• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about CGC holder....when is it considered compromised?

3 posts in this topic

I recently bought 2 high value slabbed books and I can't tell whether the books has been compromised. One of the books already came cracked so I'm going to get it recased anyway but does anyone know at what point does CGC negate the grade assigned? If I get the book recased, will I have any problems with CGC?

Also, I paid for the books via PayPal through my credit card. Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of recourse I have if I have difficulty with the seller?

First thing I would do is contact the seller and let him know that his packaging sucked which caused the case to crack ( I saw the scans blush.gif ). I would then call CGC, ask for the grader's notes and compare the flaws they noted with the book which is currently inside the case. If the flaws match up, the book inside the case is probably legit.

About reslabbing...

CGC will reholder cracked cases in most scenarios. Here is the quote from their website:

"Re-Holder Service is for a chipped, scratched or cracked holder that has not been opened or had its seals broken. We will place your comic in a new holder."

I have had some really bad cases of holders being cracked and they gladly fixed them without any problems. I recently cracked out a Marvel Team-Up #1 to inspect it before resubmission and in this case CGC will not reholder the book since the seals had been broken. You should be fine smile.gif