• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantasy bidding on Heritage May auction? (sober edition)

Heritage May Fantasy - GOLD  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Heritage May Fantasy - GOLD

4 posts in this topic

Does everyone know what fantasy bidding is? If so, skip to the poll and please vote; if not, it's where you wager a fantasy bid on an item for auction. You have no limit on what you can bid, so the aim of the game is accuracy in your bid. For example, it would be pointless to bid $1,000,000 for Alpha Flight #1 CGC 9.8, you'd obviously be way off. Likewise it would be a WOT to bid $1. You compete against all other bidders playing in the fantasy bidding tournament (not the actual bidders). The actual hammer price on the item(s) is what determines the fantasy bidding winner. I got this idea from the SA forum discussion about the CBCS SC #4 9.8 restored. Some posters debated what it would sell for and :idea: FWIW, Barret Jackson does something similar on their live TV auctions. You would put in your estimate on what you think the final hammer price would be and the closest person wins a prize.

So basically we would pick a book (or books, or art) that's up for auction, say Superman #1 Incomplete (DC, 1939) CGC PR 0.5 Off-white pages and we would all fantasy bid on it. Let's say it sells for $23,900 and someone fantasy bids $24,000 - they would win if all the other bidders were more than $100 off of that price.

The winning part is also debatable. Maybe a trophy, gift certificate, comic or no prize at all - depends on what is more fun for you. Is bidding boring if you don't get anything for being right other than bragging rights? Maybe not. Although in fairness I think that if a real prize is involved, those playing should not be actual bidders in that auction. Since it's my idea if people want to win an actual prize, I will pony up something at secret santa/work gift level (~$25). Prizes could be bigger based on who contributes above that. There will be no entrance fee of course.

Make sense?

Questions?

If not, please ask or PM me :grin: otherwise, please vote :popcorn: I will let the vote run for a while to get consensus and then start a new thread based on where this heads...

So far it looks like this will happen, and it looks like we should have a potpourri of selections for the competition. /decide whether we want to hand-pick a few GA goodies or select the best from GA, SA and art.

For most it doesn't matter - but those who will only play with one of these options, which sounds better?

1. Hand-picked GA goodies

2. The best from GA, SA and art?