• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it the 1990s?

55 posts in this topic

Yes, the 1990s are back: :popcorn:

1. Rob :wishluck: Liefeld New Mutants #86, 87, 98, 100, X-force #1, 2 hot

2. Lobo hot

3. Tick gaining momentum thanks to live action Amazon tv show in production.

4. Death of Superman #75 on big screen.

5. Dark Knight vol. 1 #4 battle on the movie screens.

6. Age of Apocalypse seems to be a hot topic (in CG at least)

7. There is a Clinton running for President. (Not meant to be a political discussion, just a coincidental observation)

There's been a Clinton or a Bush somewhere in the mix in every election (bar one) since 1980. That's not a sign of the 90s...

Yes, the 1990s are back: :popcorn:

1. Rob :wishluck: Liefeld New Mutants #86, 87, 98, 100, X-force #1, 2 hot

2. Lobo hot

3. Tick gaining momentum thanks to live action Amazon tv show in production.

4. Death of Superman #75 on big screen.

5. Dark Knight vol. 1 #4 battle on the movie screens.

6. Age of Apocalypse seems to be a hot topic (in CG at least)

7. There is a Clinton running for President. (Not meant to be a political discussion, just a coincidental observation)

There's been a Clinton or a Bush somewhere in the mix in every election (bar one) since 1980. That's not a sign of the 90s...

'Murikah!

It's sure looking like the 1990's.

My Star Wars #1...CGC 9.8, signed by Chaykin, white pages, the works...just sold for $861....a low price not achieved in well over a year.

Three minutes earlier, another copy, this one NOT signed, but otherwise pretty much identical....sold for $1325.

$464 LESS for the signed copy. If you don't think that screams incredible market instability, you don't know what you're doing.

lol

You people paying these crazy prices are SCREWED if you think you're going to make your money back.

lol

:roflmao:

The only thing that screams is that putting books up on eBay is far from the ideal way to sell them, via auction style.

eBay is good for selling via BIN.

Even then, most of the time, you have to be very patient

It sucks for auctions now for about a 101 reasons....there is too much on there for a buyer to wade through...buyers know that a lot of auctions get shilled, generally speaking......almost everyone waits til the last minute to bid on books anymore......so eBay auction results drive down prices on books....that, if you had waited long enough....would sell at the price you wanted via BIN.

If there were TWO SW 1 CGC 9.8's running in auction at the same time, that means both sellers are competing for the same buyers.

If this were the 90's, and you had put up a book for 7 day auction on eBay that was worth $1300-$2000....., you'd get anywhere from $1300-$2000.

There would not be 2+ copies floating elsewhere on eBay.Or anywhere else, for that matter.

The way that Zurzulo runs ComicConnect's auctions is infinitely better

If a bid is placed in the last 3 minutes, the auction is extended another three minutes.That removes the sub 5 second snipers from the equation, almost entirely.

And you get the name recognition that Zurzulo has, when you send in your books...like the one you just sold,on ebay..... to CC.

eBay has its place for selling, but its' place is limited

Comic Connect, ComicLink and Heritage = better payoffs for higher end books.

My Star Wars #1...CGC 9.8, signed by Chaykin, white pages, the works...just sold for $861....a low price not achieved in well over a year.

Three minutes earlier, another copy, this one NOT signed, but otherwise pretty much identical....sold for $1325.

$464 LESS for the signed copy. If you don't think that screams incredible market instability, you don't know what you're doing.

lol

You people paying these crazy prices are SCREWED if you think you're going to make your money back.

lol

The only thing that screams is that putting books up on eBay is far from the ideal way to sell them, via auction style.

It sucks for auctions now for about a 101 reasons....there is too much on there for a buyer to wade through...buyers know that a lot of auctions get shilled, generally speaking......almost everyone waits til the last minute to bid on books anymore......so eBay auction results drive down prices on books....that, if you had waited long enough....would sell at the price you wanted via BIN.

If there were TWO SW 1 CGC 9.8's running in auction at the same time, that means both sellers are competing for the same buyers.

If this were the 90's, and you had put up a book for 7 day auction on eBay that was worth $1300-$2000....., you'd get anywhere from $1300-$2000.

There would not be 2+ copies floating elsewhere on eBay.Or anywhere else, for that matter.

If a bid is placed in the last 3 minutes, the auction is extended another three minutes.That removes the sub 5 second snipers from the equation, almost entirely.

And you get the name recognition that Zurzulo has, when you send in your books...like the one you just sold,on ebay..... to CC.

I've been CAK'd. Much of this is inaccurate.

meh

lol

lol

meh

Haha, well played.

You have been CAK'd.

Not by this CAK, mind you...you've been CAK'd by eBay.Or maybe CAKBLOCKED by eBay is a better fitting analogy.

As far as inaccuracies, the only thing I was unsure of is wether or not the CGC 9.8 $1325 sale, right before yours, was a BIN or auction.

Either way, odds are that if you had auctioned the book off on CC,CL or Heritage, you wouldn't have been CAKblocked out of $400+ in profits.

Granted, a Chaykin sig isn't going to have the beneficial effect that another sig would. (as Dale Roberts pointed out).

Either way, I am sorry that you got a lower price on this book, than you should have.

lol

lol

First

meh

Haha, well played.

You have been CAK'd.

Not by this CAK, mind you...you've been CAK'd by eBay.Or maybe CAKBLOCKED by eBay is a better fitting analogy.

As far as inaccuracies, the only thing I was unsure of is wether or not the CGC 9.8 $1325 sale, right before yours, was a BIN or auction.

Either way, odds are that if you had auctioned the book off on CC,CL or Heritage, you wouldn't have been CAKblocked out of $400+ in profits.

