• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you seen this Gonzalo 'Red Sonja' piece?

16 posts in this topic

Ok, so a little over a year ago, I sold off my entire collection of art and comics to finance our restaurant. Like most collectors in that situation, I regret several of the things I've sold - most notably, this really awesome Red Sonja piece by Gonzalo Mayo that went to auction on Comic Connect. It's quite large (23"x30"), and there are several other similar paintings, but mine had some roll damage and edge damage to it. (Seen here and here and here. )

Whomever purchased it has not put it on CAF or places like that (at least that I can find), but if anyone knows where this piece has gone and could put me in contact with the buyer, this old Boardie would be greatly appreciative. Life is a little more stable now, and trying to re-obtain those few things I regret selling is going to be my new hobby. Any info is probably best sent by email to the address on my profile page - I don't get much of a chance to log on anymore.

Thanks for reading!

GONZALO_MAYO_REDSONJA_SMALL.jpg

I thought I saw something similar at Anthony Snyder's booth in S.D. . . .

I bought this from Anthony a few years back, but I think he had another one very similar that looked like Gonzalo's work study (just as big but not finished). I believe he's got it posted on Ebay.

Hello Doc. Long time no see.

Hey RMA! :hi: I got rid of most of my collection, but I still have my Gen13 1/2 9.8!

It probably was a few years back. I remember the piece because my friend was eye-balling it! I also remember telling him for the about the same price he could get a commission from Enrich.

(thumbs u

It was a cool piece up close. Huge and magnificent - I hope I can track it down again.

No, he's right. If you look at the stars you can see that they're spread out different.

GONZALO_MAYO_REDSONJA_SMALL.jpg

mayosonjacol.jpg

Retouched/repainted a la Frazetta? Just having difficulty rationalizing why two of these would even exist...

Here you go balls. Saw it a few months back, and remember it being yours.

http://www.romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=19241&ArtistId=1172

different piece actually. Very similar.

+1

Yeah, different piece - signature in a different place and doesn't appear to have the same damage mine did. I beleve Gonzalo has three or four versions of this painting - two work studies that show painting/shading progression, and then two finalized versions. Not sure which one is the "first" final piece - Gonzalo didn't give me any insight to which was which when I spoke with him via Facebook. I believe the Romitaman piece is smaller than my old one (the piece I had was like 22x30 or something like that).

Anyways - much appreciation for keeping an eye out. I will always want to find the piece. If anyone locates it or the owner - you can always text me at 406 eight-six-eight 095-zero for faster response.

Just a friendly bump, it's been awhile so here's an update: I've contacted a ComicLink rep who's made several offers to the buyer of the piece when I auctioned it off - to no avail. But, I still have hope that I'll get this one back someday...