• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare FF 66 & 67 80's reprints @ .12 cover price???

25 posts in this topic

Just like this one Nina...

ff51.jpg

I posted this earlier in the grading forum - it's a beatiful cover but someforumites knew something was off by the slightly different cover inks' richness and depth of color...I think the back is an ad for an X-men nintendo game?

Oh and as for Overstreet not having it...yup..count on that being the norm rather than the exception. The OS guide is sorely lacking for my taste and I did'nt really use this at all until I got on these forums and had to see what everyone was creaming over... I don't use the Overstreet for much....I have a 2001 copy and may pick up the 2003 when and if it comes out. I mainly use Wizard for pricing... Wizard rules wink.gif

I mainly use Wizard for pricing... Wizard rules

Of course it does Darth......for modern [!@#%^&^]. tongue.gif

But seriously though I see what you are saying about Overstreet. They don't really cater to the modern collector at all. The system they use to price books is based on many years of comparative data and as a result modern books sit in there for cover price for long periods.

Having said that I don't think they should change the system.The prices are so volatile for modern books that an acurate guide price cannot really be determined for many years (kind of like the CGC market currently).

Wizard actually does fill this void in Overstreet quite well.

These books all immediately stand out as reprints when you see them in person because they are just too sharp to be true (I believe they are all also modern size books and more narrow than the originals). I remember the first time I came across them about 5 years ago in a store in Camp Hill, PA just outside of Harrisburg, run by two sleaze bags. The Adams/X-men/Sauron issue was on the wall and I asked to look at it. It was for sale at $75. Normally, I would give someone the benefit of the doubt and say some cheese-eating teenage clerk didn't know what they were doing. However, the owner virtually refused to take it down and wanted me to guarantee that I would buy it if he did. When he finally took it down, he refused to remove it from the bag and backing board. When I told him it was a reprint, he became enraged and told me I didn't know anything about comics. I finally convinced him to remove it (hey, how could I buy it if didn't examine it) and we went through the same song and dance-I had to promise to buy it. Finally, when he insisted it was still original despite my pointing out the ad, I told him he was either incompetent, which I doubted, or a thief ripping off his fairly young clientele. Unreal. Caused quite the scene, with a buch of teenage kids and collectors in their early 20's gathered around. Pretty funny, albeit sad.

So, obviously they are real honest to good reprints. Had no idea. What are they worth? (Please don't answer with whatever anybody will pay for them) Are these in anyway desireable?