• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

T.O.G.S - '47-'49 Sans Superhero/Timely/DC

70 posts in this topic

(shrug)

Well, if tth2 saw it he'd say it's definitely NOT high grade.

This is true. It's definitely beneath you to own this, Adam, so why don't you send it to me so I can shred this unworthy copy!

That actually happened to a friend of mine who was selling a few books from a small corner of a booth. A dealer, whom we'll call "verdantcorridor", walked by and said "This is what I can do with books like this", and then ripped a high-grade, late SA book in half. The dealer paid for it and left -- after getting an earful. He did come by later to apologize.

(shrug)

This is true. It's definitely beneath you to own this, Adam, so why don't you send it to me so I can shred this unworthy copy!

That actually happened to a friend of mine who was selling a few books from a small corner of a booth. A dealer, whom we'll call "verdantcorridor", walked by and said "This is what I can do with books like this", and then ripped a high-grade, late SA book in half. The dealer paid for it and left -- after getting an earful. He did come by later to apologize.

If memory serves, sounds like a story told by Steve Borock on these boards, and I think Fischler was his partner in crime. In their story, I think it was a modern or relatively cheap book.

Personally, I think for all the people who complain that there are too many copies of late SA books, the only sensible solution is to start buying them up and destroying them. confused-smiley-013.gif CGC could start a destruction certification business, and create a census of how many copies destroyed for each issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

(shrug)

If memory serves, sounds like a story told by Steve Borock on these boards, and I think Fischler was his partner in crime. In their story, I think it was a modern or relatively cheap book.

Personally, I think for all the people who complain that there are too many copies of late SA books, the only sensible solution is to start buying them up and destroying them. confused-smiley-013.gif CGC could start a destruction certification business, and create a census of how many copies destroyed for each issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

I was watching. It was a HG late Silver.

(shrug)

I was watching. It was a HG late Silver.

893whatthe.gifYou DO see all!

Where in the world does "verdantcorridor" come from? 27_laughing.gif I can't figure out any connection to the names of the real parties.

I get around.

There are many stories surrounding Fishler, so the one related by Borock may be a different one. Also, I know of another story about the ripping up of a comic (different situation/motivation) told about a different dealer who's no longer in the comic biz.

The book was not expensive at the time. In the interest of historians everywhere, I will check with the injured party so that it can accurately reported.

I get around.

There are many stories surrounding Fishler, so the one related by Borock may be a different one. Also, I know of another story about the ripping up of a comic (different situation/motivation) told about a different dealer who's no longer in the comic biz.

The book was not expensive at the time. In the interest of historians everywhere, I will check with the injured party so that it can accurately reported.

The scoop. I couldn't remember Fishler being involved and he was not. So if there's a ripping story involving Fishler, this is not that one.

The book in question was a Shadow 4 in NM for $6. I was thinking Kubert Star Spangled, when it was Kaluta, Shadow. The rippee was pissed as it was smoking copy. Besides, Kaluta's work on the Shadow is a 70s high point -- it did not deserve the treatment it got, even if it was cheap back then.

The ripper did apologize and the rippee bears no ill will.

I get around.

The scoop. I couldn't remember Fishler being involved and he was not. So if there's a ripping story involving Fishler, this is not that one.

The book in question was a Shadow 4 in NM for $6. I was thinking Kubert Star Spangled, when it was Kaluta, Shadow. The rippee was pissed as it was smoking copy. Besides, Kaluta's work on the Shadow is a 70s high point -- it did not deserve the treatment it got, even if it was cheap back then.

The ripper did apologize and the rippee bears no ill will.

Sounds like this ripping of comics is old hat now. tongue.gif I think the Borock/Fishler incident must have been a different one, as I think Borock was one of the rippers.

Don't know what the rippee was upset about, once the ripper had paid his asking price, the ripper was free to do with it as he chose, no matter how sacreligious it might be. Where's that great pic of Krusty lighting a cigarette with an Action #1 when we need it?

RE: Rippee being upset

I don't want to belabor this, but since I'm being cross-examined...

1. Comic dealer was acting like a bigshot trying to show he could do anything to a little guy's comics

2. Comic was not paid for prior to being ripped (it was paid for afterward)

3. Rippee (and I agree) didn't take kindly to the disparaging of any comic, much less a Kaluta Shadow, much less taking a comic completely out of circulation. (You can do what you have the right to do, and still be a son of b*[#@$%!!!] -- as a I was once told.)

4. Ripper didn't know Rippee well and didn't act like it was a joke during said incident.

I think this is a great story, but, honestly, I find it more interesting than funny.

oh, when you're REALLY being cross-examined by me, you'll know! yeahok.gif

Definitely not cool that this was done BEFORE the book was purchased. I STILL like the picture of Krusty lighting up using an Action #1, though.

RE: Rippee being upset

I don't want to belabor this, but since I'm being cross-examined...

1. Comic dealer was acting like a bigshot trying to show he could do anything to a little guy's comics

2. Comic was not paid for prior to being ripped (it was paid for afterward)

3. Rippee (and I agree) didn't take kindly to the disparaging of any comic, much less a Kaluta Shadow, much less taking a comic completely out of circulation. (You can do what you have the right to do, and still be a son of b*[#@$%!!!] -- as a I was once told.)

4. Ripper didn't know Rippee well and didn't act like it was a joke during said incident.

I think this is a great story, but, honestly, I find it more interesting than funny.

The Rippee should have let the Ripper know there was 200% " tax" on top of the asking price.