• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Fantastic Four Appreciation Thread
8 8

1,324 posts in this topic

I've told this story a few times on here: Back in the early 80s, I bought a 30 cent FF 171 (the one below) and the regular 25 cent copy that was right behind it. I thought I had found something special (I used to line them up and show people), but unfortunately, the thought that there might be others never crossed my mind. Too bad, because if it had, I'd probably have a full set of 30 cent variants, living in San Jose (one of the test market cities).

FF0171-98.jpg

FF0171v.jpg

On 6/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

I've told this story a few times on here: Back in the early 80s, I bought a 30 cent FF 171 (the one below) and the regular 25 cent copy that was right behind it. I thought I had found something special (I used to line them up and show people), but unfortunately, the thought that there might be others never crossed my mind. Too bad, because if it had, I'd probably have a full set of 30 cent variants, living in San Jose (one of the test market cities).

FF0171-98.jpg

FF0171v.jpg

If we only knew.

I grew up in San Jose, just across the Milpitas city limit, but moved (1983) before getting into the collecting side of comics. I can barely recognize the area today.

Here are two different copies of FF #247.  One has what I think of as the more "traditional" price/issue number and one has this information in an "M."  I assume the "M means something, but don't know what.  As none of my copies of #246 have this, it must denote some change, but what?

FF - 247 - 2.jpg

FF - 247 - 3.jpg

On 6/23/2022 at 3:57 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Here are two different copies of FF #247.  One has what I think of as the more "traditional" price/issue number and one has this information in an "M."  I assume the "M means something, but don't know what.  As none of my copies of #246 have this, it must denote some change, but what?

FF - 247 - 2.jpg

FF - 247 - 3.jpg

This is the direct edition and the "M" stands for Marvel.