• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Reclaimed Import Duty/Tax After Using eBays GSP? - Update, I did :)

26 posts in this topic

Wow. Great news for us in the UK

Having to jump through many hoops to recoup charges that never should've been levied in the first place and then being told that this is a one-off refund is scarcely great news, but well done to the OP for setting what should be a precedent (but inevitably won't be).

HMRC have been helpful in providing information to me. They don't agree with Pitney Bowes' methods. They are also unable to help me reclaim any tax, because even though I have paid the tax to Pitney Bowes, there is no proof that Pitney Bowes actually paid the tax themselves, the fact the item in question is tax exempt doesn't help either.

Well done on going one stage further than any other Brit has managed - I've got in touch with customs and excise regarding this, but never got anywhere.

What I don't understand regarding HMRC's attitude to Pitney Bowes is that if they disagree with their methods, why don't they take action? They are bound to be losing revenue on items that do attract VAT and duty. Surely HMRC should investigate PB's charges, which cannot be levied until the package enters the destination country, and not before.

And as for the second sentence, Pitney Bowes make it clear in their very lengthy terms and conditions that they do not pay the tax, but keep all the proceeds as part of their service.

So this should only be an issue if you buy comics listed directly under the collectibles category rather than the collectibles>comics category?

Yes..."should be.' (shrug)

I just had a look at the purchases in question, and they were under 'Books Comics and Magazines' so I am not sure how accurate their reasons are.

Something needs to be done, but I doubt it will be as Pitney must make a fortune from this.

I just had a look at the purchases in question, and they were under 'Books Comics and Magazines' so I am not sure how accurate their reasons are.

Something needs to be done, but I doubt it will be as Pitney must make a fortune from this.

That is the eBay UK category, which is different from eBay U.S.