• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Panther #1 of new series sells 300,000 copies???

153 posts in this topic

Always interested to hear these theories about outside talents bringing in new readers, but I dunno.

Mieville is pretty well read, people into his genre wouldn't be scared off or misidentify the comic book medium as low brow, and still the New 52 Dial H didn't do well. And it was actually an interesting book.

I know every instance is different, but....

This is definitely different than a fantasy writer coming into comics and writing a property that no one cares about.

People compare Ta Nehisi Coates to James Baldwin. His last book was an Economist book of the year. He holds a unique place in American intellectual discourse.

And the dude is writing Black Panther.

I wouldn't exactly say many care about Black Panther either - they obviously care more about the writer than the character if this phenomenon is an actual thing, which is why Mieville was a suitable example. Not that Black Panther isn't massively more known than Dial H, but simply in the context of neither of them being even C-listers.

I've read both Coates and Mieville, and at this point in time, I don't view Coates as particularly important... certainly not in the sort of historical context he's being mentioned in. He is certainly up and coming, but the James Baldwin comparisons, at this stage, are a bit ridiculous.

I think it's cool that he's writing comics, and I hope he continues to be a prominent up and coming figure.

Black Panther isn't even a C-lister?

It's obviously subjective, but I wouldn't say so personally. On a good day I might put him in the C ranks but that in itself is saying something.

I can't imagine anyone having a reasonable explanation for bumping him up even higher :shrug:

Always interested to hear these theories about outside talents bringing in new readers, but I dunno.

Mieville is pretty well read, people into his genre wouldn't be scared off or misidentify the comic book medium as low brow, and still the New 52 Dial H didn't do well. And it was actually an interesting book.

I know every instance is different, but....

This is definitely different than a fantasy writer coming into comics and writing a property that no one cares about.

People compare Ta Nehisi Coates to James Baldwin. His last book was an Economist book of the year. He holds a unique place in American intellectual discourse.

And the dude is writing Black Panther.

I wouldn't exactly say many care about Black Panther either - they obviously care more about the writer than the character if this phenomenon is an actual thing, which is why Mieville was a suitable example. Not that Black Panther isn't massively more known than Dial H, but simply in the context of neither of them being even C-listers.

I've read both Coates and Mieville, and at this point in time, I don't view Coates as particularly important... certainly not in the sort of historical context he's being mentioned in. He is certainly up and coming, but the James Baldwin comparisons, at this stage, are a bit ridiculous.

I think it's cool that he's writing comics, and I hope he continues to be a prominent up and coming figure.

Black Panther isn't even a C-lister?

*shrug*

Always thought he was best in a supporting role.

My shop has a few hundred subscribers.

Pre-orders on this are through the roof.

The fans want this.

It will be interesting to see how long the title will last.

The Priest written stuff (Vol 3) was pretty good I thought. Lasted 60 issues or so. If the new one can last that long, I'd say that Marvel would be pretty happy.

The Crew didn't even last a year.

The Priest written stuff (Vol 3) was pretty good I thought. Lasted 60 issues or so. If the new one can last that long, I'd say that Marvel would be pretty happy.

I think it's because he's in Civil War movie.

Anyway Marvel also offered a nice discount for big orders, that's probably why 300,000

( 11 covers plus retailer exclusives )

I miss the Kirby stories with the weird sci fi and Jungle Mysticism. Slanting the book so strongly political makes me pretty uninterested. Did anyone other then Kirby write books with Panther in his style?

It's obviously subjective, but I wouldn't say so personally. On a good day I might put him in the C ranks but that in itself is saying something.

I can't imagine anyone having a reasonable explanation for bumping him up even higher :shrug:

measure a characters tier by what role they are given with in groups (follower or leader), and who they can fight.

Best measure of perceived, A, B, C tier-ness imo

It's why you can have a Captain America fight Hulk for a bit before losing (both A) when in reality it would be over before it starts.

Black Panther is high B, low A tier. Foisted there a bit over the years via being one of the few powerful black characters outside of the x-men.

With Civil War coming out, he is now perma A list.

Anyway Marvel also offered a nice discount for big orders, that's probably why 300,000

the 90s Part Deux marches on

measure a characters tier by what role they are given with in groups (follower or leader), and who they can fight.

It's why you can have a Captain America fight Hulk for a bit before losing (both A) when in reality it would be over before it starts.

Black Panther is high B, low A tier. Foisted there a bit over the years via being one of the few powerful black characters outside of the x-men.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all, but to each their own. Having thought about it some more, he's a C-lister in my book and the movie doesn't immediately change that. Nothing will but time.

It is hard to imagine the collecting community absorbing 300,000 copies of a Black Panther book when even the popular heroes cannot sell 100,000 copies.

I think the variants and exclusive will make the difference. I believe there is a Loot Crate involved and that is going to account for 100,000 - 150,000 of these copies.

Of course that's the reason.

It is hard to imagine the collecting community absorbing 300,000 copies of a Black Panther book when even the popular heroes cannot sell 100,000 copies.

I think the variants and exclusive will make the difference. I believe there is a Loot Crate involved and that is going to account for 100,000 - 150,000 of these copies.

Couple pages back:

Last night my shop owner was on the phone with his Diamond representative, and they confirmed that this is all retailer orders, and not from a box. There was no doubling orders for incentive.

Couple pages back:

Last night my shop owner was on the phone with his Diamond representative, and they confirmed that this is all retailer orders, and not from a box. There was no doubling orders for incentive.

Diamond will never, EVER.

Disclose in any way what other accounts may or may not have ordered.

That is an outright fabrication.

Ok: Liar Liar pants on fire!

Doesn't make any sense to me at all, but to each their own. Having thought about it some more, he's a C-lister in my book and the movie doesn't immediately change that. Nothing will but time.

A great new writer and story could re-define the character. I think he is at least a B !

A great new writer and story could re-define the character. I think he is at least a B !

I agree, a great writer and a great run on a series could raise him to a B. I don't believe he's there now - name a great Black Panther series run? :shrug:

All of his best times come as a supporting character, and most of those are far, far in the past.

I hope this book works out, I'd like to see a shake up in the power structure of big shot characters, but I wouldn't count on it.

I agree, a great writer and a great run on a series could raise him to a B. I don't believe he's there now - name a great Black Panther series run? :shrug:

All of his best times come as a supporting character, and most of those are far, far in the past.

I hope this book works out, I'd like to see a shake up in the power structure of big shot characters, but I wouldn't count on it.

Panther's Quest?