• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Panther #1 of new series sells 300,000 copies???

153 posts in this topic

I'd never heard of it, had to Google it.

Anyway, I guess my final point is, if you think Black Panther is a B+ lister, then I hope he blows up big in the movie, because otherwise, you're not going to be getting a whole lot of him.... just like it has been over the last fifty years.

Black Panther reminds me of Adam Warlock. Both are great characters in certain settings but neither has staying power as a solo star. Warlock in Ininity Gauntlet really stands out to me and there are certain Fantastic Four and Avengers books in which Black Panther and Warlock really make the story.

Warlock always seemed the more important character ( one of my personal favorites ) because the space sci-fi angles always seemed more epic. I can however, see why someone would view Black Panther as the bigger character, especially readers who just got into comics in the last 25 years or so. Black Panther has had more and longer running series relatively speaking.

I see Warlock as a B to B+ character. He just doesn't carry his own book well but he has been a major player in one of Marvel's biggest stories.

Black Panther would be more B- to me. Great supporting character but less so with the Fantastic Four being relegated to Marvel's bench instead of being their star players. The one thing that might pull Black Panther up to a higher tier is that people reflections of themselves in their heroes...at least I think we do. There is almost nothing not to like about Black Panther. He is a person almost anyone would aspire to be imo.

Warlock ? Cool character, limited upside, and a little hard to relate to on a personal level.

Black Panther ? All of the growth potential in the world. Heavy movie exposure could make him an A tier character.

Look at Deadpool. I would never have imagined his growth potential bug there is no doubt that he is now an A to A+ level character 2c

Black Panther reminds me of Adam Warlock. Both are great characters in certain settings but neither has staying power as a solo star. Warlock in Ininity Gauntlet really stands out to me and there are certain Fantastic Four and Avengers books in which Black Panther and Warlock really make the story.

Warlock always seemed the more important character ( one of my personal favorites ) because the space sci-fi angles always seemed more epic. I can however, see why someone would view Black Panther as the bigger character, especially readers who just got into comics in the last 25 years or so. Black Panther has had more and longer running series relatively speaking.

I see Warlock as a B to B+ character. He just doesn't carry his own book well but he has been a major player in one of Marvel's biggest stories.

Black Panther would be more B- to me. Great supporting character but less so with the Fantastic Four being relegated to Marvel's bench instead of being their star players. The one thing that might pull Black Panther up to a higher tier is that people reflections of themselves in their heroes...at least I think we do. There is almost nothing not to like about Black Panther. He is a person almost anyone would aspire to be imo.

Warlock ? Cool character, limited upside, and a little hard to relate to on a personal level.

Black Panther ? All of the growth potential in the world. Heavy movie exposure could make him an A tier character.

Look at Deadpool. I would never have imagined his growth potential bug there is no doubt that he is now an A to A+ level character 2c

I mostly agree with you - almost everywhere in fact. I love Warlock as well and I would still only rate him as a C-lister even though it pains me to do so. In my book he remains a C even though he's had a pretty famous Starlin run, without which, we probably wouldn't know HIM at all. Maybe it's my own ignorance, but I just don't think an equivalent high profile run for Black Panther yet exists, certainly not where he was one of the main players or the top dog.

Could that run be starting up with this new #1? Absolutely! This could be the beginning of his moment, and honestly, boy is it overdue. I'd like to see it happen, I want it to happen... but it hasn't happened yet. We seem to rush to coronate characters or books on here before they've earned their due, and I think this may be one of those instances. All signs point towards positive things, but it hasn't happened yet.

Where I somewhat disagree... Deadpool growth potential? People have talked pretty consistently about him being due for years, but many of us ignored it.

Now Harley Quinn on the other hand.... We all have our blind spots I guess.

Adam Warlock is a great character when handled properly. JUST LIKE VIRTUALLY EVERY OTHER CHARACTER. It all depends on the writing and the art. The idea of the character is amazing. If Jim Starlin wrote Warlock all the time, it would be fantastic. You put a crappy writer on Deadpool and the character would lose popularity. Its just the way of comics.

Warlock is one of my all-time favorite characters thanks to Starlin's writing on the short lived series, I've yet to read a Black Panther story which made me think as much as that Warlock run (and his CM stint). The more you understand schizophrenia, the more you understand Adam Warlock. He's very easy to relate to if you've had a rough life IMO

Gamestop has a Black Panther Power Up Rewards variant, with cover at by Dale Keown, listed in their rewards catalog. Print run of 5000 copies.

How many points? 5,000 copies is a lot for a store variant. The Spider-Man / Deadpool did well, I suspect because it took a lot of points to get it. They still printed 3,000 of them.

I've read both Coates and Mieville, and at this point in time, I don't view Coates as particularly important... certainly not in the sort of historical context he's being mentioned in. He is certainly up and coming, but the James Baldwin comparisons, at this stage, are a bit ridiculous.

FWIW, I agree that comparisons to James Baldwin are a little crazy at this point.

That said, this COMIC BOOK had a lengthy front page review in the Boston Globe today. That's different.

Gamestop has a Black Panther Power Up Rewards variant, with cover at by Dale Keown, listed in their rewards catalog. Print run of 5000 copies.

How many points? 5,000 copies is a lot for a store variant. The Spider-Man / Deadpool did well, I suspect because it took a lot of points to get it. They still printed 3,000 of them.

Looks like 6,500 points.

Looks like 6,500 points.

Wow, spensssive. If you did their best deal you would need to have spent roughly $300 on games to get enough points.

If the cover is any good it will be sought after.

front page of the Boston Globe has the phone ringing all day...

This one's got legs

I still see a future where these things are clogging up quarter bin boxes unless there is a giant loot crate order in the works... in which case they'll be clogging up eBay for months as no one buys them.

front page of the Boston Globe has the phone ringing all day...

This one's got legs

I think you mean "MARVEL wants it to have legs".

No, it means fans are interested in it.

Day one: It's drawing a crowd.

That's all.

Go back to taunting each other now.

Anyone actually read it yet?

.......it's not very good. :(

batman v superman not very good?

or

odds of winning the presidency not very good?

or

m

lol Now that's funny.

It's not that it's bad, it's just not very good. Lackluster start considering the hype.

or

m

lol Now that's funny.

It's not that it's bad, it's just not very good. Lackluster start considering the hype.

I haven't read it yet, but when I read the article covering the content I could literally hear the pulls being dropped.