses noting these 2nd prints when they grade them.

Bugs Bunny #222 and Flash Gordon #30 were both reprinted. No marks in indicia, only way to differentiate the two is the publication date code under the Whitman logo box on the cover, the cover price, (50 cent instead of 40) as well as the ads on the inside.