• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC grader's notes and applying them for Grading Guide

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I don't know if this has been done yet, but I think it would be useful to apply the free CGC grader's notes and creating some sort CGC grading guidelines like Overstreet.

For example, I thought it was impossible to get a CGC 9.8 if the spine has spine stress lines. I got this on grader's note on 1 of my multiple modern 9.8s of the same comic: "Spine Multiple Stress Lines." I got 11 - 9.8s, one 9.8 with the above grading note, 10 - 9.8 with no notes. and 1 -9.6 with no notes. All the books were screened to be good 9.8 candidates and pressed if needed. I guess the lines were so Lite. Also, got a 9.8 on a different book with a visible stress line/tick that very faintly breaks color that I was surprised as well but very happy (New Mutants #98, no less).

Interpretation:

CGC 9.8: Nearly perfect in everyway. Spine stress allowed in this grade if Lite/Minimal.

I think spine stress is allowed more in non-modern books at 9.8. I don't see it much in Modern. Most of the time I see books get hammered down to 9.4-9.6 with spine stress.

Here is Overstreet:

MINT (MT, Overstreet 100-98)

Near perfect in every way. Only the most subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Cover inks are bright with high reflectivity and minimal fading. Corners are cut square and sharp. Staples are generally centered and clean with no rust. Cover is generally centered and firmly secured to interior pages. Paper is supple and fresh. Spine it tight and flat.

For me when grading, I assume a perfect book and then start subtracting based on defects. The description in Overstreet goes without saying.

I can post more of my books notes in different grades if people find this discussion useful.

I wish I had gotten your grader, I got dished a bunch of 7's and a 6.5 for spine stress you simply cannot see. the book looks like a 9.4 so I don't know whats going on, just that I'm very not happy.

Recognize the fact that the pressure of the slab itself on the book inside will mask a lot of the spine stress. What you see inside the slab is not necessarily what CGC sees in hand.