• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

T.O.G.S - '47-'49 Sans Superhero/Timely/DC

70 posts in this topic

Another Mile High book:

Wambi5.jpg

A most apropro book for the thread -- gotta love the animals!

Scrooge - it's pretty obvious that those Bugs books you've posted were influenced by the Barks Duck books of the time - how do the stories hold up?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Are these books that Barks fans should be picking up?

This is a strange one. Classic FIGHT but horror cover but no story inside to equate to even though the cover claims so. It is one of my favorites. Gotta love the overcoated, booted rifle toating werewolf!

fight59.jpg

....remember this guy....

772274-1caspar1.jpg

Boy! That's a nice copy of Caspar, Jon!

I give that Caspar an "A." 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

This is a strange one. Classic FIGHT but horror cover but no story inside to equate to even though the cover claims so. It is one of my favorites. Gotta love the overcoated, booted rifle toating werewolf!

Nice cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree that they should have an interior story to match the cover, but I'm betting there's at least a Baker illustrated story inside.

Just to prove I have a charter membership in the Schomburg fan club, here's a copy I bought in low grade just to have a copy. (I'd love to find an upgrade, though.)

773722-Beatrice5.jpg

773722-Beatrice5.jpg.37a26985e8b1fc794ad0d3ec08144811.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, if tth2 saw it he'd say it's definitely NOT high grade.

I'm with rjpb on this one. Adam you're screwy.gif twice over: first believing this is not HG and second for believing Tim!

Disclaimer: I really don't know Tim but he seems not to mind too much being made fun of + he has really cool books so he must an OK guy. Now if only he could get better scanner.

well, the longer I looked at it, the more defects i saw. it seemed below a fine, although with a pleasing appearance in the mylar or in a scan. if it was fine- or vg/f what would you call it? mid-grade? high, low grade?

I'd buy it if advertised as Fine which you're right would make it mid-grade or high range of low grade officially.

Smithers, bring me my price guide!

(Just kidding. Although if I could find a nicer copy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

When it comes to books of that vintage, I consider anything more than VG mid-grade. It's always hard to judge from a scan, but I see nothing about that Beatrice Fairfax that would make it any less than a fine, which is practically high grade for books in my collection.

When it comes to books of that vintage, I consider anything more than VG mid-grade. It's always hard to judge from a scan, but I see nothing about that Beatrice Fairfax that would make it any less than a fine, which is practically high grade for books in my collection.

I've been collecting a long time so I have a variety of grades in my collection. I do tend to post the nicer stuff, but some of these issues are darn tough to find in high-grade. There may not be many and, as cheap as they are, there's little incentive for anyone to sell them. Not long before I picked this one up, I had purchased several very nice copies of the "Xela" covers, and I thought it was cool that there was this whole mini-run that Schomburg did in a romance title -- even to the point of signing his real name.

(shrug)

Well, if tth2 saw it he'd say it's definitely NOT high grade.

This is true. It's definitely beneath you to own this, Adam, so why don't you send it to me so I can shred this unworthy copy!

I'm with rjpb on this one. Adam you're screwy.gif twice over: first believing this is not HG and second for believing Tim!

Disclaimer: I really don't know Tim but he seems not to mind too much being made fun of + he has really cool books so he must an OK guy. Now if only he could get better scanner.

Oh, I definitely mind being made fun of. I've been keeping a list of all slights, and rest assured I will have my revenge on each and every one of you! Bwah-ha-ha! Be afraid, be very afraid!

And yes, I know I need a better scanner. sorry.gif