• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody think the unannounced Fox movie would be the Silver Surfer?

12 posts in this topic

It would be really hard to go back and do a Silver Surfer movie without routing it thru the Fantastic Four first. They had a good shot before and ruined it with the Galactus cloud.

They need to start with him on Zenn-La first and do the proper origin with a proper Galactus.

Without the Fantastic Four, it's going to fall flat...hard. Look how they retooled his FF-less origin in his 90s cartoon...sucked.

If that's the route they go, I consider that a big shot in the dark for the studio, which I doubt they'd even consider after the FF flop. I think it's likely they consider themselves hugely fortunate to have stumbled on a new franchise leader in Deadpool and will use him to propel other potentially successful new properties like X-Force and Cable into the spotlight. I firmly believe we'll be hearing news of a Marvel-Fox deal re: the FF very soon.

What I'm worried about is if they try FF again. They may have learned a valuable lesson with Deadpool...let the movie be made by the people who are the most passionate with it.

Deadpool won because of Ryan Reynolds, Tim Miller, and the two writers were all heavily passionate and invested with it. Enough so that it convinced the studio to stay "hands off" for once.

That is the approach they need to take if they have any chance of successfully rebooting the FF and then bringing the Surfer back into the fold. I worry about this because this is something Marvel Studios learned long time ago. Fox may not surrender those rights yet.

It would be really hard to go back and do a Silver Surfer movie without routing it thru the Fantastic Four first. They had a good shot before and ruined it with the Galactus cloud.

They need to start with him on Zenn-La first and do the proper origin with a proper Galactus.

Without the Fantastic Four, it's going to fall flat...hard. Look how they retooled his FF-less origin in his 90s cartoon...sucked.

I like how you're thinking.

A Surfer trilogy or two movie span.

Start with his origin on Zenn La, middle is conversion to the surfer and his years after with Galactus, and end with his arrival on earth for part one.(he's soaring through space looking for planets for Galactus to consume, and the last thing we see is him focusing on a distant planet, as he draws nearer we see it's the earth, done.

Part two picks up from there, and reintroduces the FF

Why not?

Let`s face it he is the bread and butter of the Fantastic Four franchise.

Maybe Fox has something planned without FF?

Here is some speculation. Not much,but it got me thinking.

Silver Surfer movie!

This might sound silly, but why couldn't they use a team of the X-Men instead of the Fantastic Four?

I'd like to see one but Silver Surfer sounds like a lot of money on something not related to anything that's been bankable to me and that doesn't seem like the move they'd make right now after Deadpool.

I don't see how one makes an economical Silver Surfer movie, and on the other hand I don't see how you greenlight an expensive one and feel good about it.

The way to redo the FF is to skip the origin story and introduce them as part of a Silver Surfer story. Tell the story of Galactus coming to Zenn-La and how Norin Rad becomes the Surfer as Part I. Part II the Surfer discovers Earth and the FF.

How long do they have before they lose the rights...?

I just don't see anything upcoming that won't be X related.

The contract terms noted previously has been ten years. Which is why Daredevil transitioned back in 2013 (movie was 2003) and Elektra was 2015 (movie was 2005). So it seems to be the trend.

Just a guess:

Daredevil went back to Marvel in 2012. I think it' s a 7 year in-production (what level of which I'm not sure) deal and the Elektra movie constituted a Daredevil movie, so 7 years after 2005 all rights went back to Marvel. As of early 2013 Feige had been quoted as believing he already had Elektra, he just wasn't really asked before IMHO.

I think this was misreported (them being seperate) and while a lot of sites reported Feige confirming Daredevil's return in 2013, it actually occurred the previous fall.