• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics addictive?

75 posts in this topic

I think I am addicted to the "thrill of the hunt". Why else would a normal sane person get up at 3:00 AM and go out into the cold to hunt junk with a flashlight?

The "chase" is much more fun than the piece it'self...

Is there a lot of hunting these days though? Most comics are readily available and the biggest obstacle is money. (shrug)

Yes there are exceptions, but the majority of comics are pretty easy to find online.

I have to agree with ROBOT...there's something much more satisfying about the challenge . There's nothing wrong with buying it outright, but the thrill that comes with "the win" when you've earned it is unmatched...

It may be a personality type...who knows...but I enjoy the same challenge in gambling and women . I'd rather play a game of Hold'em against two guys I know are cheating instead of two guys who have never played before and I'd rather hunt for that book rather than go online and just buy it. But, I'm not Indiana Jones and I don't have time to hunt for my Grail very often so I do spend a lot of time on line because I still need to feed the drive.

OH I dunno, you going to make another man crush thread? I might consider it

Having an interest in someone and and having a crush are two different things. You're holding the cards... no crush thread unless you want me to.

So you are admitting you have a crush on me?

Depends on what you mean by crush. I think you're very different than me, which is intriguing and I love your responses. It feels genuine and you come off as being really cute.

What just happened? (shrug)

and..what did I miss here ??? Maybe I found a new challenge :foryou:

Definitely addicted to the thrill of the hunt. I wouldn't willingly waste my time driving out into the sticks just to look at a bunch of waterlogged Vampirella's otherwise. My dad turned me on to flea markets when I was a little kid, and the love of wheeling and dealing has stuck ever since. I love owning stuff, but I also love selling stuff. And to sell stuff, you gotta buy stuff. It's a never-ending cycle, and it's a joy.

Since this is Spring Break, work is slow this week (I work for the local school district) so I've decided to take off Friday. Already have a list of yard and estate sales to check out!

And while it's true that the internet has killed some of the thrill of the chase, it's still not completely dead. Sure, you can log on to ebay or MCS or Mile High and find most of the books on your list, but it's still not always easy to find YOUR book. Not all Near Mints are created equal, etc. Even slabbed copies are not all the same. Maybe you're obsessed with finding the perfect wrap, or perfectly centered cut. Even with all of the options at your finger tips, finding the precise book you want can still be a challenge.

So, yeah, short version: totally addicted, not looking to rehab any time soon.

Having an interest in someone and and having a crush are two different things. You're holding the cards... no crush thread unless you want me to.

Depends on what you mean by crush. I think you're very different than me, which is intriguing and I love your responses. It feels genuine and you come off as being really cute.

Did-we-just-become-best-friends_zpsl84kq12r.gif

Did-we-just-become-best-friends_zpsl84kq12r.gif

I officially hate you lol

Fear and desperation about being left behind by the herd, rather than addiction, explains a lot of the frenzied behaviour that you observe in both the cycle of going to the LCS for new stuff each week, year in, year out, and also the flipper / speculation market. Now that I’ve missed six years of new comics and, over the same period, watched so many back issues rise to prices that I’m unwilling to pay, I’ve found calm detachment preferable and easier to maintain than anxious, primal fear, and have discovered that there really wasn’t a monkey on my back to begin with.

Fear and desperation about being left behind by the herd, rather than addiction, explains a lot of the frenzied behaviour that you observe in both the cycle of going to the LCS for new stuff each week, year in, year out, and also the flipper / speculation market. Now that I’ve missed six years of new comics and, over the same period, watched so many back issues rise to prices that I’m unwilling to pay, I’ve found calm detachment preferable and easier to maintain than anxious, primal fear, and have discovered that there really wasn’t a monkey on my back to begin with.

^^

I met a guy recently, in his mid 40's who lives in his apartment alone. He's a mechanic and right after work, he says he goes home to his comics. No girlfriend, no huge savings (other than his comics), and not many friends.

I can't figure out if he prefers comics over... people or if his obsessive hobby keeps him from having a life outside of comics. I guess as long as he's happy that's all that matters but I can't help thinking he could be happier.

People suck, I have no patience for them. I'm 36, and after my job in customer service, I come home to a wonderfully quiet house as well :P

If you really feel this way, you may want to talk to someone about it. For all the wrong that people do, it would be a shame for you to miss out on the good that people are capable of. Being in customer service, you're getting the brunt of only the bad stuff. It doesn't mean that's all there is. Stay strong fellow collector ^_^

I used to be addictive to collecting comics. The thrill of the hunt, the anticipation of the arrival, etc. So much fun. Now my addiction go to this one mobile app. I spend an entry fee of $6 and $0 since. I am still completely captivated by the game two years later and probably saved hundreds of dollars spent on other entertainment.

I am trying to get back into comics BUT the prices are crazy high. I could get a small reading stack for what 1 comic cost today. That isn't fun at all. Oh, I could just get the trade. That statement actually makes so much more sense in today market. HOWEVER, those are mostly OOP and just as expensive. :ohnoez:

It is hard to come back into this hobby and want to enjoy comics for what they originated as reading material. I dabbed a bit this year and got my three small runs that will take me through the summer. Filled in some holes in my collection thanks to the sales forum here. Now it is back to grinding on my app game.

Alright..... what's the game?

You may be saving us hundreds/thousands of dollars!

He should be sniffing newsprint directly from an interior page through the straw, not the cover. That's filtering the effect.

He should be sniffing newsprint directly from an interior page through the straw, not the cover. That's filtering the effect.

Clearly the Batman mask is having no effect other than being bad-.