• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Con vs Heroes Con - Polls on which you would chose

Baltimore vs Heroes - Sellers Stand Point  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Baltimore vs Heroes - Sellers Stand Point

18 posts in this topic

Looks like I can set up at either Con this year but only one of them. I of course can set up at one and attend the other just to buy books but for this discussion lets assume I can only attend one of them. Which do you chose for a sellers stand point and which from a buyers stand point?

I would assume you've taken into account the cost for each and both are relatively the same

booth fees, travel costs, time etc? or does one have different costs relative to the other?

I would assume you've taken into account the cost for each and both are relatively the same

booth fees, travel costs, time etc? or does one have different costs relative to the other?

I'd say both are about equal since booth fees are about equal - travel time and expenses are more to Charlotte but I get a free room with family down in Charlotte.

I love Heroes, but I can't truly critique between the two because the Baltimore Con always falls in a time frame that is a fire storm between my wife's birthday and work being annually nuts in late August/ early Sept and I always miss it...

It kills me since it's close and I hear great things, but that's the breaks.

June however is perfect, work is slow and no engagements that I have to be there for, thus I am a heroes regular.

Based on the small sample size it looks like people are saying Heroes is the better buying Con but Baltimore is much better in terms of selling. Interesting.

I'm definitely leaning toward Baltimore since it sounds like I can split a corner booth and the on-site grading is a plus. Any more reasons why one is better?

I love Heroes, but I can't truly critique between the two because the Baltimore Con always falls in a time frame that is a fire storm between my wife's birthday and work being annually nuts in late August/ early Sept and I always miss it...

It kills me since it's close and I hear great things, but that's the breaks.

June however is perfect, work is slow and no engagements that I have to be there for, thus I am a heroes regular.

It was great meeting you last year and if I come down to shop maybe we can meet up for a meal.

Based on the small sample size it looks like people are saying Heroes is the better buying Con but Baltimore is much better in terms of selling. Interesting.

I'm definitely leaning toward Baltimore since it sounds like I can split a corner booth and the on-site grading is a plus. Any more reasons why one is better?

See SOT/NWO's post above about the two.

From my experience, I have found a better selection of the books I collect (mostly SA marvels, leaning towards higher grades) at Baltimore. More dealers catering to that type of customer vs lots-o-bargain books/$1 bins.

Now, that IS NOT saying you can't find that stuff at Heroes. Dale Roberts sets up there and he has the goods. Harley sets up there. And a few others.

Just more of those types of dealers in B'more.

See SOT/NWO's post above about the two.

From my experience, I have found a better selection of the books I collect (mostly SA marvels, leaning towards higher grades) at Baltimore. More dealers catering to that type of customer vs lots-o-bargain books/$1 bins.

Now, that IS NOT saying you can't find that stuff at Heroes. Dale Roberts sets up there and he has the goods. Harley sets up there. And a few others.

Just more of those types of dealers in B'more.

I think it depends on what type of books you collect.

Heroes has probably 60 or 70 guys with comics. Lots of cheap boxes and lots of good stuff from dealers you don't see beyond that region. If you are looking for a show with 20 copies of AF #15, Heroes is not that show. If you are looking for a show which you can pick up books you are not going to see elsewhere, then Heroes would be a better show. If you are looking for a show you can buy a short box of $5.00 books which you can probably get $100 each for once you get them graded, Heroes is the show for you. If you are looking for lots of Silver, Bronze, & Golden Age at all sorts of different price points and grades, then Heroes is the show for you. If you are looking for boxes upon boxes of $2.00 comics, then Heroes is the show for you.

Baltimore = $ is spent and business gets done

Heroes: Were dorks talk but don't walk the walk.

From a dealer who has not missed a Heroes Con since 1996, this is simply not true.

Baltimore is a nice show, but there are FAR too many books in the room for the amount of money the customers have.

I am going both shows, but if they were the same weekend, I would be at Heroes everytime.

Baltimore = $ is spent and business gets done

Heroes: Were dorks talk but don't walk the walk.

From a dealer who has not missed a Heroes Con since 1996, this is simply not true.

Baltimore is a nice show, but there are FAR too many books in the room for the amount of money the customers have.

I am going both shows, but if they were the same weekend, I would be at Heroes everytime.

I went to both shows last year but I wore different hats at both of them so I saw them differently. At Heroes I was splitting a booth and it was my first Con as a seller so I was in my booth 90% of the time. The couple times I got a chance to venture out I did see guys like Nick selling nice books are bargain prices but I didn't buy much at that show. It would be nice to go Heroes just as a buyer and see what I missed.

Baltimore on the other hand I was in Murph's booth very little and spent all three days buying books and I was shocked how many deals there was to be had especially at the guy selling $2/$5 books. The only negative I saw was a lot of the Ohio/PA dealers set up at Baltimore and I've seen their stock dozens of times whereas Heroes seemed to be far enough away to keep the northern dealers away.

It sounds like I need to go to heroes to buy

1cool should sell at both to get me in

:whee:

It's your world Hector and we just all live in it.

Both shows are far enough apart on the calendar ...... use some of the proceeds from the first to fund the trip to the second. If your inventory can't deliver at the first, it won't likely deliver at the second..... these are both huge shows with a lot of competition, probably not a good fit as a set-up for the typical weekend warrior. Both are fantastic shows to attend as a buyer, especially if you go with goals set. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Both shows are far enough apart on the calendar ...... use some of the proceeds from the first to fund the trip to the second. If your inventory can't deliver at the first, it won't likely deliver at the second..... these are both huge shows with a lot of competition, probably not a good fit as a set-up for the typical weekend warrior. Both are fantastic shows to attend as a buyer, especially if you go with goals set. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've got 3 more local shows this year (after already doing the Cleveland Wizard) so I don't have enough books to justify both big out of town shows. But I've made up my mind that I'll split a booth at Baltimore and do some buying down at Heroes. Now I've got to figure out if it makes more sense to fly or drive the 8 hours to Charlotte.