• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This really burns me

47 posts in this topic

With an OEM version of software the SPA would have to prove the owner didn't obtain it legally. The burden of proof would be on them. I have software that came with hardware and the hardware is long gone, but I still own the software.

OEM hardware also holds the same "restrictions", but it's direct sale is rampant and no one seems to care enough to try to stop it.

Yep...they're probably just glad you're not downloading it for free. Wouldn't be hard to get the evidence to bust a bunch of people for it, though, given that all you've gotta do is search on EBay to find hundreds or thousands of offenders.

You may as well just download the software from a pirate web site...buying an OEM copy for $38 if it's not with a system is about as illegal as downloading a copy for free.

Downlaod the software from a pirate web site? I've NEVER done this with software, and I don't plan on starting either. How difficult would it be for the "pirates" to include a virus like a trojan horse with one of the downloads? Believe it or not, I'm one of the two people using the internet that never downloaded copyrighted music through Napster.

So your saying that an OEM copy, by law, must be sold with "A SYSTEM", but can't legally be sold with a piece of hardware?

James, I'm no lawman, I don't know (and reading through legal terminology to gain an understanding can be a gunuine choir) ALL the laws and regulations that apply to software, to assume that everyone SHOULD is unrealistic.

Just in case you didn't read the auction that your referring to...

"THIS IS A BRAND NEW COMPLETE "OEM" FULL INSTALLATION PACKAGE-TO COMPLY WITH MICROSOFT POLICIES REGARDING THE SALE OF "OEM" PRODUCTS,A PIECE OF NON-PERIPHERAL COMPUTER HARDWARE WILL BE INCLUDED WITH THIS ITEM"

So even though the seller is including a piece of hardware, the sale is illegal huh? confused.gif

Either way, you wouldn't survive an audit. I guess the SPA doesn't typically audit individuals anyway, and even if an auction you were participating in got singled out to make an example for the rest of us, they'd be more likely to go for the seller than the buyer.

Tough talk mister, and I'm sure that you've NEVER downloaded ANYTHING that by law you shouldn't, and I'm sure that you ALWAYS go to your local Wall-Mart and pay the suggested retail price and take it up the [!@#%^&^] like a good citizen if the program does not work on you machine, because we both know once you open the box, it's yours, there are no returns for software. Yeah, those Adobe programs are worth the hundreds of dollars charged for them. smirk.gif Right, and the competition even though they have just as many programmers to pay (maybe even more talented ones), the same size box, and a mannual, their product is worth hundreds less. smirk.gif

Sorry to disappoint you James, but I'm going to continue buying OEM software that I can afford (as long as it's available), regardless of what you think about it. If you want to think I'm an immoral person for doing so, then go right ahead, you can think whatever you would like about me.

Grrrrrrr. mad.gif That's it!!! The Bachelor of Comics has had enough. BOC is leaving the CGC chat board. The Bachelor of Comics has left the building. wink.gif BTW, your post in response to my off topic post was off topic. Soooo back to rustysstarwars........

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

Soooo back to rustysstarwars....

I was very upset because he had several items that were not of deceptive nature (f'in fake CGCs - what a maroon...) . He had several 70's lots of Marvel runs which had some pretty good looking Marvel price variants in there. Next thing I know I get the admin warning from eBay saying these items were cancelled. Probably his only legit items but still wish I could get a shot at those...maybe I'll email him privately, that cheating ... grin.gif

Didn't state any opinions in my message, nor did I make any assessments of your character. It was just a warning about the legality of that stuff. Don't shoot the messenger; I didn't create patent law nor did I come up with the OEM software licensing system. I mostly pointed it out because that $38 went for pretty much nothing except the 50-cent CD the software was buned onto since that kind of sale is illegal by nature. If you're gonna say screw it to intellectual property law, there would be very little legal difference if you just said "screw it" all the way and downloaded it for free. Not that I'm advocating either approach.

The negs continue to trickle in......

cat-thrower(0) Mar-11-03 22:50:32 PST (private) S Complaint : Claimed it was a sealed 9.2 before opened? With marvel chipping and tears? avoid

If I were CGC, I would be royally choked that this guy misrepresented POS comics as previously CGC graded & recently cracked from the slab.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

This guy has to be kicked off Ebay for the sake of "the good guys"...
Getting guys like this kicked off of their system is so far down their priority list that it makes me sick...E-Bay's fraud prevention is a "60 Minutes" expose waiting to happen.

I let him know "the good guys" were watching his auctions and also asked him to not sell any more comics on e-bay. He told me those comics he just sold, were a once in a lifetime sale and wouldn't be selling anymore. Although I was trying to be polite and courteous in my exchange, he still suggested I get a life, along with the rest of us.

Emailed him again congratulating him on giving a 5 year seller with over 900 positives his first neg. (Read your post araich). This time I wasn't that polite and actually resorted to name-calling. Arch wouldn't appreciate what I wrote, so because I respect this forum, I will refrain from writing what I called him.

I mean, if ya' can't spend your spare time bashing e-bay rip-off sellers, life just isn't worth living. grin.gif

Rick, I noticed that you've been posting more lately! So...are you on a permanent holiday because the cameras finally caught you palming those chips? crazy.gifshocked.gif

Har Dee Har Har...Yar!

Tell you what, Mr Detective, compare the times of this post and my previous one. Then check out when I posted items on Ebay today. Of course, you don't need my user ID...because you already know it, right? wink.gif The results should explain at least today's posts (quick, someone get greggy a calculator).

Oh and By the By, stop hi-jacking other threads. I thought hi-jacking mine would have sated your blood lust. But Nooooooo! mad.gif

Rick