• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,325 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2023 at 12:21 PM, namisgr said:

Copies that I bought off the rack and had graded and slabbed, without any pressing.  It was experiences like with these that I learned CGC would downgrade for things like slight bends in cover overhang or corners that were natural to most newsstand comic books of the day.

FF141cgc.thumb.jpg.63de3a7fd659bee0c1c538b65793f8f0.jpg   FF143cgc.thumb.jpg.bc6c2c5f90a0c0c9cbd0b9f7026197c0.jpg 

FF144cgc.thumb.jpg.a024a4d6d169b7258d3ed947b0e788a9.jpg  FF146cgc.thumb.jpg.94f6fc35069806295c0a54b4b55b92ce.jpg

Yep, I always thought their grading policy on overhang was absurd.

On 6/9/2023 at 12:50 AM, MattTheDuck said:

God I thought this was a dumb villain when this issue came in the mail. You can almost smell the sweat.  Plus which, both Makizmo and especially Thundra's eyes are very poorly rendered.

FF - 151 - 1.jpg

I almost posted the same thing! I thought he was a dumb villain and the name was just as bad. A play on "machismo" isn't great to begin with, but worse it just sounds like "gizmo". Gizmo? Gizmo? What kind of name for a bad guy is that? That's a word the Thing would use talking about Reed's latest invention.

On 6/9/2023 at 5:02 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

I almost posted the same thing! I thought he was a dumb villain and the name was just as bad. A play on "machismo" isn't great to begin with, but worse it just sounds like "gizmo". Gizmo? Gizmo? What kind of name for a bad guy is that? That's a word the Thing would use talking about Reed's latest invention.

It's a pretty ham-handed social commentary effort.  Surprised he didn't have a sidekick called "Testosteronio"