• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Reclaimed Import Duty/Tax After Using eBays GSP? - Update, I did :)

26 posts in this topic

Hi People,

I am a relatively new to collecting, and am still learning bits all the time. My most recent lesson learnt (thanks bordies), was regarding the fact that comics are not taxable in the UK.

Unfortunately, I have purchased a number of comics from the US using eBays GSP and as such, paid import fees and taxes, I was wondering if anybody else has done this, and have they managed to reclaim the Import Fees and or Tax?

If so, what route did you go down?. I have contacted Pitney Bowes, but have had no response yet. Should I just go straight to HMRC?

Or is this just a lost cause, and I just need to bite the bullet. Its a little irritating knowing I have paid fees which were not required.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated :)

You cannot claim back any money from the GSP. You can only claim back money from UK customs & excise if they incorrectly charge you import duty. Usually if the package is clearly marked 'comic books' or similar then there won't be a problem. Claiming duty back form UK customs is a long and painful process. Also you cannot claim back money from the post office if they charge you for 'holding' the package.

Your beef is with Pitney Bowes not HMRC since the pre-collection they do is based on what they anticipate they'll pay and the bundle it together with all their service charges as "import fees" so you wouldn't have any clear line of sight on VAT paid (or not paid) to approach HMRC for recovery.

Your argument appears solid based on comics being named as zero rated in section 8 of this most recent guidance.

Good luck and update the thread when you get a response.

I haven't looked at the terms and conditions for GSP lately but I'm sure they have already gotten you to agree to pay whatever amount they deem is necessary.

Many US catalog companies supply internationally with a general surcharge even though they pay actual rates at time of import, they just estimate a blended rate slightly above actual costs rather than clutter up catalogs with actual duty rates. I don't know if this is the case for GSP to the UK. (shrug)

It's not unusual to see e-tailers do this, but I would guess GSP has covered their butts by essentially having both seller agree to their terms when listing and buyer agreeing to (or at least acknowledging/paying) the amounts when purchasing.

You could always notify HMRC if you don't get satisfaction, there's a link at the bottom of the earlier reference.

:whistle:

Avoid GSP like the plague. Books in Germany are subject to a 7% VAT yet the GSP magically works out to the normal 20% VAT rate. I refuse to buy a book from anyone who uses the programme.

Avoid GSP like the plague. Books in Germany are subject to a 7% VAT yet the GSP magically works out to the normal 20% VAT rate. I refuse to buy a book from anyone who uses the programme.

Yep, same here. Total scam.

Yep, same here. Total scam.

Add me to the club

Thanks for the info people, I will update the thread with whatever the outcome is. I just wonder how many other comic collectors aren't aware of facts, and are in the same boat as I was.

Maybe I should have investigated a bit more before buying them, but it never really crossed my mind, the ironic thing is, is that I would on occasion choose a GSP item, as I thought at least I know I am covering all the costs.

You live and learn :)

I'm not sure on how many people are already aware of all this, but could this info not be added to the N00B thread? I'm sure there will always be people that are not aware, and it could save buyers a substantial amount of money in the long run, and maybe increase sales for sellers, as buyers are avoiding GSP listings.

Thanks for the info people, I will update the thread with whatever the outcome is. I just wonder how many other comic collectors aren't aware of facts, and are in the same boat as I was.

Maybe I should have investigated a bit more before buying them, but it never really crossed my mind, the ironic thing is, is that I would on occasion choose a GSP item, as I thought at least I know I am covering all the costs.

You live and learn :)

I'm not sure on how many people are already aware of all this, but could this info not be added to the N00B thread? I'm sure there will always be people that are not aware, and it could save buyers a substantial amount of money in the long run, and maybe increase sales for sellers, as buyers are avoiding GSP listings.

I'm sure they would accommodate this request except that I have heard HarveySwick (creator of the thread) say several times that he can no longer edit that post due to edit time being expired.

Ok,well I said I would provide updates, so here they are.

I contacted Pitney Bowes, with a list of the items I had purchased using the GSP, they responded immediately with comments below each item stating whether or not tax and other fees had been charged to me. (Basically its around £12 basic rate for between 1 and 5 comics sent to the UK from the US, anything over that is tax and other fees.)

HMRC have been helpful in providing information to me. They don't agree with Pitney Bowes' methods. They are also unable to help me reclaim any tax, because even though I have paid the tax to Pitney Bowes, there is no proof that Pitney Bowes actually paid the tax themselves, the fact the item in question is tax exempt doesn't help either.

