• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emerald City Comic Con, March 2-5, 2017, Seattle, Washington
2 2

171 posts in this topic

ECCC is not what it used to be (good and not good).  Not good, because the comic book dealers are pretty much getting pushed out the door.  I looked at a few books but the prices were way more than I was willing to spend (I bought one modern - lol).  I looked at a few books and was interested in several at Greg Reeces booth, but just wasn't interested in haggling over prices (not sure if they even will).  Gaming, statues, memorabilia and cosplayers were everywhere.  What I enjoyed the most (the good) and where I spent most of my time, was the new artist area.  They moved all the writers and artist this year to one floor.  Finally met Rob Liefeld. He was extremely nice and took a picture with me.  Got a sketch from Tim Vigil and Buzz (enjoyed talking to them).  DScott and Snyder had a line at their table (I went back later and picked up a copy of witches).  I also ran into Joey and Greggy (perhaps they could remind me (again) who the other boardie was that was with them), and I didn't get a chance to say hello to Royce (Toast).  My highlight at the end of the day was getting my picture taken with Stan Lee.  It's pricey but I figured this may be the last time I got a chance to meet him.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:31 AM, wasonff said:

Napping??

You know it. 

Left the show early today as the buying was light. Did pick up a few nice bronze picture frame books and traded for a low grade FF 1

19 hours ago, joeypost said:

You know it. 

Left the show early today as the buying was light. Did pick up a few nice bronze picture frame books and traded for a low grade FF 1

Love that you're still hunting down those picture frames.  Some are so tough to track down.

Give Greg a kick for me.

18 hours ago, mschmidt said:

I saw this when you subbed it at the CGC booth - looked stunning in hand!

Thanks, super excited to add it to my venom collection.

Here are the other 2 sketches i got at eccc.

The ivy is 11x17 from Mirka, love it! My gotham city sirena trifecta is nearly complete, just neee a catwoman.

The batman is from scott snyder.

IMG_20170305_160446_000.jpg

IMG_20170303_230003_116.jpg

On 3/4/2017 at 10:42 AM, Everett McGill said:

ECCC is not what it used to be (good and not good).  Not good, because the comic book dealers are pretty much getting pushed out the door.  I looked at a few books but the prices were way more than I was willing to spend (I bought one modern - lol).  I looked at a few books and was interested in several at Greg Reeces booth, but just wasn't interested in haggling over prices (not sure if they even will).  Gaming, statues, memorabilia and cosplayers were everywhere.  What I enjoyed the most (the good) and where I spent most of my time, was the new artist area.  They moved all the writers and artist this year to one floor.  Finally met Rob Liefeld. He was extremely nice and took a picture with me.  Got a sketch from Tim Vigil and Buzz (enjoyed talking to them).  DScott and Snyder had a line at their table (I went back later and picked up a copy of witches).  I also ran into Joey and Greggy (perhaps they could remind me (again) who the other boardie was that was with them), and I didn't get a chance to say hello to Royce (Toast).  My highlight at the end of the day was getting my picture taken with Stan Lee.  It's pricey but I figured this may be the last time I got a chance to meet him.

I agree with this.

On 2017-03-04 at 10:42 AM, Everett McGill said:

I'll take your word since you had been there more than one time in the past. For me, being that it is my first time I have no comparable from past ECCC cons to present. As for the prices on comics, it is funny but I actually got $50 off on a $200 book from one dealer ( no haggling, he offered to me that way).  I didn't buy much other than small purchases, due to some folks grabbed lots of good deals before the show opened on Thursday but I expected for that anyway. Not complaining, I just go there for the fun and enjoy the scenes.

On 3/4/2017 at 2:51 PM, joeypost said:

You know it. 

Well, hopefully we will see you in Tampa next weekend Joe.  I'd be willing to bet the buying will be better, relative to the miles you travel, and you won't have to fly 6k+ miles round trip either.  And Greggy won't be there, so there's a plus.  ^^

Edited by JiveTurkeyMoFo

My first time at ECCC (Fri afternoon - Sun morning spent at the show). I had a wonderful time. I did absolutely 0 panels, no standing in Funko line and no celeb autographs. I spent the entire time getting comics signed by creators/artists and interacting with facilitators there. I got about 80 books either submitted to CGC SS or off to go to other cons for more signatures. 80% of those are PC and then the rest to sell to help cover some of my costs.

I found the CGC witnessing to be great. I didn't do any on-site grading, but I used the witnesses a lot. Great group, friendly, informative and available almost always when I needed one. 

My highlights were getting about 20 books signed by J Scott Campbell (sorry to those behind me ha), 3 books by Lemire, 10 by Soule and 11 signed by Craig Kyle at the CGC booth. Kyle was extremely nice and great to talk to. Above anyone else, he seemed like the kind of guy who it would be a blast to go get a beer with. Other than that, I did a little shopping on the last day. Pink T is for my 2 year old daughter. Wubalubadubdub!

IMG_1079.JPG

My legs were so tired at the end of each day, but felt good to have a few drinks after a successful time each night.

I had one disappointment: Since JSC missed his flight, he wasn't going to be there. But, he got there last minute. So, I didn't fully prep my books. I saw the line and jumped in. I damaged my NM/M copy of Guardians of the Galaxy 4 Gamora cover after he signed it. Not terribly bad, but enough to drop the grade. Sucks. First expensive book Ive ever damaged. Lesson learned, at the very least, spend the time to prep the expensive/favorite ones.

Edited by kevhtx