• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are fans ruining it for themselves with TV and film cynicism?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Watching a dark moody mopey depressed Superman get mess on by the everyone the whole movie is really staying true to the character! Way to go DC! I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I see more and more contrarians these days just going against what is plain as day in front of their faces.

BvS was not a good movie. But because the majority can see this some people wont accept it. Man of Steel wasn't Superman. B v S wasn't a good movie..... and the Star Wars prequels are horrible.

Get over it.

Majority? Really? Doesn't seem like the majority of people thought BvS was not a good movie based on the revenue and the Rotten Tomato scores.

Seems to me like the Star Wars prequels did okay for themselves too. (shrug)

Is it just movies you don't like that are bad movies?

I think fans were really hard on BvS. I really enjoyed it despite some of it's flaws.

I think it is good for Warner Bros. to hear the opinions, but at the end of the day, this movie is a hit for them. They can adjust going forward. The problem is everyone is trying to compare this movie to the 2 or 3 hit movies Marvel had. Marvel took time to get to the point they are at.

Compared to Marvel's sophomore movie, the Incredible Hulk, DC is doing just fine.

Edited by rjrjr

I think fans were really hard on BvS. I really enjoyed it despite some of it's flaws.

I think it is good for Warner Bros. to hear the opinions, but at the end of the day, this movie is a hit for them. They can adjust going forward. The problem is everyone is trying to compare this movie to the 2 or 3 hit movies Marvel had. Marvel took time to get to the point they are at.

Compared to Marvel's sophomore movie, the Incredible Hulk, DC is doing just fine.

its great to 'be a hit', but a lot of times its more about return on investment, in which case it doesn't look like this movie did too well. And yes, I get that there's a lot more money to make still, but I doubt that anyone was going into it thinking, "We're going to make a little less than 10% profit on the most anticipated superhero movie in history." There's easier ways to get a 10% return in 2 years when you invest $1B dollars, especially for people smart enough to get the point where they have $1B to invest.

BUT I do think DC/Warner met some of their goals. They got Ben Affleck accepted as Batman, and got people really excited for a Wonder Woman movie. And somewhat excited about future Justice League movies (but I also think most agree that part could have been handled better). But I also know a LOT of people who saw this movie who absolutely WILL NOT watch Justice League if its directed by Zack Snyder.

its great to 'be a hit', but a lot of times its more about return on investment, in which case it doesn't look like this movie did too well. And yes, I get that there's a lot more money to make still, but I doubt that anyone was going into it thinking, "We're going to make a little less than 10% profit on the most anticipated superhero movie in history." There's easier ways to get a 10% return in 2 years when you invest $1B dollars, especially for people smart enough to get the point where they have $1B to invest.

lol

BUT I do think DC/Warner met some of their goals. They got Ben Affleck accepted as Batman, and got people really excited for a Wonder Woman movie. And somewhat excited about future Justice League movies (but I also think most agree that part could have been handled better). But I also know a LOT of people who saw this movie who absolutely WILL NOT watch Justice League if its directed by Zack Snyder.

Warner Bros. is making much more than 10% profit. lol This movie will easily pass 2.5x budget and everything over that is gravy.

Then there are the ad tie ins which are huge for a movie like this. Then you have to figure the merchandise. And if anyone believes this won't sell as videos to home audiences, well, they are kidding themselves. You also have the pay channels.

Just on the tie-in products alone, movies like this can break even. Didn't Man of Steel break even before the movie was even released to theaters? I know this was the case with The Force Awakens.

So, the fact that I liked BvS makes me wrong? lol

Everyone will have their own opinions and that is fine. Just disagree in a civil way and there are no problems.

That's the point missed earlier. And no reason to go track down the creators and tell them ' :censored: you' on something they posted. Better to point out what you didn't care for civilly, and hopefully enough people will join in to demonstrate to the studios they missed the mark.

Except if it is a bad Hellboy movie. Then all bets are off - someone's going down!

:sumo:

(:

This basically just points out 2 things. 1. People can be SPOONs when they can say whatever they want with no accountability or intent to back up what they say. Trolls and what-not... 2. Fans can be passionate about what they like and are no different than anyone else in #1. Ever been on a car forum? 10x worse. Sports forum? 100x Political forum? 1000x worse.

From my experience, the CGC forums - even with trolls - are the most respectful forums I've been a part of. I said that from day 1 and I still stand by it :acclaim:

1000% Car forums are TERRIBLE

lol true. I used to belong to a BMW M3 forum that had an Audi S4 guy troll CONSTANTLY. The equivalent here would be a PGX bro slamming everyone's CGC grades. Turns out the guy didn't even own an S4. Devils advocate trolling? :devil:

Watching a dark moody mopey depressed Superman get mess on by the everyone the whole movie is really staying true to the character! Way to go DC! I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I see more and more contrarians these days just going against what is plain as day in front of their faces.

BvS was not a good movie. But because the majority can see this some people wont accept it. Man of Steel wasn't Superman. B v S wasn't a good movie..... and the Star Wars prequels are horrible.

Get over it.

Majority? Really? Doesn't seem like the majority of people thought BvS was not a good movie based on the revenue and the Rotten Tomato scores.

Seems to me like the Star Wars prequels did okay for themselves too. (shrug)

Is it just movies you don't like that are bad movies?

You could stamp the Star Wars logo in front of two hours of kittens playing the piano and it would make over 500 million worldwide opening weekend. It would also be a better movie than the prequels.

You make a movie called batman v superman and it will make millions regardless of how good it is. (And it has.)

It's duping the fan base, taking advantage of their hopes for a great movie and delivering them shined up real pretty. They're the movies we need but not the movies we deserve.

At least Force Awakens wasn't disappointing. Anyway just my opinion but I want my Superman movie to be uplifting and inspirational, like the character is supposed to be. Not some dark depressing kryptonian knight crossbreed cgi crapfest. But to each their own I suppose. Glad you settled for another mediocre DC MOVIE.

Interesting article/opinion piece on the challenges studios need to better managing when adding new content to established franchises. Especially those with an existing fan base that then comes with expectations and assumptions due to previous content and experiences.

Although he included long-standing reality shows as well, the concept is similar: new building upon previously released sources. And the challenges this brings if studios are not careful.

When content meets fandom – the risks and rewards of fan engagement

Joe Moring, head of community & Partnerships at SHARE Creative, explores the pros and cons of interacting with a programme’s – often vocal – fanbase, from toxic viewers to campaigns to save series from cancellation.

With so many shows hitting screens this summer which carry significant established fan audiences, from House Of The Dragon to The Sandman, and of course Amazon’s Lord Of The Rings prequel, showrunners may be feeling pretty confident of success. Not to mention the relative ease of commissioning a show based on existing, tried and tested IP in these turbulent but content-hungry times. And yet, these audiences can be just as likely to critique a show even ahead of time as they are to embrace it. It’s something we’ve already seen with the still-rumbling debates around CGI in early trailers for She-Hulk.

At their worst, show fandoms can become toxic, bullying, and tribal. It can highlight a vocal minority rather than silent majorities of viewers. On the flipside, the power of fan communities for good is well known – especially when it comes to overcoming show cancellations or even fan-funding show returns. It’s rare to find a content property these days that doesn’t need to at least consider a social strategy and weigh up an approach to fan engagement as part of the marketing strategy.