• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It is time for Comic Book Men to be cancelled

82 posts in this topic

I really should take advantage of those "Earn a Juris Doctorate Online in 6 months" emails that some others on these boards have already taken advantage of.

On the whole, the show is pretty good. I love the parts around the table with Kevin Smith, the negotiations with customers (usually some good joking around in those, especially from Bryan), and then just sitting around talking.

The parts I cannot stand are the "main plot" pieces of the episode, especially if they have nothing to do with comics. On a recent episode they went to an old west mock up town that was particularly boring. Other boring episodes were the Renaissance Fair and BronyCon. These are not directly comic book related and look mostly to fit into the "nerd culture".

Episodes involving actual comics or comic related items have been fantastic. Like getting CGC to give their opinion as to which comics to grade, getting Mike a drawing by George Perez, or even the auctions that they help create.

The parts I cannot stand are the "main plot" pieces of the episode, especially if they have nothing to do with comics. On a recent episode they went to an old west mock up town that was particularly boring. Other boring episodes were the Renaissance Fair and BronyCon. These are not directly comic book related and look mostly to fit into the "nerd culture".

Yes, these are the worst but I do think, and they may even be right, that they think that's the part that appeals to a wider audience.

Watched it once and never tuned in again.*

No redeeming value to that show whatsoever.

I accidentally wandered in front of their camera at Baltimore Comic Con one year when they were doing a segment on that Cryptozoic Comic or whatever. Sheepishly said I was sorry, and they got a laugh out of it, so I guess they're good sports.

Here's how I'd do the show:

A brainiac host - a hot girl - ya know, the Attack of the Show formula

A report of the week's new comics coming out

pre-taped convention interviews asking comic fans trivia (for a prize)

Special comic guest live in the studio

Comic reviews - maybe get Blair Butler to make a return

roundtable discussion of 4 REAL comic fans showing their latest purchases (of G,S,B books) and why they bought them

The return of girls on trampoline's over the closing credits

*Did watch the clip featuring Lauren, of course.

I accidentally wandered in front of their camera at Baltimore Comic Con one year when they were doing a segment on that Cryptozoic Comic or whatever. Sheepishly said I was sorry, and they got a laugh out of it, so I guess they're good sports.

roundtable discussion of 4 REAL comic fans showing their latest purchases (of G,S,B books) and why they bought them

Cool ideas. HBO should start that and then the girls can be nude :devil:

I prefer it not show our hobby as a bunch of slobs hanging around a shop all day.

Its a "stigma" I have fought for years when I talk about my hobby.

Take a shower, shave, wear deodorant and dress in decent clothing.

Its not asking much, but anyone who has been to numerous shows knows what I am talking about.

Cool ideas. HBO should start that and then the girls can be nude :devil:

As much as my wife hated the "Man Show" there were episodes that were just hilarious.

That snickers bar and beer in the toilet with a $20 was just hilarious.

I sold a comic book to Mike Zapcics wife a few weeks ago.

A Starman TPB. She said it was one of the books he lost in the storm and was looking to replace .

Just had to share, noone else I tell offline would even know who i was talking about .

If you guys haven't heard of it there's a pretty cool little show on you tube by Lords of the Long Box called Lords of the Round Table. These collectors all do a weekly live show where they discuss their weekly pick ups and speculations. Talk about comic related stuff in the media yadda yadda. Good stuff I think.

Back to the show, though, I like the roundtable because these guys have chemistry. They grew up together and look like they are having a lot of fun. Change the subject from the fake stuff that happened in the store that week to what's new in the world of comics and you have a winner. Bring in guests like Jim Lee, Garth Ennis, Kevin Eastman, Frank Miller, Rich Buckler, Marv Wolfman, Roy Thomas, Neal Adams or stars form the comic related movies and TV shows and they would have a big hit. Like "The View" except with entertaining guests and funny hosts.

I agree.....and please quit making the guest appearances so stupid and scripted.

Walt: Hey guys....did you hear Stan Lee is in town for the convention?

Brian: Hayuck.....garsh......who is Stan Lee?

<5 minutes later Stan Lee randomly stumbles into this particular comic shop>

If you guys haven't heard of it there's a pretty cool little show on you tube by Lords of the Long Box called Lords of the Round Table. These collectors all do a weekly live show where they discuss their weekly pick ups and speculations. Talk about comic related stuff in the media yadda yadda. Good stuff I think.

Why can't ANY of these people hire an editor to make sure their information is accurate...?

:shrug:

Saw one episode hoping it would be something cool. Never watched another episode.

They should have something like PBS Antique Roadshow filmed at comic book conventions (*). People bring in their comics and have it filmed/graded. I'd watch that.

(*)...If this ever comes true I want full credit for this idea lol

Great idea!

Get it rolling and if you need some producers lmk.

Why can't ANY of these people hire an editor to make sure their information is accurate...?

How much would you charge? Legit question. I might start a comic radio show one day.

I was on internet radio once, just because I thought it would be cool to be heard by the Galileo Probe in Jupiter.

That would be sweeeet

I hadn't noticed the info was inaccurate (shrug)

Oh man did you just say the wrong thing.

They once called Web of Spiderman #1 the "first appearance of the black costume."