• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are fans ruining it for themselves with TV and film cynicism?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Superhero Fandom is Ruining the Golden Age of Comic Book Movies

Superheroes have become the most profitable category in Hollywood – driving box office ticket numbers and retail merchandise sales to unparalleled heights. As we’ve previously reported, there are over forty big screen comic book adaptations (and counting) set to hit theaters through 2020 – and more to follow. With so many superhero movies in the pipeline, moviegoers will understandably have their favorites – prodding passionate discussion among fans who want to debate which hero (and film) is superior. After all, friendly competition and light-hearted arguments can be fun. That is, until that competition is no longer friendly and that argument is no longer light-hearted.

Hostile and mean-spirited fans have always existed in the entertainment industry; however, a recent rise in moviegoers who revel in tearing other people down, along with the movies, comic books, TV shows, and video games they love, rather than engaging in level-headed debate has become impossible to ignore. Somewhere along the line, a lot of us became the bullies we read superhero comic books to escape from. It might be hard for some comic readers and filmgoers to recall the time before superheroes dominated the blockbuster landscape but, as the genre continues to expand and more superheroes are added to the DCEU as well as MCU TV and movie slates, there’s no better time than the present to clean up our act – and rediscover the joy of spirited (not mean-spirited) discourse.

After all, while directors, writers, actors and producers often become the focal point of praise and/or negativity, it’s important to keep in mind that a film isn’t the work of a single person – or even a closed team. As a result, when fandom heaps vitriol onto a project, they are attacking hundreds or thousands of people that contributed to the final product – many of which love the adapted character or property just as much. For decades, behind the scenes talents were able to stay out of the crossfire but, thanks to social media, no one is safe from crusaders hell-bent on shouting down anyone they can find.

Example, a tweet that was sent to Batman V Superman cinematographer Larry Fong by a moviegoer who “stumbled onto” Fong’s Twitter account:

Q6HSvJT.png

Instead, some fans (maybe even well-meaning ones) are ruining the fun of modern comic book movie culture – a time when we should be relishing in all the great superhero programming hitting screens. Rather than geeking-out and enjoying ourselves, we’re lashing out – at anyone that doesn’t do right by our personal preferences – as if anything different is an attack on our own sensibilities. This doesn’t mean that fans shouldn’t critique superhero TV shows and films; on the contrary, studios and networks need constructive criticism now more than ever. Speak up but do so without jumping to conclusions (especially before a film or TV show even releases) – or resorting to personal attacks. We’re better than that. Along with productive (not reductive) feedback, it’s time to recognize how toxic the fan community can be and rediscover the joy these characters and stories once brought us. Otherwise, the most passionate fans among us are going to suck the fun out of this comic book movie renaissance for all of us.

After all, that’s how it starts, right? The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men… cruel?

I think ridiculous amounts of threads in forums are responsible lol

I know. Crazy that comic book fans want to discuss comic book TV shows and movies.

Better we have threads on global warming and what color sweater you should dress your dog in.

(:

I think ridiculous amounts of threads in forums are responsible lol

I know. Crazy that comic book fans want to discuss comic book TV shows and movies.

Better we have threads on global warming and what color sweater you should dress your dog in.

(:

:eyeroll: I honestly dunno how to respond to that, except like this.

Nothing against having so many movie threads, I enjoy them, even if I think the movies discussed are a mockery of what the comic has portrayed.

I'm a passionate person. I loved Apocalypse, and I was pleasantly surprised by Deadpool. Am I a negative Nancy? hm Maybe.

I dunno about you some times....

I think with your comments about enough charts and now too many TV/movie threads, I'm the person not to worry about. If you don't like the topics, find something you do like.

Better to enjoy all this massive activity centered around our hobby. And that doesn't mean you have to like everything.

I think with your comments about enough charts and now too many TV/movie threads, I'm the person not to worry about. If you don't like the topics, find something you do like.

Better to enjoy all this massive activity centered around our hobby. And that doesn't mean you have to like everything.

Not arguing that. You know, you're a bit of a jerk. Just thought I would point it out. I don't have to, but I choose to :)

Not arguing that. You know, you're a bit of a jerk. Just thought I would point it out. I don't have to, but I choose to :)

Thanks. And you are a peach for those comments. It says a lot that I don't have to waste energy to point out.

Thanks. And you are a peach for those comments. It says a lot that I don't have to waste energy to point out.

Fair enough. I know how some people perceive me, I am ok with that, because we both know how I actually am. ;) And there are some who really know me, and I am thankful for that.

sigh.... I'm sorry for crapping in your threads. I'll try to refrain from peeing in the pool.

