• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotten Tomatoes critics are full of it! Batman v Superman was good! spoilers!

141 posts in this topic

I like the little touches they put in. In the dream sequence where Bruce/Bats was a full blown soldier not opposed to killing, he whipped out the same 1911 type pistol that killed his parents and started shooting the enemy with it. Everyone else was using a more modern design.

my favorite little touch was the appearance of the end credits.

lol

I went in with low expectations due to the horrible trailers and left disappointed and a little angry.

just say "martha, martha, martha" and you'll snap-back better than new.

We shall see this weekend if the critics bias will have any affect on this week`s box office.

I am betting Batman v. Superman continues to break records!

because march has not traditionally been a tentpole release month, it's kinda hunting a baited field on these "records." not sure what the record is for second weekends in march, but it's probably not a huge number.

i do hope it continues to kick box office butt, as i want to see more and more and MORE comic flicks made down the road from the d.c. canon.

I predict the only thing that will save it from a 70% plus drop-off this weekend is the severe lack of completion -- it's smooth sailing this week and next before it gets stomped by The Jungle Book.

I predict the only thing that will save it from a 70% plus drop-off this weekend is the severe lack of completion -- it's smooth sailing this week and next before it gets stomped by The Jungle Book.

I have zero interest in The Jungle Book.

Who is the film aimed at?

I showed my 9 yr old Nephew the trailer and he doesn't want to see it either.

We shall see this weekend if the critics bias will have any affect on this week`s box office.

so if it does poorly you're going to blame the critics?

Im thinking about a 65% drop this weekend vs last weekends $166m, so between $58 and $60m this weekend.

Man of Steel had a similar drop in it's second weekend, and that was during the busier summer movie period.

MoS had a higher critical rating, but it didnt have Batman to help it out...

Age of Ultron had a slightly better drop off in it's second weekend (59.4%) and had it's own critical pannings, but had the Marvel house working for it.

Man of Steel's weekly drop-off rate was not 65%. That is its weekend-to-weekend drop-off rate. Though it definitely had the worst drop-off rates of the modern DCU from week 3 through 7.

OkA2BWT.jpg

Box Office Mojo has noted its predictions based on a few factors.

All that said, the picture still hasn't gotten definitively clearer. If you focus on all comparable openings ($130-175m), summer release or not, you could be looking at a drop ranging from 52.5% (The Dark Knight) to 72% (Deathly Hallows 2). Narrow your view to films opening in March and April and you arrive at an average drop of about 55%, with a high of 61.6% (The Hunger Games). For all live action films that opened between $150-175 million you arrive an average second weekend drop of 60%. While 46% is way too low and 72% seems far too high, a range of 58-68% seems a safe bet (don't forget about the $27.7 MM in Thursday previews that inflated the film's opening) for a second weekend anywhere from $53-$69.7 million.

Man of Steel's weekly drop-off rate was not 65%. That is its weekend-to-weekend drop-off rate.

right... that's why I talked about the two movies as weekend vs weekend. Nevery said weekly.

Im thinking about a 65% drop this weekend vs last weekends $166m, so between $58 and $60m this weekend.

Man of Steel had a similar drop in it's second weekend, and that was during the busier summer movie period.

Man of Steel's weekly drop-off rate was not 65%. That is its weekend-to-weekend drop-off rate.

right... that's why I talked about the two movies as weekend vs weekend. Nevery said weekly.

'Nevery' - as in 'Nevery Flinglas' from The Magic Thief? How dare you call me an old wizard.

:baiting:

Trying to compare results from opening weekend to a follow-on weekend could be tricky business. Especially when you have these films that come with such a large front-loaded market. Makes for overly sensitive second weekend drops, and calls for 'See - I told you the world was coming to an end!'

But it will be interesting nonetheless to see what Monday brings.

It's made approx. $43 Million through Thursday so you really think it will only do another 15-17 million Friday through Sunday??

It's made approx. $43 Million through Thursday so you really think it will only do another 15-17 million Friday through Sunday??

Who said 15-17 million?

I literally said "between $58m and $60m this weekend"

also known as 35% of $166m

$166,000,000 x 0.35 = $58,100,000

some of why it could have a poor weekend over weekend drop is that it's Spring Break through various parts of the US so there's some travel going on, and some of those kids who like to fill the theater on the weekends will go during the week this week (also part of why it's week day numbers have been strong this week)

Only if it doesn`t do it`s expected one billion box office.

If it doesn`t do it`s one billion, than the critic`s bias had an affect.

Only if it doesn`t do it`s expected one billion box office.

If it doesn`t do it`s one billion, than the critic`s bias had an affect.

isn't this type of thing nearly impossible to know? And yet you're presenting these theories as fact. I'm not saying you're alone, there's a lot of very irresponsible reporting/blogging out there.

Right now it sounds like you think this movie is somehow 'overcoming' the critical reviews (and associated liberal PC Police Marvel conspiracy), and maybe that's true. But isn't it reasonably possible that with significantly better reviews that the movie would be doing significantly better? That the reviews ARE (or will) damage current and future box office receipts? but its nearly impossible to know by how much.

Note again, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that when you sound so sure, it actually hurts your arguments to those who are doing more critical thinking.

Then again, maybe I've got it wrong and you have a PHD in marketing statistics at minimum from a non-directional state school (shots fired!), and you've run the forecasting models and done polls of people who HAVEN'T SEEN the movies or polls of people who otherwise would have seen it twice but haven't to find out why.

No one is saying you or anyone else should or shouldn't enjoy the movie and share your OPINIONS. I mostly enjoyed it and would generally recommend it. But while you think you're cheerleading and being positive about something you enjoyed, you're actually drawing conclusions where none can be reasonably drawn, and it's hurting your persuasiveness and the persuasiveness of others who also share your enthusiasm for the movie.

For example: Charles barkley spent last year saying the Warriors couldn't win the NBA championships because they were just jump shooters and steph curry was too skinny. Obviously they won. How much impact if any did that Barkley Criticism affect the Warriors? Did it make them play harder some games, did it get in their head for others? How could you possibly quantify it? If they didn't win it all, would it have been because they got rattled by critics? How would you possibly know? And there's only 12-15 guys on an NBA team.

And its not any easier to assess the impact for movies. Did some girlfriends/wives stay away, did some passionate fans see it extra times to try to stick it to critics? How many tickets were pre-bought last weekend? How many people would have watched it regardless of reviews because they felt it was an EVENT?

critical bias :roflmao:

A sequel of sorts to the dreary Man of Steel (also directed by Snyder), Batman v Superman is a soulless step in the wrong direction. Snyder, who made a great graphic novel movie with Watchmen, has just completely lost it as a man capable of putting a cohesive, exciting movie together.