I contacted Pitney Bowes again to try and obtain some more information, but all they provide me with is a link to the GSP terms.

It comes down to how much information Pitney Bowes is willing to provide, and at this time, all they have been willing to provide is whether their charge included tax and other fees or not, they will not provide evidence that they paid the tax or other fees, unfortunately this doesn't help me at all.

I can't see how they can actually be allowed to get away with, its all set up in such away you are unable to anything about it, they must make millions from this, otherwise why not just provide you with the details so that you can reclaim it? It shouldn't affect them at all.

They appear to be fully aware of the items they are shipping, they requested the eBay item number in my initial email, so they know if the items are tax exempt or not, so what's stopping them charging you but not paying any tax, or paying it, but reclaiming it afterwards and just pocketing it?

It's a well known scam. You Should contact watchdog or the press. Only way to end it by putting the media on it. I would have done it myself but have always avoided GSP because of this fact. In fact i did some work for eBay at their head office in the UK and bought this up and they said "we'll look into it" but of course they never do.

It's a well known scam. You Should contact watchdog or the press. Only way to end it by putting the media on it. I would have done it myself but have always avoided GSP because of this fact. In fact i did some work for eBay at their head office in the UK and bought this up and they said "we'll look into it" but of course they never do.

It indeed appears to be an attempt (so far successful) to profit from deception and misrepresentation. I would say "take it public" as well.

Canada's CBC has a segment that targets exactly this type of thing; but I have already forgotten if the UK has similar... but there must be.

Found this link, in case anybody from the UK wants to contact them regarding GSP. I just submitted my complaint.

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Also, would the information on tax paid by Pitney Bowes on my behalf not be covered under the freedom of information act? are they not obligated to supply me with the details at all?

I'm proud to say I opted out of the GSP immediately when eBay 'automatically' selected it for me during their roll-out. FruckTatShizz.

Never needed it and never will.

Hurrah. eBay needs more fellas like you.

Collecting comics from Europe is frustrating enough. I just finished a 2.5 hour journey to and from the customs office to pick up a comic. I need to do this pretty much every time. meh

Hi people, here is my update.... I got a full refund :)

In a nut shell...

- I had supplied Pitney with a list of all the tax/duty exempt items I had purchased via GSP.

- They responded and highlighted the ones I was charged import fees and taxes.

- I spoke to HMRC who advised that without proof of the payments I couldn't apply for a refund.

- I contacted pitney with the list that they had provided, explaining that if I have been charged these fees, then I require proof that they had in fact paid them, otherwise its basically fraud. I also advised that if they had indeed paid them, then they will be able to reclaim them, and in turn should pass that back on to me.

- Today, out of the blue, I received Paypal refunds for all of the fees :)

Success!

For info, eBay sent me an email with the following...

I am reaching out to you in regard to the comics you recently purchased through the eBay Global Shipping Program. Our global shipping provider, Pitney Bowes notified us that you were charged import fees on several comics that you purchased. I understand that comics are exempt from import fees and I apologize for any confusion this has caused. I will be happy to look into this further.

After reviewing the transactions, I found that the reason import fees were charged for these comics was because of the category the comics had been listed in. Since the comics were listed under the main category of "collectibles," which is a category that is subject to import fees, the comic books you purchased within this category were assessed import charges.

We are happy to issue these refunds to you today and to provide additional information as to why the import fees were charged. Please be advised that if you purchase additional comic books in the future and are again charged import fees, we may not be able to reverse the charges. Since the import fees are shown upfront in the listing and are confirmed again during the eBay checkout process, we are unable to refund the charges once payment has been made.

Great job Bob! Although this portion does seem a little disheartening:

Please be advised that if you purchase additional comic books in the future and are again charged import fees, we may not be able to reverse the charges. Since the import fees are shown upfront in the listing and are confirmed again during the eBay checkout process, we are unable to refund the charges once payment has been made.

Kinda stinks that they know of the problem now, but refuse to do anything about it in the future. Something not right about that.

Alas, glad you got your dough back! :banana:

Great job Bob! Although this portion does seem a little disheartening:

Please be advised that if you purchase additional comic books in the future and are again charged import fees, we may not be able to reverse the charges. Since the import fees are shown upfront in the listing and are confirmed again during the eBay checkout process, we are unable to refund the charges once payment has been made.

Kinda stinks that they know of the problem now, but refuse to do anything about it in the future. Something not right about that.

Alas, glad you got your dough back! :banana:

Ebay are essentially saying that the onus is on the buyer for their ludicrous "import duty", rather than them simply switching comics to another category where the charges don't apply according to country.