Granted, a Chaykin sig isn't going to have the beneficial effect that another sig would. (as Dale Roberts pointed out).

Either way, I am sorry that you got a lower price on this book, than you should have.

As I said, much of what you said is inaccurate.

First, the books weren't identical. One was a Universal, the other SS. Those are different types of books, with different types of buyers...buyers that overlap, but different pools nonetheless.

Second, you can do just fine with many books auction style. You are not correct when you say that "eBay is far from the ideal way to sell them, via auction style." In fact, it is the only way you can have the CHANCE to sell for more than you thought it was worth. The problem isn't auctions...the problem is the state of the market.

Third, some people can't wait 37 years for a BIN to be hit. Obviously...quite obviously...the market for many books isn't there. BINs are skewing the reality of the market. "In the 90's", there wasn't any such thing as a BIN; it was ONLY auctions. And while prices were a lot lower, they were also a lot more stable.

Fourth, CC, CL, and Heritage charge considerably more, and Heritage can OFTEN get considerably less. CC, CL, and Heritage aren't the market for high grade SS books. You have no idea what such a book would have sold for there. Plus, you wait a lonnnggg time for your money from all three. Plus, I have to pay more to send books to third parties, when I am perfectly capable of doing it (and have done it for nearly 20 years) myself. No thanks.

CAK: talk less, read more.

lol

lol

First

meh

Haha, well played.

You have been CAK'd.

First, the books weren't identical. One was a Universal, the other SS. Those are different types of books, with different types of buyers...buyers that overlap, but different pools nonetheless.

Second, you can do just fine with many books auction style. You are not correct when you say that "eBay is far from the ideal way to sell them, via auction style." In fact, it is the only way you can have the CHANCE to sell for more than you thought it was worth. The problem isn't auctions...the problem is the state of the market.

Third, some people can't wait 37 years for a BIN to be hit. Obviously...quite obviously...the market for many books isn't there. BINs are skewing the reality of the market. "In the 90's", there wasn't any such thing as a BIN; it was ONLY auctions. And while prices were a lot lower, they were also a lot more stable.

Fourth, CC, CL, and Heritage charge considerably more, and Heritage can OFTEN get considerably less. CC, CL, and Heritage aren't the market for high grade SS books. You have no idea what such a book would have sold for there. Plus, you wait a lonnnggg time for your money from all three. Plus, I have to pay more to send books to third parties, when I am perfectly capable of doing it (and have done it for nearly 20 years) myself. No thanks.

Excellent rebuttal, my good man.

I shall reply to your points, on a point by point basis....when it is not 3AM in the morning, on my end.

lol

lol

First

meh

Haha, well played.

You have been CAK'd.

Excellent rebuttal, my good man.

I shall reply to your points, on a point by point basis....when it is not 3AM in the morning, on my end.

Can't wait.

History really does repeat itself... Is all of this a sign that we're in another comic book bubble?

The two bubbles are vastly different.

Really it`s not even close.

The comic book sales of the early 1990s were phenomenal. We will never see those all around average sales again.

The bubble we are really having is a comic book movie/tv bubble.

Giving comic book heroes a second life by introducing them to millions of new fans.

What future affect this will have on the comic book hobby who knows?

One thing this comic book movie/TV bubble is much better for the comic book industry as it has exposed the comic book characters to many many new fans,while the 1990s bubble was mostly based on greed with buying multiple copies and special covers to flip.

Another thing to look out for the comic book movie/tv bubble has now caught up with comic books of the 1990s.

Examples they did just movies on Deadpool, The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman.

If I remember correctly not many big events have happened in comics since 1996 with the exception of The Walking Dead and Civil War.

All the big stories have been done now in comic book movies.

So it should be interesting on to what the future comic book movies will be based on.

History really does repeat itself... Is all of this a sign that we're in another comic book bubble?

One thing this comic book movie/TV bubble is much better for the comic book industry as it has exposed the comic book characters to many many new fans,while the 1990s bubble was mostly based on greed with buying multiple copies and special covers to flip.

Great point!

Another thing to look out for the comic book movie/tv bubble has now caught up with comic books of the 1990s.

Examples they did just movies on Deadpool, The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman.

If I remember correctly not many big events have happened in comics since 1996 with the exception of The Walking Dead and Civil War.

All the big stories have been done now in comic book movies.

So it should be interesting on to what the future comic book movies will be based on.

There's still GA/SA stories that they could tell, let alone what they've done from the 80s. Very exciting time to be in comics.

On another note, would movie speculation also be greed and involve buying up multiple copies? I have yet to meet the fan who loved the Deadpool movie, went out and bought his 1st app (or any others for that matter) - most I see buying stuff off the shelf or graphic novels.

While there may not have been a lot of epic universe-encompassing stories since 1996, a few come to mind:

Secret War

Infinite Crisis

Daredevil "Out" and its aftermath

Planet Hulk / WW Hulk

Batman: No Man's Land

And don't forget that a lot of Mark Millar's post-1996 stories have been turned into films as well -- not they have to be "world-spanning" or huge per se:

Wanted

Old Man Logan

Kingsman

Kick-

Ultimate FF

While there may not have been a lot of epic universe-encompassing stories since 1996, a few come to mind:

Secret War

Infinite Crisis

Daredevil "Out" and its aftermath

Planet Hulk / WW Hulk

Batman: No Man's Land

And don't forget that a lot of Mark Millar's post-1996 stories have been turned into films as well -- not they have to be "world-spanning" or huge per se:

Wanted

Old Man Logan

Kingsman

Kick-

Ultimate FF

Was Ultimate FF used as the source material for the latest movie?