• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange question about Stan Goldberg OA

3 posts in this topic

My Urologist used to friends with Stan G., and Mr G made him several custom pieces of art.

I have not seen them but as he describes them they are mostly about 12X18 B&W inked drawings using Archie characters with him in it. One panel gags. For his 60th birthday, he made him what is described as a huge piece, maybe five feet long by four feet on styrofoam with my Dr and his partners as Archie characters, and likeness's of many tv Doctors- Hawkeye, Dr Kildare, Marcus Welby, ect,ect.. While he,at present, has no interest in selling them, he is getting on in years and was wondering if these were something he should get insured.

I said I would ask here, so I am. I'd imagine a piece like that must be worth decent money, but it is so personalized i'm not sure.

In my opinion, Stan Goldberg original published artwork is generally not highly valued, mainly due to the lack of high dollar interest in the humor category, so if it's a custom and personal piece with unknown characters mixed in and is personalized, 'tho is huge (which to some degree a 5' x 4' is a dealbreaker in that it's too big to store), I'd speculate it's not worth insuring nor is an inheritance goldmine an heir would get a windfall selling. It's probably best as a family heirloom since it would have sentimental value, which is priceless.

Without seeing the piece it's hard to give a valuation, but the 12" x 18" pieces, and knowing his Millie the Model published pin-ups go for $200 or so, I'd probably speculate those are worth $100-200 at best, and the larger piece maybe up to $500, would be my guess.

You can track a lot of the Stan Goldberg published art here on a ComicLink auction ending in 3 days to sort of substantiate speculative values to the pieces: http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/allsub.asp?Focused=1&id=1398&Artist=STAN%20GOLDBERG

My father is a huge Archie fan, so I like picking up pages for him for gifts (i.e. birthday, father's day etc.) His office in the house is covered in it (not just Stan, but Archie art in general) I don't generally see published Archie pages from Stan going for more than $500 or so (per page). I doubt something so highly specialized (i.e. it's him, his patients, etc) is going to go for more than that. So the question I have is, how much of the work does he have (maybe if he has 20+ pages/items, that might be enough to want to add to an insurance rider)