• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling on E-Bay? Opinions....

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Been reading this forum for several months now and it seems like a great place to get a variety of opinions. So, on that note....

I was looking for some general info and suggestions as to selling on E-Bay. From reading some posts, it seems like there are "expert" sellers out there who could offer some tips.

Should I have a different account for buying and selling? Is it better to sell lots of comics rather than as individuals? Offer paypal as a payment method?

I know I shy away sometimes from low feedback sellers on E-Bay and was wondering what makes all you forum members take a closer look at particular auctions.

Appreciate your thoughts....

P.S. Thanks for the 5 star rating...don't know what I did to deserve it blush.gif

Wasonff,

Welcome to Comic World; the land of milk and honey and the never-ending pit of Modern 9.8s!!

So how did you like those 5 stars? As Dan Akroyd said, "Savor the flavor, 'cuz it won't happen again!" (and no, I did not knock your rating down, some other clown did. I don't bother with stars unless someone acts first). Don't get caught up in the star system , they're worthless. Unless you have 3 or more, then I am your beeyotch!!

Anyhoo, as far as selling on ebay, I'll defer to the big wigs here on most of your questions. But I will state emphatically, Get 2 accounts, one for buying and one for selling; it will make your life a lot easier! Now don't argue with me, just do it.

Trust me. shocked.gifblush.gifsmirk.gifgrin.gif

Rick

First, if you're going to be buying stuff, I would use one account and get your feedback established (over 10) before trying to sell...the higher the better.

Second, if you're selling gold/silver/bronze worth over $10, I think it's a good idea to provide large/clear scans and descriptions, and offer a return policy.

Third - you should have 2 Paypal accounts - one for buying (linked to your cc), and one for selling (which will need to be linked to your checking account to accept over $xxx in payments). There are several existing threads on how to set up your Paypal accounts - read 'em!

Believe it or not, I think having an "about me" page really helps a lot. It doesn't have to be fancy or what not, just a little something giving people more background info about you. I had a few auctions that ended this past weekend and I have nothing tangible to prove it, but I think having an about me page that my prospective bidders could look at got them a little more comfortable with me and hence put them more at ease about placing a bid. My About Me page is ridiculously simple, but you can get it as elaborate as you want.

Best of luck,

DAM

I agree...and I think the reason it helps is that it identifies the seller as a "comic guy", and not some distinterested 3rd party. So use it to make yourself sound like a true believer!

I enjoyed your about me page DAM and I'm not sure what you bought from actionbobk but he certainly loved you as a customer. wink.gif

I wanted to thank you for the link to The Man of Steel's post in the "Advice for new collectors" thread. I somehow was blind to that thread when I first started reading these forums last week. Thank you!

hi there,

a question - i've heard from several areas/sources that having TWO accounts is a MUST on ebay (buying, and selling).

i've been an active ebayer for 6 months now - and i really don't see any extremely obviously advantages of having two accounts. can anyone elucidate?

Some people like having two accounts because they want the freedom to leave a negative on a seller that is a w/o having to worry about a retalitory negative which can possibly damage their feedback (ie if they had one ID for buying and selling).

True, but if someone is smart. They can use both ID's for repeat business in order to receive positives on both accounts.

I personally view feedback in great detail because it gives you an idea of what the seller is like. You can usually weed out the slow shippers, poor packers, and those who lack communication. Usually they are high feedback powersellers shocked.gif