• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CURATOR XMEN 35 ON EBAY..........

21 posts in this topic

geez, not too up on x-men, that a key ish or something? dunno much about pedigrees so a grand for a non key that far into the title seems pricey, but i am lame so i dunno heh :P

27_laughing.gif Drdonaldblake has never seen a HG SA book that he thought was overpriced (except when it's a book that he's trying to buy, of course!). gossip.gif

27_laughing.gif, makes sense, then again all the SA around here is vastly over priced, if i am buying low grade, it means i don't wanna pay 40 bucks a book for a 5.0 non key DD #31 or something hehe

geez, not too up on x-men, that a key ish or something? dunno much about pedigrees so a grand for a non key that far into the title seems pricey, but i am lame so i dunno heh :P

The first Spiderman cross over to the X-Men title, a pedigree,white pages , and nicely centered do make this a high ticket book.

The first Spiderman cross over to the X-Men title, a pedigree,white pages , and nicely centered do make this a high ticket book.

Plus Jason Ewert is selling it, that alone seems to generate higher prices.

Curator's have a strong following and do not seem to pop up as often as other Peds, just my vibe. That price has got to be a record, I'm sure the fact that Ewert was selling helped - though I haven't bought anything off him since the DD #11 Green River Incident.

Also the fact that the Curator is in a New Label would have staved off my ambition.

The price kind of stuns me. Maybe this is Tripps' buddy who's trying to recreate the Curator collection? Curator is a wonderful pedigree, but the reason it stands out is because of the ultra-HGs (9.6, 9.8) and awesome PQ seen in its early 60s issues. Paying that kind of a premium for a mid-60s 9.4, no matter what pedigree it comes from, is something I don't understand. confused-smiley-013.gif

The price kind of stuns me. Maybe this is Tripps' buddy who's trying to recreate the Curator collection? Curator is a wonderful pedigree, but the reason it stands out is because of the ultra-HGs (9.6, 9.8) and awesome PQ seen in its early 60s issues. Paying that kind of a premium for a mid-60s 9.4, no matter what pedigree it comes from, is something I don't understand. confused-smiley-013.gif

Tim, when I completed my X-Men run back in the 1980s, 35 was one of the last ones to get. It's tough cause it's a Spidey cross-over with the X-Men and a black cover. I know I'm stating the obvious, but many of these issues were warehouse finds, like 37, to name one. But, my experience was that 35 was probably the toughest of the first 66 to find. I'm not basing my info on the census, which I probably should, just on my experiences. I think the buyer got a good price. Harley Yee had a 9.6 priced at $5000 years ago, but I don't know if he sold it or not.

Joe

Tim, when I completed my X-Men run back in the 1980s, 35 was one of the last ones to get. It's tough cause it's a Spidey cross-over with the X-Men and a black cover. I know I'm stating the obvious, but many of these issues were warehouse finds, like 37, to name one. But, my experience was that 35 was probably the toughest of the first 66 to find. I'm not basing my info on the census, which I probably should, just on my experiences. I think the buyer got a good price. Harley Yee had a 9.6 priced at $5000 years ago, but I don't know if he sold it or not.

Joe

I've seen 9.4 copies on eBay before, and a quick check of the census shows 3 in 9.6, 13 in 9.4 and 13 in 9.2. Although not as easy to find as 36 and 37, its census numbers are comparable to 34. It's definitely not scarce. Anyways, more power to the buyer, there was obviously more than just 1 person who valued this book at this kind of nosebleed price.

Only 1 9.6 listed on GPA - sold for $2300 in 2002. This one went for about 40% more than a recently sold 9.4, which is about right for this pedigree I'm guessing. So I agree with you. Right square between a 9.4 and a 9.6 for a 9.4 Curator - not bad...

The one Harley had was in his catalog, not on eBay, so his sale - if he sold it - would not appear in GPA. I cannot emphasize enough, though, that Spidey and X-Men collectors converge on this issue like a feeding frenzy whenever it appears in high grade. I think mine is only a 9.0 or so cause I gave up after a while and, thankfully, it was just before the first huge surge of Marvel Silver Age price increases that began in the early 1990s. 3 9.6's is not nearly enough to satisfy the high grade market. This will be a book to hold its value and then some.

Joe