• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventures Of Superman #596

52 posts in this topic

Im not upset when theres discussion related to a book and its impacts in our society.

Then please enlighten us on the vast importance of a tiny part of a piece of fiction being almost, kind of, a little bit similar to reality.

Even comic collectors don't really care about AoS596 and never have!

We all know that this book came out a day after the 9/11 attacks according to the overwhelming majority of reports found online.

To question that would be understandable.

To argue that would be juvenile and counterproductive as it is truly irrelevant to this topic's subject.

Only the coincidental timing of an image with two damaged towers makes this issue even remotely notable. So it is very relevant.

I'm not arguing against the timing, and some areas having the release delayed is actually irrelevant.

In fact, this books eerie resemblance to the events that happened the day before published would seem even scarier had this book been published a week or month before

Eerie resemblance? First, Metropolis is a partial analog of NYC, but it is not NYC. Second, I don't remember the part of the story where the Lexcorp Towers (which are not the WTC) collapsed. Third, the towers weren't even hit by anything, let alone airplanes. Fourth, the actual damage occurred in the storyline that ran during the previous three (or so) months. Fifth, I remember Y2K being fairly uneventful in our world, without a future intelligence reshaping NYC and weaponizing the WTC towers.

Besides, property damage on a 9/11 scale (or greater) is a fairly regular occurrence in the DCU (and in the Marvel Universe). The same storyline that resulted in that image from AoS596 also saw large-scale destruction in Kansas, with Topeka being the epicenter.

I have no idea what youve just said dude. Seriously

Sorry

I tried

The irony was the smoke rolling out of the twin towers in the book and in our own lives. I can't speak for anyone else but I cared. I'd been reading comics maybe 21 or 22 years or so when this book came out. It was the first where collateral or even direct damage (including Kingdom Come ) really stood out to me. Civil War was the second time that comes to mind. The visual of it all was much more powerful than saying 3000+ people were murdered.

The date is less important to me than the time period. They drew the picture well before the WTC was attacked. It also stood out to me because it did happen to Metropolis, not Gotham. Metropolis was more how I viewed NYC prior to the attacks while Gotham would better reflect NYC today. Issue #596 is a bookmark of the before and after in comics since 9/11.

The irony was the smoke rolling out of the twin towers in the book and in our own lives. I can't speak for anyone else but I cared. I'd been reading comics maybe 21 or 22 years or so when this book came out. It was the first where collateral or even direct damage (including Kingdom Come ) really stood out to me. Civil War was the second time that comes to mind. The visual of it all was much more powerful than saying 3000+ people were murdered.

The date is less important to me than the time period. They drew the picture well before the WTC was attacked. It also stood out to me because it did happen to Metropolis, not Gotham. Metropolis was more how I viewed NYC prior to the attacks while Gotham would better reflect NYC today. Issue #596 is a bookmark of the before and after in comics since 9/11.

Amazing Spider-man volume 2 #36 (2001) is that book that divides the before and after for me... but the image of smoke near the top of both towers in AoS #596 is very evocative. Many other comics are popular now for significantly less meaningful reasons (random-mashup-gwens, for example).

Well said my friend. Well said

Never forget

Whenever I get back to The City, I take the subway to Brooklyn and walk back over the BBridge to to enjoy the NY skyline (and the bridge, of course). I remember the first occasion after 9/11 - Man, was I pissed off! :sumo::frustrated:rantrant

Whenever I get back to The City, I take the subway to Brooklyn and walk back over the BBridge to to enjoy the NY skyline (and the bridge, of course). I remember the first occasion after 9/11 - Man, was I pissed off! :sumo::frustrated:rantrant

:sorry:

3 days after the attack going over the brooklyn bridge, not a dry eye in the train car.

3 days after the attack going over the brooklyn bridge, not a dry eye in the train car.

I remember driving on the BQE/278 across the E river from ground zero... WEEKS after the attacks.. There was STILL debris flying in the air..