• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question

13 posts in this topic

Would you crack a 9.8 book on the off chance you could get a sig from an actor who plays the character? It's not a guarantee so it's a risk to crack it, and I'm sure cracking a slab takes more than a minute, so it's not like I can crack it if he does agree to it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Do you mean something like - You are going to be a dinner function with "Celebrity X" and would I crack a 9.8 for that?

If so, it would completely depend upon the celebrity. If I were going to get Harrison Ford or Leonardo DiCaprio or Jennifer Lawrence or someone like that, I absolutely would. I would get it done and then get it green labeled for my collection, knowing that i got it done myself would be good for me.

If it was a lower tier celebrity, I would not do it. I would wait for an opportunity to get an SS opportunity and do it then.

Would you crack a 9.8 book on the off chance you could get a sig from an actor who plays the character? It's not a guarantee so it's a risk to crack it, and I'm sure cracking a slab takes more than a minute, so it's not like I can crack it if he does agree to it. Any insight would be appreciated.

probably too many variables for anyone to give a reasonable answer.

How much do you love the actor? How valuable is the book? What are your odds of meeting this actor? What are the odds of him/her signing? Is your goal to get CGC SS? What are the odds that you'll have a CGC witness available? Are you rich? Are you wearing pants? How good are you at cracking slabs? How rare are opportunities for this actor? What type of location will you be at? Beach party? Movie premiere? Comic con?

How much do you love the actor? How valuable is the book? What are your odds of meeting this actor? What are the odds of him/her signing? Is your goal to get CGC SS? What are the odds that you'll have a CGC witness available? Are you rich? Are you wearing pants? How good are you at cracking slabs? How rare are opportunities for this actor? What type of location will you be at? Beach party? Movie premiere? Comic con?

Great actor.

It's getting to be a valuable book as it's a first appearance of someone in an upcoming movie.

50/50.

50/50.

Yes.

100%.

No.

Yes.

Never cracked a slab.

Rare enough that I'm debating doing this.

Outdoor event.

Great actor.

It's getting to be a valuable book as it's a first appearance of someone in an upcoming movie.

50/50.

50/50.

Yes.

100%.

No.

Yes.

Never cracked a slab.

Outdoor event.

I'm not sure, but it seems like you'll have a CGC SS witness available to you? If so that would make it more worth it. If they're a facilitator, just bring your slab and pay them $10 to crack it for you on the spot, provided it can be done in a non-rushed fairly stable environment (LA is pretty stable generally). If there's no facilitator, do it yourself at home, maybe practice on some lesser comics first.

I say go for it! One of my cousins once got some NICK FURY trading cards signed by Samuel L Jackson at a charity dinner (my cousin was a waiter for the caterer), and some THING cards signed by the COMMISH/Vic Mackey.

Great actor.

50/50.

50/50.

Yes.

100%.

No.

Yes.

Never cracked a slab.

*Outdoor event.*

Imagine a bird poops on the book as the celeb is signing it? :eek:

On a serious note, just do it, crack it open, prep it for a sig and if it doesn't work out, then just resub the book.

Great actor.

50/50.

50/50.

Yes.

100%.

No.

Yes.

Never cracked a slab.

*Outdoor event.*

On a serious note, just do it, crack it open, prep it for a sig and if it doesn't work out, then just resub the book.

Believe it or not, I was trying to get something signed once, the wind blew and ripped a page. It's definitely risky.

If you have a witness available, I would do it every time. Every time.

My assumption was no witness. I apologize for not acknowledging that you are a baller. (worship)

lol. I believe I wrote I wasn't a baller. :)

If you have a witness available, I would do it every time. Every time.

My assumption was no witness. I apologize for not acknowledging that you are a baller. (worship)

lol. I believe I wrote I wasn't a baller. :)

that's what a baller would say.

Someone who isn't a baller would say 'I dabble in ball-related activities'

Great actor.

50/50.

50/50.

Yes.

100%.

No.

Yes.

Never cracked a slab.

*Outdoor event.*

Believe it or not, I was trying to get something signed once, the wind blew and ripped a page. It's definitely risky.

Window bagging, my friend...