• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,325 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2022 at 10:11 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm so excited - I finally picked up an FF 320 in 9.8. It was off eBay which I rarely look at anymore - glad I checked this week!  I now have FF 148-362 in 9.8. @FlyingDonut

Fantastic run of comics (pun intended).  It's such a great title.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:11 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm so excited - I finally picked up an FF 320 in 9.8. It was off eBay which I rarely look at anymore - glad I checked this week!  I now have FF 148-362 in 9.8. @FlyingDonut

FF320.jpg

Nice job! Are you going to go out to 416 to finish the first series run? The 147 is insanely hard in 9.8.

On 6/1/2022 at 5:50 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Nice job! Are you going to go out to 416 to finish the first series run? The 147 is insanely hard in 9.8.

Thanks! Yeah, I am - probably to 645. Although after 400, it seems no one really sends in for grading, so I'll have to do myself.  And yes, I'll probably never get a 147. ugh

On 6/2/2022 at 2:48 AM, namisgr said:

My original copy.  It always rankled me in seeing the grades of my books that CGC would assign a 9.6 to pristine comics that had small and very minor overhang bends to the top or bottom edges or corners that were natural to nearly all comics, like in the lower right corner tip of this example, but could be pressed out to often give a book an unnatural looking (to me) 'starched collar' appearance.

FF152.jpg.79fb152bf486b55f5290047b0ef11a14.jpg

I hate that!

On 6/2/2022 at 2:48 AM, namisgr said:

My original copy.  It always rankled me in seeing the grades of my books that CGC would assign a 9.6 to pristine comics that had small and very minor overhang bends to the top or bottom edges or corners that were natural to nearly all comics, like in the lower right corner tip of this example, but could be pressed out to often give a book an unnatural looking (to me) 'starched collar' appearance.

FF152.jpg.79fb152bf486b55f5290047b0ef11a14.jpg

That seems to me like a production flaw

On 6/2/2022 at 11:24 AM, MattTheDuck said:

That seems to me like a production flaw

The sharp corner is there.  It's just ever so slightly tucked down at the tip of the corner.  And there's a tiny downward bend to a < half inch section of the top edge, over the 'O' in comics.