• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,325 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2023 at 8:42 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Another smoker!!! I may have to investigate this portion of the run in the future! Until then, keep these beauties coming!!!  :banana:

Ya, I always loved #159 - such a well done cover. If you were ever to jump in to 9.8 Bronze FF collecting, now is the time to do it - prices are down. Although I heard a rumor  @FlyingDonut might be getting back in. :)

On 6/17/2023 at 12:32 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

Ya, I always loved #159 - such a well done cover. If you were ever to jump in to 9.8 Bronze FF collecting, now is the time to do it - prices are down. Although I heard a rumor  @FlyingDonut might be getting back in. :)

Thanks for the tip! My wallet is a bit emptier that I'd like it to be right now as well. There's a lot of great stuff that's been coming out recently!  

Non-subscription copy.  I don't know why, perhaps it's the "sports" angle or "skating" on a vacuum, but I really liked this issue back in the day. I remember feeling kind of bad for Gaard with the way he "walks" away, head down, defeated, and of course the almost-multi-verse angle. The other interesting thing is that the "good guys" win here by using a misdirection play - some might question the ethics.

I was the only kid I knew who liked hockey. There's no such thing as a pond that's frozen over in winter here, so virtually no kid was playing any hockey.  Like all kids sports today, you had to buck up if you wanted to play.  We had a semi-pro team that my dad took me to see a couple of times and I ended up with a hockey stick and a puck or two that I'd bash around in the garage. 

Around the time this book was published, our town was "awarded" a Major Junior hockey team (which is still here today) and a couple of the players ended up at my high school. Chicks dug 'em, so you know, I moved a bit farther down the queue.  A few years later, they hosted and became the first non-Canadian team to hoist the Memorial Cup. I found out then I sure wasn't the only hockey fan in town. I attended all their games in that tournament, and I'll tell you it was bedlam - easily as loud and much rowdier than when the Blazers won the NBA title in the same building a half-dozen years before. Besides soccer and basketball, hockey is the only other professional sport I think would work here.

FF - 163 - 2.jpg

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 6/21/2023 at 1:30 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

There is pretty much no doubt that Frankie Raye/Nova will be in the MCU at some point. Get a copy while you can.

That was completely off my radar, thanks!

I have fond memories buying this one off the stands and enjoying the George Perez art, which was the first time for me. I later had him autograph one of my copies.

FF165.jpg