• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help me with a grading question.

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Thanks in advance for the help.

As of late I've been collecting a lot of bronze age comics and I also do a lot of selling on ebay. Some (a lot) of the bronze age books I have with white covers have what looks like grime or a faded look on the cover(s). My point is how do you describe this defect. The comic below is a good example if you look at the back cover (you can click on the pic for a better look). I don't know how to describe it; is it fading, grime, soiling or something different? I just want to be able offer an accurate description of any defects when I list my books. Thanks again.

H4H2-b.jpg

H4H2-f.jpg

Hey guys. Thanks in advance for the help.

As of late I've been collecting a lot of bronze age comics and I also do a lot of selling on ebay. Some (a lot) of the bronze age books I have with white covers have what looks like grime or a faded look on the cover(s). My point is how do you describe this defect. The comic below is a good example if you look at the back cover (you can click on the pic for a better look). I don't know how to describe it; is it fading, grime, soiling or something different? I just want to be able offer an accurate description of any defects when I list my books. Thanks again.

H4H2-b.jpg

H4H2-f.jpg

You describe it as what it is.

Foxing is inert mildew.

As an analogy, think of foxing as a form of viral infection that has bonded itself to the molecular structure of the paper fiber itself.

It cannot be dry cleaned.

So, you are looking at two things:

1)

An irreversible stain.*

2)

Degraded structural integrity of the paper itself which shortens the life span of the paper molecules themselves, in broad terms.

Although it is *inert* mold, the paper integrity has already been compromised.

Think of the following when looking at books with foxing, in relation to assigned numerical grades and PQ designation.

Suppose there exists identical twins of Hero For Hire #2..

If you were to hop in a suped up DeLorean & go back in time and intentionally make a 1/2 inch tear on the cover of a fresh off the press 9.8 copy.... let's call this book, copy A....and then place copy A, into a Mylite 2 and Full Back....then put that book in a climate controlled vault.

Now, you would select copy B of the same issue, a rock solid 9.8 off the press book....inflict no such tear/damage....but leave the book exposed to unfavorable climate conditions.These conditions leading to/resulting in foxing.

Irrespective of grade, the book to invest in is Copy B.

*Reveresible only by chemicals i.e. restoration.

Usually discoloration is called foxing or oxidation. Foxing is a bit more yellowish, tan.

That actually could be mildew from moisture.

I also think that BC can benefit from a dry clean.

I'd be interested in what others think as well as I'm far from an expert.

There is very little on the BC that can be dry cleaned, other than removing light surface dirt.And by light, I mean just that, there will be virtually no change in color inks, other than if a book has a decent amount of light surface dirt....if you wipe off the covers with tissue paper....and then knead the covers with dry cleaning putty, that is the only dirt that will be rmoved.

In this case, that would be a good 30 minutes of work for just about no gains

The only spot I can see where there is actual dirt collection on the BC , is in an impact crease to the left of the third paragraph...specifically to the left of the word " Respect".

That can be easily dry cleaned.

All the rest of that discoloration is not dirt, it is foxing.

That foxing is not going anywhere.

Edit:

Oops, I barely even glanced at the spine.

Most of that dirt from stacking, along the length of the BC's spine, can be dry cleaned.