Fanboys aren't ruining it for themselves.

TV and movie producers, directors, and screenwriters are for thinking they know better than everyone else, and altering things because of whim, ignoring years and decades of continuity, for no other reason than "they can."

And that article veritably screams of people thinking with their feelings, rather than with reason. The writer of that article sounds much like many who post here, who cannot handle being challenged, and resort to "trigger words and phrases" (like "shouting down"....what does that actually MEAN in a WRITTEN context...? Not a damn thing. But it sure SOUNDS emotive, doesn't it...?) to steer their readers in a specific direction, short on facts, but long on sensational "feel goodism."

Not that the writer doesn't make some good points...but good points buried under irrational emotionalism is useless.

It's schlock journalism.

TV and movie producers, directors, and screenwriters are for thinking they know better than everyone else, and altering things because of whim, ignoring years and decades of continuity, for no other reason than "they can."

And that article veritably screams of people thinking with their feelings, rather than with reason. The writer of that article sounds much like many who post here, who cannot handle being challenged, and resort to "trigger words and phrases" (like "shouting down"....what does that actually MEAN in a WRITTEN context...? Not a damn thing. But it sure SOUNDS emotive, doesn't it...?) to steer their readers in a specific direction, short on facts, but long on sensational "feel goodism."

Not that the writer doesn't make some good points...but good points buried under irrational emotionalism is useless.

It's schlock journalism.

lol I just found a new buzzword

Q6HSvJT.png

This is NOT an example of bullying. REPEAT: this is NOT an example of bullying. Calling it "bullying" DRASTICALLY waters down the meaning of the word, and the actual occurrence, and does an INCREDIBLE disservice to those who are really being bullied; through the fatigue of overuse...ensuring that those who are really being bullied will be ignored, because of chicken little syndrome.

It's simply some guy being an a-hole.

meh

It's schlock journalism.

I guess it's catchier than just calling it 'crappy journalism'.

It's schlock journalism.

I guess it's catchier than just calling it 'crappy journalism'.

:o

You wound me, Chuck! :cry:

Although it is more an editorial piece than reporting on some event, I can see some of your concerns. If anyone is going to venture into a project which has an established creative reference, expect you are going to get those same fans up in arms when you deviate from the accepted design and story. Especially if the movie feels horribly delivered, after the fans excitedly waited to see their favorite characters on the big screen.

In referencing the example of Larry Fong being told ' :censored:you, the movie sucked' - I see the intent differently. He is demonstrating a real-world example where someone was so offended by the production, they posted a statement like that. And yes - that person was being an a-hole for whatever reason. There was a better way to make that statement, and express the dissatisfaction.

This basically just points out 2 things. 1. People can be SPOONs when they can say whatever they want with no accountability or intent to back up what they say. Trolls and what-not... 2. Fans can be passionate about what they like and are no different than anyone else in #1. Ever been on a car forum? 10x worse. Sports forum? 100x Political forum? 1000x worse.

From my experience, the CGC forums - even with trolls - are the most respectful forums I've been a part of. I said that from day 1 and I still stand by it :acclaim:

This basically just points out 2 things. 1. People can be SPOONs when they can say whatever they want with no accountability or intent to back up what they say. Trolls and what-not... 2. Fans can be passionate about what they like and are no different than anyone else in #1. Ever been on a car forum? 10x worse. Sports forum? 100x Political forum? 1000x worse.

From my experience, the CGC forums - even with trolls - are the most respectful forums I've been a part of. I said that from day 1 and I still stand by it :acclaim:

1000% Car forums are TERRIBLE

So people should accept abominations like BATMAN & ROBIN, GREEN LANTERN, IRON MAN 2 and THOR 2 for the sake of the comic book movie's longevity in Hollywood? Screw that.

Comic book movie or not, if a film is , I will call it out. Same goes for my hate for the idiocy of BATMAN V SUPERMAN. I've already stated why I don't like this film and refuse to try to convince people who loved the Kool Aid why they should view it my way. That way leads to madness and time wasting.

Watching a dark moody mopey depressed Superman get mess on by the everyone the whole movie is really staying true to the character! Way to go DC! I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I see more and more contrarians these days just going against what is plain as day in front of their faces.

BvS was not a good movie. But because the majority can see this some people wont accept it. Man of Steel wasn't Superman. B v S wasn't a good movie..... and the Star Wars prequels are horrible.

Get over it.

Edited by Ccmp99