• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

submitting my walking dead 100 with kirkman auto

27 posts in this topic

#3 says written on cover...that TOS 39 8.0 is written inside. It's #2

So it does.

This is actually a mix of 2 & 3. Unverified sig, blue label, hit on grade (I'm assuming the sig caused a hit).

I think a better way to look at it - is that the "#2" statement is not 100% true.

You have a book that is 9.8 - but signed inside by anyone - would not get a 9.8.

Same book - but say it has the other characteristics of a 8.0 - a simple internal sig may not cause a grade hit at all. External sharpie sig - would get green or affect grade.

Same book - as a 5.0 --- internal or external signature - probably does not affect grade at all.

note that the grade limits I am using - pulling them out of a hat - I do not know if CGC sets hard limits for this.

Would be interesting if jaybuck had more infor on the specific book. If there was indeed a grade hit for the sig - that is painful (given the specific book and specific sig). Would be awesome if CGC would offer 3rd party verification for something like this - since the value shift for this book is significant every grade bump/drop.

are you sure it would be awesome if CGC did 3rd party verification? awesome for who? CGC competitors?

Honestly, I am glad that CGC does not offer that service. Right now CGC has two tiers. Verified sig, saying one of their people physically observed the signing and they are putting their reputation behind it. I doubt anyone has ever cast doubt on a Sig Series signature. Then there is "written" tier, which is that they state that a name was written and not witnessed (which causes defect on FC, notation on interior, for blue label) That puts a responsibility on the buyer. Do they trust that the signature is authentic in order to justify a price bump?

Honestly, I am glad that CGC does not offer that service. Right now CGC has two tiers. Verified sig, saying one of their people physically observed the signing and they are putting their reputation behind it. I doubt anyone has ever cast doubt on a Sig Series signature. Then there is "written" tier, which is that they state that a name was written and not witnessed (which causes defect on FC, notation on interior, for blue label) That puts a responsibility on the buyer. Do they trust that the signature is authentic in order to justify a price bump?

I would like for CGC to offer an "authentication" option - for no other reason than to give different options for this service. They may never do so - and I also understand the reasoning for that.

When I said it would be awesome - I meant for the owner of this specific book and taking into account some assumptions. Ok - a lot of assumptions.

Lets say that the owner is looking to sell for maximum $$$.

Assume that the book is an 8.5 and was docked .5 for the internal writing.

Also assume that there is a potential pressing bump.

Assume the last GPA sales are relatively accurate for FMV - there is not a ton of data but just for reference/example. Note that price bumps are based on gpa or estimated GPA - and are most likely not precise (there are limited data points on this book) - but even if you realize 50% of the current GPA - you are doing GOOD.

Also assume that CGC has partnered with a reputable authentication team and now offers an "authentic" sig tier.

This specific book - looks like it has changed hands three times over the past several years. Comparable sales (this book vs other 8.0) - no real recent sales that are close in timeframe - so assume that the FMV of the book with internal unverified sig - is the same relative FMV as standard 8.0

OK - here is why I think for this book - this service would be awesome. It is a silver aged key - and any bump, especially in higher grade books- is significant.

Selling as is: might get typical 8.0 value. Probably no bump for sig - why? - its hidden! Not even an armchair "autograph hound:" can guess if it is real.

Resubmit - through verification program only - 8.5 with verification. This alone is 10K bump just for label without any real consideration for the sig.

Resubmit through pressing and verification - lose the .5 penalty and get back .5 from the press. You now have a 9.0 - and another bump in price. No 9.0 data since 2013 - but would be a kick over the 8.5.

Lots of assumptions here and things going right - but for the value of this book - even a verification program that gets rid of any "writing penalty" - is worth the cost from an investment standpoint.

back to the OP though - this is NOT what I would recommend for a modern book - I thought it was an interesting tangent based on the specific example posted.

#3 says written on cover...that TOS 39 8.0 is written inside. It's #2

So it does.

This is actually a mix of 2 & 3. Unverified sig, blue label, hit on grade (I'm assuming the sig caused a hit).

I think a better way to look at it - is that the "#2" statement is not 100% true.

You have a book that is 9.8 - but signed inside by anyone - would not get a 9.8.

jthm-1-special-cgc-9.8-f.jpg

jthm-1-special-cgc-9.8-ss-f.jpg

Buzzetta debunked the impervious nature of the SS series when he went to a con and sigs were at one place then you carry them over across the room to the verification site. As he pointed out he could have easily slipped any number of books with bogus sigs 'into the system'.

I had a similar experience with Stan Lee a few years back at NYCC. We got signed by Stan, then waited with one of the witnesses from NYComics, then when we had a bunch of people, walked back from the basement of the Javits center up to their booth, finished the paperwork and handed over the books. Could I have slipped in a previously signed (or faked) stan sig? Possibly. But that would be a lot of work to fake a stan signature.